making new stuff look old without making it permanent

Rhonda

I have a set of spatterware dishes that I need to make look old, if possible I would like to use something that I can later remove. I am on a limited budget so any way that I can reuse things at a later date is a double bonus for me.

I picked up a 4 ounce bottle of Aleene's clear gel tacky glue has anyone tried this when making pots of fino food for the liquid? do you think if I added a tiny drop of food coloring it would still set up?

Air dry crayola clay, has anyone tried this for landscaping or anything else? I didnt buy any but saw it for 4.00 at walmart for a good sized tub.

is it Dec 15th yet? ~grin~ I am really excited about my contest house and cannot wait to unveil it for all of you!

Rhonda, to age the spatterware, try putting little bits of black paint at the edges, as if the enamel has chipped. If you use a tempera paint, you can wash it off later. I wouldn't use acrylics, might be hard to remove. You could try it on one piece and see if it can be scraped off with a piece of wood or a fingernail when it dries.

I tried using Aileen's clear glue for birdbath water. It dries to a skin, doesn't keep its bulk. I've put about 6 layers, hoping to build it up, but no good. It just looks wet. The regular Aileen's might work, though. It dries nearly clear and keeps most of its bulk. It may have a bit of a cloudy appearance, but not much ... and water that something has been cooking in is usually not crystal clear, anyway. And I don't know why you couldn't add some coloring ... maybe a touch of acrylic paint? Try it and let us know how it works!

I was going to suggest the black paint too.

As far as the glue goes - personally, I would use a resin, or epoxy rather than glue. (Mainly because glue can become sticky again if you wet it.)

Several years ago my kids had some of the air-dry Crayola clay - for making masks. It dries well, it's very lightweight, but not very durable.

I was going to suggest the black paint too.

As far as the glue goes - personally, I would use a resin, or epoxy rather than glue. (Mainly because glue can become sticky again if you wet it.)

Several years ago my kids had some of the air-dry Crayola clay - for making masks. It dries well, it's very lightweight, but not very durable.

it depends on what you use it for, I use it for rocks and as far as i know they are fine :)

I found the air dry crayola always felt spongy to the touch, even months later, but it worked fine. I bought it in white. To make water I used plain old white school glue, it dries clear in a couple of days. I used it to fill cat and dog bowls. The same cheapo glue makes good plates and pots when left to dry in a mold, and removed when 3/4 dry. Use mactac or masking tape on the spatterware, paint the design on, or use a marker, and just peel it off later, no mess, no fuss! Have fun!

You can remove acrylic paint with acetone-based nail polish remover. I have aged spatterware, first painting the "chipped" area with raw sienna to simulate rust and then black, and rub just the least bit into the sienna to blend.