Wires too Short

janinelewis

I have increased the length of the wires on a number of lights. Buy some wire (HBS has it on a roll) online or at a dollhouse shop unless you have some on hand already. Remove the plug and attach the extra lenght to each of the wires by twisting the wires together tightly. Then wrap scotch or electrical tape over the join. Now attach the plug to the "new" end.

I hope this makes sense :p

:cucumber:

Electrical tape is a better insulator than transparent tape. You wouldn't want a mini electrical fire to happen!

You can also get shrink tubes at HBS & Cir-kit Concepts to use instead of tape. Slip one over one wire, twist the joined pieces, slide the tube over the bare wire, then shrink with a hair dryer.

You can also get wire at Radio Shack or similar shops. Take the light with you, so they'll know what wire you need.

I have had to lengthen or shorten lighting wire a number of times. I usually save the excess wiring left over, providing it is enough to save (lol) and use that for extending the needed wiring for a light.

I do not try to lenghten my wires. I use single receptacle extension cords, and just plug the lights in and have an extra 6 feet, to get the power where it's going. You can also buy triple extension if you have more than 1 light in a room that won't reach. I feel safer doing this.