debbie from ny

hi all, i am so in love with dollhouses! i get them at garage sales, ebay, craigslist. i am not interested in building them but rather making things for them and refurbishing. right now, i am trying to figure out how to get the gummy waxy stuff used to stick things on the walls.... off. i want to repaint the interior of one of the dollhouses and don't know what to use to clean up the walls before i paint or paper. any ideas will be appreciated. thanks,debbie

Hi Debbie! :)

Welcome to the neighborhood!

We love people who give TLC to already built homes! I'm rehabbing a Pierce, so I know how your heart goes out to these forlorn houses.

After 5 posts you can open a gallery and show us some of your collection!

Hi and welcome, Debbie!

I would try Goof-Off. It's a spray, you get it at the hardware store. Actually, I think you can get it as a liquid, too. It's my go-to solution for getting anything off anything, not just in minis.

Though since it's wax we're talking about, what about heat? Like, the kind of heat gun you use to melt embossing powder in scarpbooking? Used with caution of course, since there's wood involved... :)

I love rehabs, too. Good luck!

Welcome to the forum family, Debbie. Goo Gone might also work on the wax, and then wash it off with soap & water & let it dry thoroughly before priming/ painting, etc. I prefer building to rehabbing, but when I rehab I disassemble and rebuild as much as possible.

Hi and welcome, try using a metal scraper that might help. :)

Hello and Welcome! It is so nice to have you join us!!! I love hearing that you also love scouring all the places you can think of for dollhouses. I love doing that too! How many do you have??? Also, as you can see from the quote I refer to above, I was going to suggest basically the same thing . . . except . . . I would (carefully) try using a razor blade. I often use them to expedite removal of stuff - just don't go too deep! I look forward to seeing your pictures later on . . . be sure to share!!! Have a super day!

thanks for the nice welcome. i live in endicott ny...about 3 1/2 hours east of manhattan or 1 hour south of syracuse. i need to post a couple more times so i can show you my newest find...a tea shop i purchased on ebay! debbie

Welcome Debbie! I'm from Vestal, now transplanted in Hornell. You may already know about it, but there's a little shop on the parkway that sells dollhouses & minis, right across from the library. Not a large selection, but the owners are very friendly and knowledgable. ;)

• 2 weeks later...