Family Home

Hallowell

Oh what a fabulous idea, I always wanted to build a replica of the house my ex and I built. It was a kit home and was long with a verandah all the way along both sides, 100 feet of verandah, and I had a fernery built all the way along one verandah and it was enclosed with a spa bath and many many ferns and hanging baskets etc, it was a paradise.

The house was just long with the lounge kitchen main bedroom ensuite etc at one end and the bathroom laundry and other bedrooms at the other end.

It had cathedral ceilings and exposed beams. Sort of a rustic farm type house, it was really lovely, a little like the Brookwood, only single story, I even had the open fireplace, It would be quite easy to replicate I think, yes I will do it one day.

And the other that I grew up in is a big ole farm house just a square with a verandah all the way around it.

Please show us If you decide to do it, it would be fun top build a replica of the homes you have lived in.

Your house is so pretty. It would be fun to do the family home.

The half scale model that I picked out of someones garbage would work for the ranch home that I live in now, I had found a paper in it that said the students name and it was part of an architechial (SP?) class project. The frame is built and he only had to put part of the roofing on, and some of the siding. I would do it with the roof lifting off to display the rooms. That way all of the house could be seen. There is a middle hallway already.

I do have an old Artplay or Arrow deluxe kit downstairs that would work for the home that I grew up in.

The house you were born in looks like a farmhouse that had sections built on as the family grew. Makes for an interesting house.

I don't remember anything about the first house I lived in, nor much about my grandparents' row house in Cleveland (three rooms deep and two stories plus an attic & basement), and neither the hotel nor the bungalow I grew up in in FL were anything I'd care to reproduce in mini. Probably the house we lived in when WE lived in OH, and definitely make it out of cardboard!

I lived in a 2-flat in Chicago until I was 13 and then in a one-bedroom apartment until I got married at 18. The 2-flat would work as a dollhouse and would be fun to recreate. Something happened to the original over the years - the neighborhood is still there but where my house stood is a vacant lot with lots of big trees. What I'd REALLY love to do is the vacation cottage my parents had in Fox Lake, Illinois. If I ever see a kit that resembles it I'll sure go for it.

Greg, both homes are beautiful! To do them in miniature will be a wonderful, lasting tribute to both. Have you decided on which kits to use for them, or will you be building from scratch?

I lived in so many houses growing up that none of them were ever home. But I also have a need to create my background in miniature and have been planning on building my dad's birthplace.

post-329-1227732186_thumb.jpg

It'll be a Madison/Adams bash. The Adams will be the lean-to kitchen. The original house was built on Logan's Ridge in the Ozark mountains in the 1800's.

I sent Wolfie a picture of my great-grandmother who built this house and established the farm (on her own with just the help of my then 14 year old grandfather). Wolfie is making a doll of her for me and I'm so excited about that! I'm currently working on a witch's supply store and that's where the doll will be most of the time, at least till the house is built. Great-grandma didn't have a store, but she was the healer/herbalist who took care of most of the mountain folk during her lifetime.

Deb

Hi Deb :)

Looks like a great project and preserving a piece of our family history in miniature does make a great tribute to our past.

I will be scratchbuilding both of my family homes, I will have to try to come as close to the dimensions of the farmhouse as I can because it no longer exists but I was able to sneak into a window before it was torn down and got some grat pictures of the interior. It had been almost 40 years since I stepped foot into that hose, very eerie but soothing. I had forgotten how the upstairs looked so it was a surprize to me. :)

gallery_3397_2498_353089.jpg

This is the cottage in England that my mom lives it. We moved there when I was about 16 years old. The center part of the cottage is nearly 300 years old. I'd love to make this in miniature one day. It would work really well as a dollhouse, as it is mainly only 1 room deep.

And the wisteria... I'm drooling.

I know, my mom is a great gardener and she labors over that wisteria every year! Some years the frost get the flower buds, but the year this photo was taken was a good one! Oh and I'm only 5'4" tall, but I have to duck to get under the branch of it to get to the front door! The ceilings inside the house are only 6'3" tall as well!!!!

I will make that house one day - I'm just not sure if I would want to decorate it the way it is now, or in a different style? Or maybe a mixture?