Proxxon Scroll Saw

alycemina

Hi, I just this past week set up my Proxxon although I have had it for several months. It is fabulous for actual scroll work that I have tried on foam core (thin) and thin bass wood. But as I said, I am having a lot of trouble cutting out windows etc with it - I keep breaking blades (there is a tension adjustment but I havent conquered it, I guess). I suspect that it just isnt good for straightish cuts but really only for squiggles. A couple of things I dont like (unless I am doing it wrong):To change the blade, one has to remove a large component with two or three screws, depending on the heighth. So it is not a friendly set up in this regard. One also has to cut the blade length to specs. It does have a very good pressure foot (like on a sewing machine) to hold down the imediate saw area - this I like and my Skill RL ss doesnt have for some reason. Overall I like it but I think it is an artsy/craftsy (rather than scientific) set up and adjustment. The set up and use directions are dismal.

You can get those speed controls for any saw. You just plug in the saw to the foot peddle & that into the outlet. Check your blade to see if it only cuts on the up or down stroke. If it only cuts one way, it could be pulling up on your piece, causing you trouble. I was surprised at how many different types of blades are available for scroll saws. I found a video on fret work that gave me a lot of pointers. I have a very good Craftsman saw that is complicated to change blades, but I got an old, no name one at a yard sale for $5 that works great & is easy to change blades !! It was a bit hard to find blades for it, but I found a place that had them, so I stocked up !

Hang in there...You'll get it !!

Steve in PA

I got an old, no name one at a yard sale for $5 that works great & is easy to change blades !! It was a bit hard to find blades for it, but I found a place that had them,
I also use DH RL no-name scrollsaw (I guess it's mine, I'm the only one who uses it) and I use the blades made by Vermont American in it. I also found a general scrollsaw book that I use to set it up. If you're adept with a sewing machine you can use a scrollsaw, and therefore you can expect tension to be of vital importance, as well as using the blade best adapted for the kind of cuts you want to make (like changing your needles depending on the kind of sewing/ fabric you use).