Bread machines

KathieB

I forgot to add ... I've been eyeing various plastic packaging materials for one that approximates the shape of the bread machine. I want one in one of my modern mini houses!

Mother Earth magazine had a great article about bread making, machines, and also about the flour you use. It might be worth it to go to their website and see if you can dig some of those articles up. For some reason Red Mill or Red something flour sticks in my mind as being the best to use. I don't have a bread machine of my own - too expensive - so I didn't give it as much attention as I should have.

Thanks, Kelly, I'll look it up.

Meanwhile, the inaugural loaf of basic white bread turned out perfectly. The first slice, smeared with honeybutter, tasted like a little piece of heaven. Today I'll try the whole wheat recipe. Life is good, especially in the kitchen. :)

Well our new machine arrived on Wednesday, and I've been using it every day. It's fabulous! Made Banana Nut bread, rustic artisan baugettes, french bread, basic white, rosemary olive and plain baguettes. All have come out just as good as the Zoe. The only different I note from my old Zoe is that it's a bit more noisy in the kneading cycle is all. I've made 1, 1 1/2 and 2 pound loaves on it, and all have been very wonderful and tasty.

The flour I use is truly made in Montana. The wheat is grown here, milled. Montana Wheat is the name of the flour and I love it. I now have 70 pounds of white flour in storage and three bags of Prairie Gold - the whole wheat flour. Plus Rye flour. I want to get Semolina flour next, if I can find it, as it makes a tasty bread as well. Vital Gluten I have also purchased and that just makes it rise higher and produces a very nice texture. Wow, I'm in love with the Cusinart already. And Doug has fixed the Zoe so now I have two bread machiens.

Our Zoe is quite different from the newer Zoe. It is about 17 years old now......and it's a tall bread pan with one paddle and a beating rod inside, rather than the newer two-paddle variety with the more traditional loaf shape. Anyway Doug did a magnificant job on fixing the old Zoe, so now I can make more bread than ever! We go through about a loaf and a half a day.

I have a Low-Carb Buttemilk Bread

My new machine has a Low-Carb Cycle - This is for the Cuisinart machine.....check and see if you can make this.....

Low-Carb Cycle

Do not use the Delay Start Timer.......

Ingredients Large - 2 pound loaf Medium - 1 1/2 pound loaf

Buttermilk - room temperature 1 1/2 Cups 1 1/4 cup

Honey 1 1/4 Tablespoons 1 Tablespoon

Salt 3/4 Teaspoon 1/2 Teaspoon

Whole Wheat Flour 1 1/4 Cups 1 Cup

Vital Wheat Gluten 2/3 Cup 1/2 Cup

Barley Flour 2/3 Cup 1/2 Cup

Almond Flour 2/3 Cup 1/2 Cup

Soy protein 2 1/2 Tablespoons 2 Tablespoons

Flax Seed 2 1/2 Tablespoons 2 Tablespoons

Yeast, Active Dry, Instant or Bread machine 2 1/4 teaspoons 2 1/4 teaspoons

Place ingredients in the order listed in the bread pan fitted with the kneading paddle. Place the bread pan in the Suisinart Convection Bread Maker. Press menu and select low carb. Press crust and select medium (or to taste). Press loaf and select dough size. Press start to mix, knead, rise and bake. When cycle is completed, remove bread from machine and transfer to wire rack to cool.

Nutritional information per serving (1 ounce).

Calories 55 (22% from fat) 0 Carb. 7g Protein. 4 g fat. 1 gram sat. fat. 0g chol. 1 mg sod. 12mg calc. 27 mg, fiber 1 g.

Hope you can use this receipe.

I have some other low-carb bread receipes and Glutin Free receipes as well. Anyone want any of these?

Nutty Low-Carb Bread

Low0Carb Cinnamon Bread

Low-Carb Molasses Bread

Low-Carb Bacon and Cheese Bread

Low-Card Seed Bread

Cheesy Gluten-Free Bread

Gluten-Free Apple, Cheddar, Walnut Bread

Gluten-Free Hazelnut Bread

Gluten-Free Molasses Walnut Bread

Gluten-Free Nut and Seed Bread

Gluten-Free Rye Bread

If you want any of these let me know and I'll type them out here for you.......

Yesterday I made a yummy loaf of Lemon Poppy Seed Bread! Wow, was it good. I used fresh lemon, grated it for the zest, then squeezed it for the juice...... We're in love. And we intend to bake more of this particular bread. More cake like and moist than actual bread, it makes a small loaf which when sliced thin and spread with butter or whatever, is more a dessert than a bread.

I had a bread machine once I won at a hospital Christmas party. It was great but for one person it made too much bread and it didn't taste the same after a day or two. How do you keep the left over bread fresh? Store bread has preservatives in it so it tastes the same day to day. Bread machine bread tastes much better.

We don't have any leftovers. When Bill our Game Warden knows I'm baking, he's first in the house. He had a huge appetite for breads and pies and cakes and actually anything eatable, washed down with gallons of coffee. We have had no leftovers....but usually if there are I put them in a zip lock bag squeezing all of the air out of it. I also use the leftover bread to make french toast .................... And in a pinch I cut them into small squares and make coutons out of them. I have a book that has a section on using the left over bread. Like bread pudding? It's yummy made with homemade cinnamon bread! Sandwiches taste great with the buttermilk breads. Dry it in the oven after shredding it for bread crumbs to top casseroles.

• 2 months later...

I have been looking for the Zojirushi Bread Machine to purchase. I wanted to get one for Christmas and could not find a local store that sells it. I always loved fresh baked bread as a child. My grandmother only made home made bread. I just ordered the Zojirushi machine from Newegg.com. My son usually orders computer parts from this company and was not aware they sold kitchen electrics. I am so looking forward to getting it to try it out. Wolfie and Kathie, I will have to let you know how it works out. I have already been looking at the recipe books from Amazon and I don't even have it yet. :yes:

I love to bake bread. I have made many many loaves over the years, first from "scratch" and then with a couple of different bread machines....but now we rarely eat very much. I go through all the work to make the bread...and after the first slice or two, it molds and becomes birdfood. So the bread machine is pushed into the corner of my kitchen, unused, and unless I'm having company -- very rare these days -- I don't bother. But there's nothing like the smell of fresh bread -- whatever the "flavor", baking in the oven!! Yummmmmm .....

Wolfie, would love to get the recipe for low-carb cinnamon bread, and the lemon poppy seed loaf.

I have a bread machine but don't seem to use it very often for some reason. DH and the kids just love it when they wake up to the smell of fresh baked bread in the machine, as the smell fills the entire house.

Had a bit of problems with the last two loaves not rising enough, but I think that was a problem with the yeast. Guess I should make bread more often (and try whole wheat).

Our bread machine turned out a loaf of whole wheat bread flavored with basil this morning and is now filling the house with the wonderful aroma of plain old white bread.

I have a couple of bread machine books suggested by Wolfie, but to tell the truth, I keep going back to the little booklet that came with the machine.

One day soon I need to try the dough cycle ... it's time for King Cake!