Wallpaper for Dollhouse

pumkinpie

Hello Everyone,

What kind of wallpaper does everyone use? Has anyone used prepasted wallpaper? Do you use the same wallpaper mucillage that you use for unpasted wallpaper for the prepasted wallpaper? Do you know any good sources for wallpaper?

I use free 'printies' from the internet! I buy thick-ish paper/card from Staples/OfficeMax and then print on the highest quality setting my printer will do. So far I've been really pleased with the results. I know the dollhouse wallpaper is much better quality and probably easier to work with... but I'm cheap!!! ;)

These are the websites I like (but there are hundreds more!):

www.jennifersprintables.com

www.printmini.com

And there are a lot of wallpapers in the gallery on this forum as well, thanks to Debra:

Greenleaf Forum - Wallpaper

The only time I tried actual dollhouse wallpaper I hated it! It was so thin that it wrinkled and tore and I just almost threw it in the trash. I managed to get it worked out and it looked fine when I finished but I had a heck of a time. I prefer to use scrapbooking paper or real wallpaper. That being said I am choosy about those because if it's to thin then its the same problem as before, If the paper is too thick or stiff then that can be a pain as well. I spend a lot of time picking out paper making sure it is not too large of scale so that it looks weird and then feeling it. The people at the store probably think I'm a weirdo.

I have used the miniature wallpaper mucilage that I bought when a store was closing but it's almost out now so I bought some "yes" glue. I have not used it yet but I heard about on here.

I have never printed off my own wallpaper but I print off rugs on fuzzy paper. I heard somewhere that depending on the ink you use your wallpaper could bleed I don't know if anyone has had this problem in here. I would think maybe spraying it with a clear sealer could help, not sure. ;)

I haven't used printies or fabric (yet) for wallpaper; but I've used regular dh wallpaper, including that from Dover Publications, I've used RL wallpaper in small designs, I've used giftwrap, I've used prepasted border wallpaper and I've used vinyl Contac. I bought a bucket of premixed RL wallpaper paste from the hardware store mini, mini years ago and still using out of it, I apply it with a 1" paintbrush and I have a small wooden brayer for the wallpaper borders that is perfect for smoothing wallpaper onto dh walls.

I usually buy prepasted wallpaper because I like the quality better.

I've bought paper from the following places:

Greengables Dollhouse - New Creations is a very good paper brand, and I think they only make the heavier, prepasted papers.

Les Chinoiseries - Very unique designs and excellent paper quallity. It's not prepasted, but it's a thicker, nicer quality of paper IMO. They're sort of pricey, but worth it to have unique prints.

Greengables also sells Karen's Wallpaper Decor packs, which are awesome as well. Again, more on the pricey side, but you can really tell the difference in the quality and the richness of the paper/colors.

Kitten,

How do you apply prepasted wallpaper? Do you just stick it on the wall as is, or do u have to add additional wallpaper paste?

Sorry that I didn't answer that part...

I still put wallpaper paste on my prepasted paper. I use New Creations wallpaper gel to apply it, and it activiates the paste on the paper.

I used dollhouse wallpaper in my McKinley and it went on nicely. It was not prepasted. I used modge podge to adhere it. I have used scrapbooking paper and paper I printed myself. Lately I have been using more paint and spackle than anything else to do walls.

I have used fabric and scrapbook paper. I don't have anyplace close that I can buy dh wallpaper and I have to see it in person to know it will be right for the house.

I think on my next house I will be painting walls as well as papering. That is what the house is mentioning at this point, of course that is subject ot change.

I've mainly used scrapbooking paper -- you do need to pay attention to scale, and look for the smallest patterns, if your buying the patterned paper...

Or Mini-Graphics paper, which is "dollhouse wallpaper" is really nice. There are often specials on dollhouse paper at Hobby Builders Supply (on line and in their catalog).

I generally just use Aleen's white glue, thinned a bit with water, applied to the wall and to the back of the paper, then smoothed out with an old credit card.

I've used "real" dh wallpaper, e.g. Brodnax, just because I am obsessed with the patterns. I used YES adhesive, mixed pretty watery, but I paste the wall first instead of the paper. I like YES because you can just keep reconstituting your leftovers with water.

The paper I like best is miniature print real size wallpaper. The only problem is you get enough in a roll to do 100 houses, which is why a lot of my houses start to look just like the others. I've given a lot away and still have lots left. My favorites are stripes, small checks and tiny flowers. I've used a lot of scrap book paper also, especially the black and white check for kitchen and bathroom floors. The only problem I found with the scrap book paper is matching the pattern if it doesn't reach the whole length of the wall. HBS has a pretty good selection of patterns and I've used about all of them. I have the Handley House catalog and they have the most selections I've found so far. I just use regular wallpaper paste and haven't had any problems with it. I don't usually use it on the prepasted.

I like scrapbook paper myself. There are so many tiny prints and the paper behaves beautifully. The big craft stores put it on half off sales and better very frequently, so I wait until sale week and scurry over. (The sales also soothe my scrapbooking addiction!)

post-3547-1226608143_thumb.jpg

My daughter's hatshop uses two coordinating scrapbook papers, above and below the (not-yet-installed) chair rail.

I used the really big sheets of English wallpaper not long ago - you can get them at HBS.

I used mod podge to put it on the wall, and at first there were some bubbles that I fretted over, but when the paper dried, it all tightened up like a drum. I LOVE mod podge.

I find wallpapering very easy as l have plenty of paper (I always buy 4 sheets - 1 for each wall and one the screw up with).

I would love to try bookbinding/liner paper. Some of it is so beautiful. The sheets are huge and sell for about $3 per sheet.

I have had some really good results printing my wallpapers onto real life wallpaper, I use one that is a very light colour and with no obvious pattern on it. You have to cut it to A4 size to feed into your printer first. Also some have great textures too, be sure to use a high print setting, so you get a good quality print out. Then you can use wallpaper glue or normal glue as the paper you are using is meant to be glued as it is real wallpaper, so its all win win. The room box in my gallery was printed out onto real wallpaper, it also has a texture on it, I am not sure if you can see it though. If you try it let me know how you go. Another thing if this works for you, you can pick up a suitable roll of really cheap wallpaper from the end of rolls bin, and you will have lots of paper to use.

Cheers Debra.

That is a cool idea. I'll be trying that too.

I've used textured card to print wood planks on, so they have a textured appearance. I really liked the affect, but I hadn't thought to do it for wallpaper.