Need to run ideas of you

Audra

I am just in the 'thinking' stages right now. I plan on getting the Sea Side Villa after Christmas. Once I have it, I would like to copy the floor to make another level, trace that onto the table I will build the house on; cut out that opening just a little smaller. Then I am thinking of having the walls come up out of the hole just like a real house has the foundation coming out. I also want to have basement windows in the 'foundation'. The windows I attached below (hoping they show up) are what I am thinking for my basement windows. The windows state they open outward, so I would put them in backwards, so they open inwards. Then I could have the house 'sit' on the foundation, cut a hole in the first floor for the basement stairs.

Am I missing something? Any advice??

5050W.jpg

Each window is pin-hinged to operate separately and opens outward.

3 7/8"W x 2 7/8"H

Sounds like you're on the right track.

I'd build my basement the same size as the house on a foundation board, but keep in mind, some houses have partial basements and crawl spaces under other parts of the house. I used to live in a house with a square floorplan, and an addition on one side. The addition had a crawl space. I'm just pointing this out in case you decide you feel that a basement under the whole thing might be a pain. This way, if anyone points out that you didn't make a complete basement, you can say "there's a crawlspace, chucklehead, jeez."

The windows should work fine, I used that same window in the bungalow. If you add beams in your basement, be sure you place it or them under the interior wall of the house above. It'll add a little realism.

I think I might build the house kit, then attach it to the basement level, or perhaps leave it as 2 seperate sections for easier transport.

Next you'd want to build up the terrain around the house to hide most of the basement floor. I promised someone I was going to do a landscape tutorial a long time ago, and I haven't forgotten, it's just that I keep getting caught up in other things. Maybe by the time you're ready to raise the ground level I'll have something ready online. BTW, when they build real houses with basements they often clear a large flat space, build the basement and house and then later fill in the land up to the required height. My front yard has 3 or more feet of sand under my grass.

I like the idea of the beams. I do plan on having the basement portion mailly underneath my table, so I shouldn't have too much land cover the walls. I will probably do a full basement, that way I can have another bathroom down there, older kids rooms, laundry room, etc...

I love the idea of building the basement under the table, is it going to be attached to both the table and the house? just curious, I have never seen that before and think it's a great idea.

I am thinking it will just be attached maybe with screws to both table and house. That way if I ever move it, and I am sure I will, I will be able to take it apart without incident.

I am just bummed I can't start it now. I was thinking that I would go ahead and do the basement, but I want it to be the same as the house - a full basement. I doubt the shop would let me buy just a floor piece!! Or would they?? What do you guys think??

I also have to figure out how to support the table with a hole cut into it. The table I picked up at a yard sale for $15 has a leaf in it. I will have to remove the track on the underside and that supports the leaf....I could probably get brackets or something. Time will tell. Now I am really getting anxious to start!! I am going to add a curved staircase to the first floor, and the stairs that came with the kit will go to the basement. Not certain yet where the basement opening will be

What house is this? Most places will cut your lumber for you, just squares and rectangles, but you can do the rest your self. If its a green leaf house ask them for another piece. :p

What house is this? Most places will cut your lumber for you, just squares and rectangles, but you can do the rest your self. If its a green leaf house ask them for another piece. :)

Here is the link to the site: http://www.normsdollhouse.com/norms_house_kits.htm It is the first house that pops up - Norms Sea Side Villa. The house measures 33x33, but it is not square. I want to do the same floor plan for downstairs (maybe excluding the porch, as most basements don't go under the porch) so the house can sit on the basement walls/foundation.

I saw a neat basement at a miniature show once. The main house was on a table just the width of the house and there was a shelf the width of the house and the height of the basement under the table top. A hole was cut for stairs up into the house. The table or stand would have to be custom made to fit the house and basement addition. I'd like to try it sometime.

A hole was cut for stairs up into the house. I'd like to try it sometime.

DUH!!! :) I don't have to cut a hole for anything but the stairs if I wanted too. Hmm, would have to think about that. I think basement windows would be pretty cool though...

I've seen houses built with those small windows right in the base of the house. Then you could attach the basement walls (or shelf, as Pat mentioned) to the underside of the table and just cut out for the stairs. Problem is, you wouldn't be able to see thru the windows from the outside into the basement. You could make them look dirty, maybe even cobwebby.

Just thinking out loud........

Here is the link to the site: http://www.normsdollhouse.com/norms_house_kits.htm It is the first house that pops up - Norms Sea Side Villa. The house measures 33x33, but it is not square. I want to do the same floor plan for downstairs (maybe excluding the porch, as most basements don't go under the porch) so the house can sit on the basement walls/foundation.

Some house have a cold cellar under the porch. :)