Build from Scratch?

Liggysasha

I'm sure you will get different ideas from people about what material they like to use. I have the best luck with 1/8" Luan plywood. Some people tell me that plywood warps in their area, but it has always worked for me. I can usually get a 4' x 8' sheet at Lowe's, etc. for about $10.

Steve in PA

Cool, Lowes is perfect! My hubby's best friend works there, so we get such on discount!!!!!

So we talked about it again last night. And I mentioned that I one day want to do a Western Saloon. Well hubby now wants to do that!!! He said the Key West house can wait, and a Western Saloon would be sooo cool!!! So not I have to watch more episode of 'Deadwood' to get ideas - I think we'll do Al's Saloon! But I think we'll try and find plans for it, not sure I'd know where to start with designing it.

(Best bit? NO SHINGLES!!!!!)

Debra, you should have a delete button alongside the quick reply button, etc, at the bottom of your post box. It may not show up, but slowly move your cursor to the left and as it turns from an arrow to a hand a little box should pop up telling you which button you're on, including the "delete" one.

I have many plans for scratch-building, but have not attempted anything more than my castle to date. One of the houses is a huge old style home with 13 or 14 rooms to it, and a full wrap-around porch. Scares me, so I just put those plans away! LOL

Depending on how good you are with three dimensional visualizing, you might be able to draw your own plans. I usually draw a flat, house plan style drawing first and then I draw it two dimensionally and get measurements from that. Then, because I can't saw a straight line if I tried, I have a drawing of each piece of wood I want and the dimensions and just bring that in to my local lumber shop. The last time they did it for me for $1 a cut and I think my house came out to about $40. I do my own doors and windows though, because I can cover the crooked edges with trim! :D

• 3 weeks later...
I've been trying to use a house design program, but its too restrictive (cookie cutter sums it up) so I'm going to install autocad. The only problem is I'm only familiar with old-fashioned drafting.

Regarding tools, the only power tool that I used on the MacKenzie was a soldering iron for the electrical. Everything else was hand cut and trimed using a modeler's hand saw and an exacto knife.

You will love the autocad. My youngest son has a major in landscape architecture and uses this for all his designs..but it's a very expensive piece of software and takes up a lot of space. It also takes a lot of time to learn well. But the things you can do with it are amazing! You will have every measurement you need for building.

Sasha....I did an old time saloon a few years ago & was one of the few pieces I sold. The man drove 150 miles to pick it up for his wife. I use the Luan plywood for the building & I usually keep a sheet of 1/2" plywood to make the things like the bar, back bar, stairs, etc. I also use it for the base of the project. I have used CAD & other design programs, but find that I spend more time drawing than building. I like to get my tablet, with the little squares on it, pencil & rulers & draw a rough drawing of what I have in mind. Then I figure out the size of each piece & start cutting. I also make a list of things I want to do with the building so I don't forget ! Like wallpaper this room & paint the other room....this furniture for here & here, etc. I hate when I get to a point in the construction & then remember something I wanted to do before I got to that point.

If you hate shingles for the roof, Lowe's also have some cool shelf liners that are metallic & look like copper, tin, & other materials. I have used these on several of my projects.

Keep us updated on your progress & have fun.

Steve in PA

Well, I'm not following my own advice. I had a rough plan thought out, but decided to just go ahead and build. It's been very interesting - there are some pieces I have to think ahead on, but most of the time I'm improvising as I go. There have been a few mistakes, especially where it concerns the front porch, but I'm ready to put the second story floor on (if it ever clears up here so I can go outside and saw). Of course, the other day I almost got on here and started a thread about how I never wanted to see another dollhouse! ;)

Thanks Steve for the advice. I might have to pick your brains a bit more when we get round to building it. Don't suppose you've got an photos?

We haven't started planning it yet. With Christmas etc. it's too busy (also hubby is doing work on our RL house). I've got lots of ideas and know how I want it to look.

We think we will do the No: 10 Saloon from Deadwood - the one where Wild Bill Hickok was shot. Thought it would be a bit fun to have him at the table with his 'Deadmans' hand of playing cards.