Looking for advice on first dollhouse

amyinOR

I am wanting to build my girls a dollhouse. I have two girls that are 15 months apart. I am only wanting to build one dollhouse as I have one from my grandfather. I am looking for a dollhouse that will accommodate 2 kids. I really like the Fairfield with 2 separate play areas but it's pretty small. I was looking on craigslist and found a mostly put together Victorian Mansion by Dura Craft. I then started researching Dura Craft dollhouses and found The Alexandria has 2 play areas. But I also really like The Garfield but I don't think it would accomodate 2 kids.

So, my question is: are there any other dollhouses with 2 seperate play areas that I've missed? Or is The Alexandria a good choice? It seems to be priced good! I know they're out of buisiness.

My girls are only 5 and 3 1/2 so I have plenty of time!

The problem with the garfield or the pierce or the fairfield is that they are an L shape and so the 'reach in' area is half of a regular straight shaped house. The garfield is a huge house as well.

Quite frankly I would recommend 2 smaller houses. Get an orchid and an arthur. Both are simple builds. One has more gingerbread than the other. Each girl could choose her OWN colors. No elbowing for play room space.

Our eldest granddaughter and three of her cousins played quite nicely with her dhs, you would be amazed at how well multiple children can play nicely with one house. I would supervise their play the first few times with any hand-made toy. The Glencroft or Orchid are also nice four-room houses.

I bashed a Sugarplum with an extra wall for three little girls to play with.

I am giving my nieces, who are 16 months apart, a San Fran for Christmas. This house is pretty symmetrical, so I'm thinking it will work well. I am putting an extra wall in the second floor on the other side of the staircase so the two rooms will be the same size, and each will have their "own" room.

But, both girls and their little brother have all played with my McKinley at the same time, and as Holly said, they all played very nicely with it.

Thanks all for your responses. I am going tomorrow to pick up a dollhouse kit. The seller has lots of duracraft and greenleaf kits that he assembles and sells. So from what he has available, I'll pick one out.

He has several Alexandria kits and said he'd go through one to make sure it's complete and unbroken, $100 for that kit. I thought that was a deal! I figured I'd buy the kit and have to buy another if there were problems.