Two New Dollhouse Museums in Kentucky

jeninky

Jen, I'm green with envy that you've seen The Dollhouse Museum in all its glory. I stopped by there in Danville last summer, before it was open to the public, and was graciously welcomed by its owner and chief collector, Lori Kagan-Moore. Her interest in miniatures stems from her grandparents, who were antique dealers. She has amassed hundreds of houses. I counted only three kit houses in the entire musuem. Most are one-of-a kind, in all shapes and sizes. This museum really is not to be missed. Here's a link to a news story about the museum.

Something that will interest the collectors among us is the fact that she features collectibles extensively, such as Strombecker, Schoenhut, Schneegas, Biedermeier, Spielwaren, Gottschalk, Arcade, Shackman, Grand Rapids, Petite Princess, Reevesline, Lawbre, as well as a great number of antique and artisan items too numerous to mention. It's always a treat to see one or two of these pieces. Can you imagine seeing an entire house furnished in one of these lines? Be still, my heart!

The museum includes a meeting room and a lovely park area and deck for picnics. I really think we ought to organize a weekend in Danville for Greenleaf Forum members. The town itself is a little jewel. It was missed in the Civil War, so has some remarkably beautiful little 19th century and earlier cottages. Anyone game?

It's all inside. They bought a building that was used as a WPA warehouse years ago. It's as big an an airplane hangar! Her husband teaches at Central KY State U and is active in the little theater. Some of his friends painted the floors to make it look as if you're following roadways between the "villages" ... and you have to cross painted railroad tracks to get the the "other side of the tracks" village. Talk about realism ... those buildings look just like the ones that you see disintegrating in old railroad towns in the midwest.

This is wonderful.!!! I loved the dollhousemuseum website.. I would love to visit sometime.!!

in the dollhouse museum website there is a map of the village.... That would be a perfect way to make a map of our Greenleaf town... Does anyone remember when we were talking about that.... I am gonna have to get busy with that.!!

Kellee