Halp

Rhonda

I think I can make one from my head but what kind of material would you use for it? I am picturing an old bed with "rope" slats I have a tutorial on how to lace the rope but now I need to figure out what to make the metal part out of. Wood is out as I need something I can bend. Back in the day I had a job for awhile which entailed bending stainless steel so I am familar with how it is done, I just dont have access to a bender. I am sure I can rig up some kind of jig to do this with. Obviosly I cannot make it out of stainless steel as that would be pretty costly. hollow copper I am afraid that it would collaspse as I was bending it. any ideas out there?

solid brass dowel? I have one that is about 1/16" diameter. It would bend with a jig, hold its shape, solder easily. I think Lloyd bought it at Michaels or Hobby Lobby along with other metal bits and bobs.

Brass tubes can be used for the bedposts. They come in round or square. Cut them with a jeweler's saw (or get a metal-cutting blade for your coping saw) or use a fine-toothed hack saw.

For the jig, what about nails pounded firmly into a piece of 2x4 or something equally robust?

Mini years ago DH & I found & bought a wire-bending jig at Ben Franklin in Kailua, HI. I used it to make La Casita's "iron" gate:

gallery_8_1766_107489.jpg

I used coathanger wire, which eventually cuts with wirecutters. You can make the bedframe wood and drill holes where you want the ends of your curved wires to go through. And Kathie is right on, you can make a bending jig with nails, a board, a sturdy vise and some good pliers. It's wonderfully therapeutic!