Green Tomato Recipes

Hallowell

I've made yummy pickles from them (mini, mini years ago!) and you can't beat them fired! I shake the slices in a bag with a little cornmeal, salt & fresh-ground pepper, dip them in a saucer of milk and shake them again, and fry them in just a wee bit of olive oil until they're golden & drisp.

I do the same receipe as HOlly, only instead of corn meal I use italian flavored dried bread crumbs. Yummy! I too love fried green tomatoes! And we have about 30 of them on our vines in the living room!!!!!!

Ooo, I'm going to try the Italian flavored breadcrumbs next time.

Gina, have you tried the gingerbread version of your mug cake recipe? I subbed 3 Tbsps dark brown sugar and 1 of ribbon cane syrup for the sugar to give it the right color. So far I've made it with the "golden" raisins and with regular raisins; next time I'll try those "jumbo red" raisins.

My neighbor and I used to make a relish that had green tomatoes, onions, green bell peppers and I do not remember what else. It tastes soooo good on a burger.

Do you have a huge amount of them? You can wrap them individually in newspaper. Then put them in a paper grocery bag, and keep in a dark corner of your kitchen. Keep an eye on them and they will ripen that way.

Our tomatos were an absolute bust this year :) Usually I make green tomato relish from them this time of year but we only got a few red ones and then the plants gave up the ghost so no greenies this year.

Frying the green tomatoes is a great way to prepare them. I used to make pickled green tomatoes and also relish. I loved to can and kept us in canned vegetables for the whole winter. This is back when the kids were little.

The past 5 years we had a large fig tree in the backyard and I made fig compote and canned it. It was delicious over ice cream, on toast, etc. The boys would usually take 2-3 jars of it home when they visited.

So now we moved to Florida right at the peak fig time....!!! No fig compote. Two of the boys took our house, and I gave them specific instruction on the care and picking of figs, ripeness, preparation, etc. I spoke to them back in September about the figs....had they picked any, etc.

"Huh?....uhhhh, no!" was the reply. So much for the figs.

I have coconut palms, lime trees, and I believe I will pot up some tomato plants and see what I can do with them.

my mother and grandmother both used a mix of flour and cornmeal to drop the fresh sliced green tomatoes into and then straight into the fry pan which at that time was bacon grease or crisco.....back then when you could eat that kind of food and it didn't hurt you....oh, how I yearn for those days........

Elicia

Freezing my behind off in South Carolina......

Thanks for the heads up on the mug cake Holly! We will be trying that this evening! Cool! Thanks!

I am wataching my tomatoes very carefully! As soon as they are a pound or so, off they come green or red.....red for a sort of thingie I make for roast beef sandwiches, and green for frying..... And you can still fry in Crisco and it does not hurt you! Don't be afraid of using your more natural items for cooking....it's truly better for you.

I have coconut palms, lime trees, and I believe I will pot up some tomato plants and see what I can do with them.
The nice thing about where you are now is that you can get at least two crops a year if you have a sheltered, sunny spot. Limes? Sounds like Key lime pie to me! (YUM!!!)

Here is my recipe for

Oven Fried Green Tomatoes

4 large green tomatoes (or 6 small)

2 beaten eggs

1 5oz can of evaporated milk (you can get skim)

1/3 cup water

1 ½ cup all purpose flour

Grease two 15 inch backing pans, slice tomatoes ¼ inch thick. In a bowl mix eggs milk and water add a teas salt and a pinch of pepper. Pour flour in shallow bowl or on plate. Dip tomatoes one at a time into egg mixture and then into flour dip into egg and four again. Arrange tomatoes on greased pans so that the edges don’t touch. Bake uncovered in an oven set at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Turn them half way though.

Per slice 48 calories, 1 gram fat, 17 mg chol,am protein, 8 g carbo. 0 fiber, 4 mg sodium

Delicious and Healthy (also not greasy) Make sure to preheat your oven

Greg,

Let me know if you want the recipe for the relish. I will email her to get it so you can give it a try. If Fred loves it, it is good stuff (he can be very picky). It has a bit of sweetness to it but not overly sweet.

Great on hamburgers, hot dogs, etc. You can put up enough of them that you will have them for a BBQ in the summer.

WOW, I just notice that you are almost at 10,000 post. It's amazing how time passes .

Eeek! I am a big mouth! ROFL

I will email her right now and I should get it today or tomorrow morning.

Eeek! I am a big mouth! ROFL

I will email her right now and I should get it today or tomorrow morning.

Nope, not a big mouth at all and I love hearing what you have to say!

Hugs

Thanx Heidi, I'll be watching. I'm in and out all weekend, helping a friend move. :rofl:

She forgot to bring the recipe to work on Friday. So I am going to call her later today to get it for you. She called me to apologize and not to worry. You will be able to get moving on it right away..LOL

Now her recipe says NOTHING about canning the relish after it is done. She says that the heat from the hot relish sealed them... :whistle:

I would bring mine home after we were done and can them right away. 10 mins in a water bath and they will be all set to put in your cabinet.

I should have checked my email first!

Green Tomato Relish

24 green tomatoes

3 red bell peppers, Halved and seeded

3 green bell peppers, halved and seeded

10 large yellow or vidalia onions

3 Tab. celery seed

3 Tab. Mustard seed

1 Tab. salt

5 cups of white sugar

2 cups of cider vinegar

*you can adjust the recipe for the amount of tomatoes you have or want to use..you can also adjust the sugar if you do not want it to be too sweet*

-In food processor , coursely pulse tomatoes, peppers,and onions. Not too chunky but not too fine of a chop. Relish like..LOL When you have done it all, pour mixture in a cheesecloth lined colander to let the excess liquid drain. It should take a half hour to an hour.

-In large stockpot, combine tomato mixture and all other ingredients. Bring up to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes. Stay close and stir frequently.

Now this is where you can them. Do you know what to do by this step or do you want canning instruction too? I do not remember if you said you do know. I will add that if you do not.

I water bath my relish for 10 minutes.