Where and how do you do your best work?

butlerestates

I was thinking of this as I was wall papering my little kitchen this afternoon and I started wondering about everyone else. So here's what I prefer.

I work the best at night and with music on. Preferably 80's music that I can sing along to. The later I work the crazier my music gets and I usually am dancing as I do stuff. I have noticed that if you have your head inside your house it has really good acoustics and I sound much better (in my little world) than normal :blink: So how about you ??

I have a workroom......It is full to overflowing. I work on the table in the family room,TV going for noise. That's for buildings. For smaller stuff I am likely to be found working on the bed with my feet up with a lap desk. Also with the TV going full blast. Someday the workroom will be in working shape again. Not today tho. :blink:

I have noticed that if you have your head inside your house it has really good acoustics and I sound much better (in my little world) than normal :lol:

:(:blink: what a visual :lol: :(

I like to work at night, everyone in bed, no tv, no music, just me and Sophie furbaby purrrrrrring in the craft room...love it!!!! geeze 2am comes around to fast :(

P.S.....i dont purrrrrrrrrrrr :lol:

NICE room!! I have the corner of the gameroom at the moment but when we get our new "real" house I have a work room just for me and shelves to hold all my built stuff! I cant wait! I am excited about my new table though. I got the fabric cutting table from wal-mart for $50 because they are closing the fabric dept. It's 5' x 6' and has the yard sticks built in. So now I can have room to use the turntable and wont have to give myself a hernia trying to move my house around :blink:

I hide in the bathroom. Sometimes I have my ipod and just camp out up there and paint minis (you do not have to be performing actual 'bathroom activities' to just sit and paint!)

Seriously

I don't have a real workspace other than a corner in our bedroom.

Tonight I got an order of art materials from d*** Blick. I took them up to our bathroom and sat listening to the howling Zero cat trying to get in to my space (I hardened my heart) and unpacked them. Real Rembrandt pastel sticks and a sanded paper. YEEHAAWW. A wonderful art catalogue! Sadly, the phone started ringing downstairs and Jim figured out where I was....

oh dear,ya'll...

the art company name must sound offensive, but that really IS the name and isn't intended as a four letter foul-mouth...

please pardon, but understand.

Yep That's the real name I can't believe it was bleeped. I buy most of my art supplies there.

I work in my den, which is small, and it is reallly crowded. I cleaned the garage last week end with my grand daughter and plan to work out there this winter.

Margaret, that is too funny! :(

I like to work with a DVD on; one that is more of a story and not too intense. It blocks out background noise but keeps me company. I find that I work best in bursts! I need to really sit down and have a solid block of time... I start on one thing and then get rolling and next thing you know, I've done 4 projects!

I wish I could be one of those people who could fit in a few minutes here or there, but it just doesn't happen unless Ive got some real time and no deadlines hanging over my head. Maybe that's why I spend more time thinking about minis than actually getting to do them! :blink:

I work exclusively in my studio but I still prefer to be alone in the house when I do. The reason for that is that I get into "The Zone" when I'm working and the rest of the world ceases to exist. The stereo in the studio is always set to the old standards station and I'm off in my own little world, happily creating while I listen to Dean Martin, Dinah Washington, the Andrews Sisters, etc. I find that somewhat odd since I listen to classic rock or country when I'm doing anything else. I guess the old standards help me channel my muse.

Deb

Doug says our house is all taken over by minis and he is not a mini person at all....poor guy. Anyway I too do my best work in the bathroom. It is where I paint, stain, varnish, stucco, etc., etc., drill. Everything else is done everywhere else! LOL

I am cluttered and disorganized, but I know where everything is on my worktable....well, almost.....

I like to knit during the Steeler game. I'm afraid I can't have knifes or saws in my hand while the game is on.

I work usually in the living room on a folding table or the kitchen table. I'm converting a closet in my bedroom to a craft closet but until then everything is scattered. I still have to make a trek to Lowes to get my pegboard and hardware to finish the closet.

I have a second bedroom that I'm slowly converting into a mini/craft room. It's workable but not very organized right now and it is very hard for me to work in clutter/disorganization. Guess I get enough of that at work :)

I REALLY like the fact that I can close the room and not have to worry that one of my dogs will find a treasure they think they can't live without. Although I must say they are pretty good about NOT chewing on things...just long enough for me to leave my guard down and there go a pair of shoes or something.

I work best at night. I'm up and down all night and can go and work a half hour or a couple hours depending on what I get started on and if I have to work the next day. The room is next to the bathroom so I have access to water for cleanup. I have a dog grooming table that I have covered with cardboard and that's where I do my painting. Just bought a 4'x2' sturdy table from Lowes for construction and have a 4'x2' folding table that holds...well it holds whatever I can fit on it :lol: I finally got to the point where I can turn on the heat in there so I'll be comfortable this winter.

I can, and do, work anywhere and everywhere on my minis. I generally have something going, so wherever, whenever works for me! I've even been known to carry little things in my purse to do during my break at work. Once it was a porcelain baby that needed diapering, another time a bunch of boxes that needed assembled... My friends say I'm hardcore dollhouse!

My basement family room for the time being is my "workshop". We tore out the carpet not too long ago with intentions on replacing it and making a den out of that room for my hubby, but the carpet got put on the back burner due to my husband having emergency surgery. So, when I got into mini's the basement became the ideal place to work on them. Not to mention that there is a 250 gallon aquarium in the wall in the basement, which I love! Very relaxing to sit down there, work on my house, watch the fish and listen to books on tape. It's my little eutopia!

Originally, the only place I had to work was the end of the counter in my kitchen with a rectangle folding table behind me for holding supplies and any small building that needed to be done. Then when DS moved out, I took over his room. Eventually, DD came to visit so I lost the room and went back to the counter in the kitchen. When she went back to Michigan, DH and I took down the wall dividing the small bedroom with the livingroom. Now, I have my own little room, but it is open to the livingroom so DH doesn't get lonely. :lol: The furbabys really love the table in there that sits in front of the window. They are constantly lounging on it. I have to move them and fight them for the space when I want to work. As for what I listen to? Well, usually it is DH chattering the night away with some background noise from whatever game he is playing. Most recently however, I have had the TV on because from 5pm to 8pm NCIS is on. I also have a large square table in my livingroom that is currently holding the Glencroft. Oh I almost forgot. There is also a shelf in my bedroom that has supplies on it. The things in there are not used often so they haven't made the journey from one end of the house to the other. Someday.... :)