tape wire and eyelets

AmyD

Help. I am be doing something wrong but here's my problem. I started tapewiring (first time) and unless I'm miss understanding the instructions that came with the kit (cir-kit concepts starter kit) I thought that you were suppose to use the eyelets to plug the lamp's plug into for a connection) I'm using Houseworks Hurricane lamps. But the eyelets that came with the kit don't seem to fit. They seem to be too small. I tested the tapewire that is down and the tester probe lits up and I've wired a small lite directly to some barbs and that works as well. The connections is good. I just can't seem to get the plug into the eyelets, Does anyone have any ideas????

thanks

Amy

From what I understand (I have not started my wiring yet), the eyelets that come with the kit are just for connecting. Like the brads only a little bigger. If you want to connect a light to eyelets directly you have to buy bigger eyelets. At least that is what I got out of the instruction book. Maybe someone on here that has more experience tape wiring would have more answers for you.

Oh, I thinks me is confussed about what I"m doing...lol wouldn't be the first time. How do I connect a lamp that has a plug if the wiring kit didn't come with any outlets? It came with the junction splice thingie. Do I have to cut the plug off the lamp, strip the wires and hard wire them directly??

You can buy pound-in-receptacles to plug into, if you choose not to bare the wires, and hook into the eyelets. I found it to be a much easier way of doing things! The receptacles, come 4 in a pack, for a couple of bucks, they are forced into the tape wire and are used the same way, RL outlets are. Otherwise, pull the metal prongs off the plugs with plyers, gently straight out, push back the plug, separate the 2 wire strands, remove the plug entirely, put each strand through an eyelet, fold it back, and give it a slight twist. Make a little pilot hole, one in each color of tape, (Do not let wires tough each other) and push the eylet, one in each hole, for direct wiring to the tape. Good luck, have fun! It's gets easier after you done the first one. Always test as you go.

put each strand through an eyelet, fold it back, and give it a slight twist. Make a little pilot hole, one in each color of tape, (Do not let wires tough each other) and push the eylet, one in each hole, for direct wiring to the tape.

This is a good method and will allow you to use the small eyelets that came with the kit.

:headhurts:

I went to one store today and they didn't have any larger eyelets or any type of plugs. There is another store but it's a 40 minute drive from my house, and I hate to travel all that distance for just a couple of eyelets or plugs. But on the other hand I want to get the wiring all done. What to do, what to do...lol Anyway thanks for all the help, I'll keep you posted.

well, last night I decided to stain some shingles for the roof. I was using the shingles that came with the adams. I don't like them, they are too thin. I kept breaking them when I was wiping off the stain, so my husband told me that we will go out to breakfast and run the dollhouse store that I mentioned in my last reply. So I'll check the store (Linda's World of Miniatures in Greenville NY) (yes shameless plug) and if she doesn't have what I need than I"ll try dejouxminiatures.

I never thought about staining the shingles after they are glued. I'll keep that in mind, but I was able to get to the store and buy larger eyelets for the lights and a bag of cedar shingles. No staining required.... but thanks for the tip anyway.

Most of the shingles that come with the kits I have are in flat sheets, and I can either brush on the stain, if I'm using a fluid version, or rubbed on gently with a rag (both gel stains and more liquid ones), and they only seem to break if I manhandle them a lot before the stain has dried. The only thing about staining them once they're glued on is that you need to be very careful of glue drips, since stain doesn't work through glue.

Eyelets, plugs and and plug receptacles come in two sizes - small and large. I prefer the small myself because if I use them to connect the tape wire and for the lights then I only have to buy one size but by the same token, if I use them for plugs, that means changing the plugs on the lamps and stuff because they only come with large size plugs on them. The only things I plug directly into the tape wire are wall sconces and ceiling lights.