Dollhouses With My Daughter

Minis On The Edge

Well, Rachel has been bitten big time by the Mini Bug in the past 2 months. Last week though, something really "clicked" and she is taking up my work area :) I have been working and she is watching me and then she'll say, "Ohhh I get it now" and it so cute!!

I am working on another Storybook. The stone is wallpaper:

2532368600037881673S425x425Q85.jpg

While she is working on finishing up her Madison. I started it and abandoned it and so she took over and is having a ball with it. That Madison is a really good sized kit!! I'll wait and let her post pictures of her own houses. Her name here is " Toy Chest " so if you see her, that's my baby :rofl::p

What are you working on?? Are any of you working on your houses with someone (family, friend...Pet)

:D

Hy husband works on the houses with me. He likes to build them, shingle and finish the edges. I also do some of the building.

The 2 projects that he hasn't had a hand in is my Spring Fling contest and My Adams contest house. Those are mine alone.

Occasionally DH will lend a hand, if I'm having troubles, or if he's convinced himself I'm doing it "wrong", he'll "show", me a better way. He is also very good at solving problems like warped sidding, or twisted logs... I love the attention so I let him. It's fun to have a mini buddy! Both my kids will help out too. They'll offer to hold something or grab the masking tape instinctively and start taping if they see me struggling with a peice. My 14 yrs old has 3 dolhouses in her room, one is for Barbie and 2 are 1:12. My son has a Teenage Mutant Ninga Turtle Lair, (not girlish, or a dollhouse...lol his words) and he has made accessories and furniture for it. He will also make clay foods for me, and he's pretty good at it. For the most part, my hobbie is a family affair, or at least it's been accepted as part of our lives! LOL

Alas theres just me :( but thats ok its 'me time'

but i do see 'the others' bum up peeking into my latest projects when i'm not looking :p....of course theyr 'not interested' :p

But my one mini friend is always here on MSN...Debra from this forum :)....we even scratch built a 1/24th mackinley type

house chatting on MSN over a weekend...it was great fun ....cut this piece this size...done it? ...ok now glue this piece..done

it? :rofl: we had a great time and laughed all weekend :D

I am sooooooooooo impressed with Rachel's primrose! I mean, I know she's got the world's best teacher, but the girl has serious talent and it shows!! Way to go Rachel!!

I occasionally have a short, furry helper. <note to self: If you're going to glue with the cat, use the whole cat>

Deb

Tracy, Rachel has done such a great job om her Primrose, way to go Rachel! I have been gawking over that Primrose!!! (and alsoo slightly kicking myself mentally for letting the opportunity of building it with my niece slip over to my parents...especially since it was my last Primrose...)

And that Storybook is just such a darling of a house and I love its name! I do hope to get that one one day soon :rofl: as when I hasve broken out the HH kit there are no more kits awaiting to be built around here :p Oh dear getting the shakes allready!!!!

As for buildign with someone, this weekend DH and I are co-operating in getting the lights properly installed in the Aster so that there will bel ight, I am also in between the soldering, swearing and measuring putting in stitches in the Christmas carpet, almost done, just a few border bits and pieces as well as fastening the threads here and there..

Then I have the Sugarplum over with my PILs and hopefully will be able to work al ittle on that over the upcoming holidays, will need to build the furniture I have in mind though as the vet clinique progresses into almost done. Will have to decide upon the roofing on that soon.

Hugs

I mainly work alone with observers...kids/dh/cat/dog. In the past one of my 11 year old primed and painted my trim for the DC Madison. It was summer break and the boys were home with free time.

I purchased the bus kit when it was 50% off. My daughter wanted that, so I am giving it to her for Christmas. She has been talking about it a lot lately also. She wanted to do it 'just like Ernie'. We looked online at RL busses that have been converted to homes, and found some great ideas. She is 6 and asked if she could do this on her own with me there to 'fix it' for her if it does not work right. This will be here first hands on project.

I'm so envious of all of you who work with others, I'm all alone.

Tracy, the Storybook is fabulous, great job. Now I just have to find Rachel's house.

Here's the link to Rachel's house:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...&album=2452

It is fun doing the houses while she is working on her own one. Now, Sarah is getting a little upset and wants to do a Primrose too :) Looks like I will need a bigger table :lol:

Tracy,

Rachel's house turned out great. How old is she?

I work with my 9-year-old (nearly 10 now); she's been doing projects with me since... well, let's see, I was still getting my Bachelor's of Fine Arts when she was born, does "in the womb" count? :)

Anyway, she has always had her little section of the table, she's always been doing a companion project next to me, since she could hold a crayon or a pair of scissors. That's how it was when my sister and I were, growing up, so I guess it seems like how it should be to me. Mom's making dinner, we make dessert, Mom's doing a quilt, we learn to sew a shirt, Mom's upholstering, we pull tacks for her...

My daughter's a painter, a scrapbooker, a fanatic Pokemon illustrator, and of course, she's mini-obsessed. We've been doing minis together since she was seven, and we consider the houses "hers," so she'll know that even if Mama has to do some of the harder stuff, she gets to make all the final decisions. She does wonderful work, and cares tremendously about the realism of every tiny bit.

She says she's going to be an architect one day to help me out in my daytime work. Minis probably provide her with the detail-orientation she'll need if she sticks with that plan.

I occasionally have a short, furry helper. <note to self: If you're going to glue with the cat, use the whole cat>

I work with my Construction Forecat. Sheba Ann, who tends to impede progress more than anything else these days. Thanks, Deb, for the helpful hint. :)

Rachel defintely has her mother's talent. She does wonderful work.

Tracy you should be very proud of your daughter.

I wish that I had someone here to work with but alas it is just me. I don't really mind because it allows me that truely me time that I need. I also have one to greatest resources when I am stuck or need some opinions- here! :)

As everyone has said - Rachel really does have a talent for this! Her Primrose is perfect. I had looked at it before, and didn't realize she was your daughter.... now it all makes sense! The attention to detail!

I mainly work alone. My 2 year old son will watch me paint and often grabs at the paint brushes himself - I've yet to let him loose on the dh though! Hubby likes to look at what I'm doing and offer suggestions. My McKinley is actually for my youngest, Annie (1 year old), so I always feel like she is working with me, because I'm constantly thinking what she will like when she is older.

But my main support is my mom. She's in England, so it's lots of emails and telephone calls, but she gives me countless ideas and support. She is a PERFECTIONIST though, so everything has to be just right for her! So that makes it hard to live up to her example.

My oldest daughter helped me wire my first house and it was nice to have her help. She occasionally wants to help and I show her what to do and then she says "aaahh I don't have the patience for this!". She is very creative and artistic but she would rather draw or paint. She is painting a little house I bought already built but her social life and other things get in the way. I hope that my younger daughter will want to do this with me as she gets older. I think it would be great. :)