Need Help With Siding On A House

angliris

I want to put siding on my dollhouse. I have a bag of siding that I got at a craft store but it has no instructions.

How do I layer the siding so that it overlaps and isn't flat?

Would I do it sort of like you do with a roof and shingles where you put one row in at a time and then overlap the next row?

Should I paint them before or after I put them on?

Do I need to do anything special to the regular wood walls before I add the siding?

Do you put the siding all the way up to a windows edge and them put the outside window frame on top?

Would it look more realistic if I put the outside window frames on first and the add the siding around that?

Will I need to put the siding on before or after I put the outside walls of the dollhouse back together?

Should I even try putting on siding since this is my first time working on a dollhouse?

I would be so grateful for anyones help. :lol:

Are you talking about the green leaf siding? If so,

How do I layer the siding so that it overlaps and isn't flat?

You can draw lines to help to make it even.

Would I do it sort of like you do with a roof and shingles where you put one row in at a time and then overlap the next row?

Yes, but on like shingles, you do not need a peice of wood at the base

Should I paint them before or after I put them on?

If it is the green leaf ones they will warp do it after

Do I need to do anything special to the regular wood walls before I add the siding?

Make sure the glue is not water based

Do you put the siding all the way up to a windows edge and them put the outside window frame on top?

It's up yo you

Would it look more realistic if I put the outside window frames on first and the add the siding around that?

It's up to you as before but I have heard, that this is so.

Will I need to put the siding on before or after I put the outside walls of the dollhouse back together?

Either one, if you put it on before the corners can be covere with L trim.

Should I even try putting on siding since this is my first time working on a dollhouse?

You can do anything yous set your mind to!

Nicole, I always paint my siding pieces first making sure to cover the edges with paint. I always put my window and door trim on the houses first and always make sure you have wood strips on the corners to butt your siding strips up against. Makes a nicer looking corner. I overlap very little, just enough to cover the top of the last board. Start from the bottom and work your way up. I can't help you with measuring, I have never done that. I don't do anything to my walls before putting up the siding and I use Ailene's Tacky Glue. You don't need alot of glue, just a thin strip and you may have to hold it for a few seconds until the strip takes hold.

You can check out how I've done it here: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...i&img=26816

There are a few pictures there that might help you.

- Some people here use cereal box/ cardboard materials for siding- Consider testing out your siding skills on those 1st might help. Simply cut them into strips and follow Corwin'suggestions.

Also tape up the siding to see before permanently glue them in - just to see how they look- Go slow.

I did siding on my first house. It'd add character to the house. Choose smooth sidings or sand them before gluing them to the house. I made that mistake.

I painted mine after and it looks fine. Put a few rows on, tape them down with painter's tape, wait for the glue to right, then continue. I added the outside window trims after and had a lot of sanding of the siding to to. So I would put the outside window trims on first- paint these if they are a different color than the siding- - It's a piece of pumpkin pie. You can do it! Come back if you have issues

• 2 weeks later...

I love the Greenleaf siding. It's thin, so it curls when wet (like with waterbased paints & glue), and flattens out when dry. I trace around the exterior window trims first and butt the siding to the traced lines, then install the trim. I prefer to paint after.

• 1 month later...

Good questions Nicole. Thanks for asking. I am working on my first house that does not have the clapboard siding already attached. I am planning on getting the siding sheets (pic) for my house that I am working on. (Sea Side Villa) I thought about the strips, but my luck I would have them all lopsided! <_<

7336.jpg

I thought about the strips, but my luck I would have them all lopsided
You haven't looked too closely at RL siding lately, have you?lol Seriously, when you draw the parallel lines to use for placement of the top edge of your siding strip, it's a lot harder than you think to mess up.