Paper clay ?

kellee

After reading this, I went into my studio and looked at the packages I just bought (Creative Paperclay) and my package says you just create what you want and let it air dry. It says then you can paint it, and you can varnish it for the finish you want. I am wondering if different brands have different curing methods required???

Here's another bit of info: I am a HUGE fan of the amazing Rik Pierce http://www.frogmorton.com/ and it mentions on his website that he uses the very brand I mentioned previously. They have a website that gives helpful tips for working with it: http://www.creativepaperclay.com/

I hope that these links will help you out!

There are two different kinds of paper clay. The one that you want is the "Creative Paper Clay". It is an air drying clay. The other one is for making designs in a regular kiln and is used in conjunction with ceramic clays.

I use DAS that used to be a German clay and is now put out by Prang. It is pretty much the same as the Creative paper clay and is a lot more inexpensive. They sell it at Michaels and if you have a 40% coupon you can get it for about 4.oo for 2.2 pounds. If you want to see some of it in action, I have a couple of buildings on my blog. The Buttercup bookshop has rocks made of it and the basket(accessories) shop that I am working on now is completely covered in it. I hope that this helps.

I prefer DAS clay, too. Not only the price but I just like the product better. I used it to brick my Dura-craft Newport Cape and ran my DAS through my pasta machine to get a standard thickness. I know a lot of people prefer Creative Paperclay but I prefer the DAS clay.

I have never heard of baking it either. I can't really say that I mind the smell. It is the same smell as if you were using paper mache. It seems to dry to about the same texture as creative paper clay. I have been using it for many years and it seems to hold up well and is definitely more economical. :)

I LOVE Paperclay - I can't stand the smell of DAS. It's obviously an individual thing - but they both air-dry as far as I know. :)

Paperclay is like papier mache - but it's much finer, smoother. It's made with volcanic ash.

I don't know what DAS is made from - but I think it's a thicker consistency. I only bought it once - opened the pack, smelt it, and gave it away!

I use the kind put out crayola it looks good, if i can just let the colors right, I bought a bunch when i worked at a movie theater, and they gave me gift cards to wallys, so it was technically free, or seven dollars depending on the veiw.

I don't know about how other people use it, but I use the DAS like piecrust. I roll it out to about 1/8 to 1/16" thick and just put it on the side of the building with white glue for plaster finish. I purposly end one piece and start another at the same place to form the cracks. If I didn't want the cracks, I would cut it off in a straight line and blend or use a larger piece. For the rocks, I just flatten it out with my fingers so that they won't all be the same thickness. Again, I glue it to the building with white glue and then form the rocks right on the building. You can make bricks this way too. I use pieces of an old credit card cut in 1/4" and 3/4" strips to make bricks. Works like a charm.

As for the smell, I hardly notice it at all when I first open the package and after a little while it disappears altogether. I think that we all have particular smells that we like and dislike. This is one that I kind of like. :) It reminds me of grade school when we did paper mache.