Look around before you buy things

debra

I just thought I would post this, On a recent shopping trip to our local large hardware store, I was rummaging through a special bin, everything was $1, so of cousre This attracts me like flies to a hot cow patt, wellllll, what do I find, packs of 10 wheat globes, just the right size for a dollshouse, for $1 yep, 10 in a pack for $1, now the story goes I purchased some a few months ago form a specialty store, you know one of those (Name up in lights) of a person, the place you would go to to buy all your electronics etc, and they were 95c each there, yep 95c each for a tiny wheat globe, OK you do the math........................Ok if ya dont want to that is 10c a globe as opposed to 95c a globe, so me being a thrify shopper got 10 packs of globes costing me $10 for 100 globes, enough globes to light up a whole town of dollshouses. Now If I were to buy 100 globes in the (specialty store) yep it would have cost me $95. Saving me a cool $80....:)

So the moral of the story is always keep your eyes open no matter what shop you are in, you can find dollshouse items, or things that can be used for dollshouses and miniatures in just about any type of shop, no matter what they sell, so think outside the square, and jump out of the box and you will save yourself a fortune.,

Cheers Debra.

Congratulations Debra on such a find! Don't ya just love those unexpected finds that don't cost a fortune? I find tons on stuff in hardware stores around here that I can turn into mini's and it saves a bundle of $$ for me.

Have fun lighting up the "town" :)

Chris

It's pretty much the same with everything! If you keep your eyes open, and the "might find something mini" idea in the back of your head at all times, it tends to pan out! Congrats on the lights! I've found many accessories, wallpaper and even furniture, in the least likely places.

I find tons of stuff that I can use from other stores. Kinda have to since I don't have a local store. I found that at Lowes they have the sample cards of the different wide, wood blinds. These make good counters or table tops. Also some of the other shade samples work as shades in your house or as a door mat. The cards are 50 cents for 2 samples. :)

I love wandering around in hardware stores. The clerks trying to be helpful are taken aback when I tell them thanks, but I'm just looking for inspiration. :)

Yes Kathie, I would much rather go hunting in a hardware store than a dress shop lol, I can spend hours and lots of $$$$$ in that store lol, and newsagents is another of my favorite shops, ever since I was little, I would be facinated with all the range of paper (Drawing) that they had, and all the pretty colour papers etc, and the pens, pencils and painting supplies. We lived on a farm when I was little, so a trip to town was far and few between, and dad would give me a few shillings to spend on what ever I liked, I remember there was this particlar shop that used to have all their paper in the front window, I would look longingly at it wondering which one to buy on that day lol. As I knew it would be along time before I was back that way again, so I would have to buy wisely to have enough drawing paper to last me, oh the memories lol.

Cheers Debra.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the dollar stores up here, especially Dollar Tree. The gift wrap dept is a great place to look for tiny favors that you can use. I found a bag of tiny baby bottles, 2 plastic carriages that I painted and upholstered, mini champagne glasses with great bowls-you can cut the stem off, drill a hole in the center, and have a great ceiling light fixture. There are tiny picture frames, I found a magnet that is a great widescreen tv, magnets of tiny appliances, coke machines...I check the dollar stores out regularly!

Those plastic wide-mouthed "wine glasses" that fit the stems into the bowls can be painted & bashed to make mini charcoal BBQ grills. The copper pipe caps in hardware stores make wonderful pots & pans for mini kitchens, fit the smaller ones with handles & button lids for saucepans and the larger ones with jumprings for stockpots.