Canned lights in ceiling beam

BrookwoodWorker

I just installed the can lights in the ceiling beam and am thrilled with the way they turned out! I made a couple of them for under the staircase (pics included in the gallery), but then bought two of them for the beam installation. I wanted the heavier casing that the store lights had. On my homemade can lights I used the disposable metal pan that a take-out order for Boston Market came in and it worked fine, but wasn't quite heavy enough. I'll have to experiment and see what I can come up with because I really like the lighting effect. I also installed a directional light above the spiral staircase for accent and a fan with a light kit in the living room. Whew, it was a lot of work, but I'm pleased with the results. Currently I am working on a set of sliding glass doors to go between the game room (the room with the copper ceiling) and the living room. I think it's working out nicely. I'll keep those interested updated and hope not to just bore the others that aren't so interested.... :) BTW...my avatar is my dog Tink, not Tinker Bell, just Tink. Every time she walks under my coffee table she bumps her head and that is the sound it makes....I hope that's not as unfeeling as it sounds......it's actually kind of cute.

I'm very interested in how you did your lighting - I wasn't going to put electric in my Brookwood because I couldn't find any affordable "contemporary" light fixtures. Can you take a picture of your lights and add it to your gallery?

By the way I have been following your progress and I love your Brookwood! You are inspiring me to keep going with mine!

I did my lighting using the tape as opposed to the actual wire system that you have to groove out a path for the wires on your walls. I'm going to try using Shrinky-Dinks to design my light fixtures. I haven't had a chance to prototype anything yet, but it might work, maybe...if I try real hard and repeatedly. Some of my ideas work very well, and some of them, well, I have a rejects stash that I pull things from every so often and use pieces of on something else. But there's only one way to see if something will work and that is to try it. I did some lamps using beads and covered lampshades. They came out so-so. Nothing special, so I am still working out other ideas. I did successfully make a couple of very cool can lights that are recessed underneath the staircase. I also bought two can lights just to see what they were made of and how they were built. I tend to find something, buy it and dismantle it to figure it out. Right now I'm working on sliding doors to go between the living room and the game room. I think it's coming out pretty darn okay....LOL, we'll see. I'll post pics as soon as I can assemble it and shoot some. They're drying right now with varathane on them.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Linda.

Firstly I adore your Brookwood, you are doing a marvelous job with it. And the lights the flooring everything looks super. Secondly, I would dearly love to get a Brookwood kit, but I am afraid postage to us in the land down under is just too expensive, I was wondering if you could be so kind as to give me some of the measurements, I am going to try and scratch build one, lol. I can do this jsut by looking at the pictures of the house, but a few dimensions wouldnt go astray,. I can email you my email address if that is of any help.

Cheers Debra.