DIY ideas half scale old fashion sink?

Shanna

Hi,

I'm new to this dollhouse stuff and am constantly amazed by how you all can turn misc. whatnot into beautiful, creative dh items! Seriously, I'm so impressed! So, after wracking my brain and coming up with no good ideas, it occured to ask for help...

I want to make a half-scale old fashion sink like the one in the picture I hope will show up below. I suppose I could use clay? But I don't know what to use as a mold so that it will be uniform and smooth (I'm not talented enough to do this out of clay or anything else without a mold). I'm thinking it should be about... what? somewhere around 1.5 to 2 inches wide (from the wall), and maybe 1/2 to 3/4 inch deep? What do you think? Any ideas?

THANK YOU!!

post-3478-1224617583_thumb.jpg

I would use one of those single-serving jelly containers to mold the clay around, then cut it in half and mold a bit of clay on the cut end to make the drainboard part. You can make your taps & drainpipe from clay painted silvery and use the turned toothpicks for the legs.

Thanks Holly. I'm not sure if the single-serve jelly tub would be quite big enough for a double wide sink like this? Maybe for shaping the inside? After you suggested that, I thought about maybe a small mint tin (like for mini-altoids?), but then I started looking at clay... oh my.

I didn't know there are dozens of different kinds of clay, and I don't know if any of the home-bake type would come out shiny like a sink. I'm totally overwhelmed and discouraged now :wave:

dont be overwhelmed or discouraged...just give it a go...if your first attempt is useless, laugh at it take a pic and destroy it!!! :)

Thats what i do all the time 2nd attempt will be better :)

Shanna, your timing is so funny! Don't be discouraged! I just went through the same process myself. I certainly don't have a budget for a $40 dollar sink so I fiddled around and made one myself.

The file was too large to post in this message, but it is in my gallery:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...i&img=30280

I used these wood pieces I found in a bag at Walmart or Michaels, cutting smaller pieces for the sides and slicing off some of the height for the front piece. I then spackled over the whole thing, let it dry, sanded it, and am painting it with some gloss white paint. The base is a small table I made. When I propped the sink on it to check for height, I liked it so I'm keeping it. :) You could also glue on turned legs you can order from HBS or I've even seen "brick" posts for support as a more rustic look. If you use a fabric skirt around the base, you can prop it up on anything!

The icebox was formerly a base cabinet. I extended the top higher with pieces of basswood, made the door and trimmed it with skinny sticks. The whole thing still needs sanding to even up the door edges and staining for it to look nice!

You can see the "construction" such as it is here:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...i&img=30281

Have fun! Where there's a will, there's a way! :)

For a sink basin perhaps you could the plastic packaging from those little handi-snacks cheese and crackers. You could cover up the long cracker side with another piece of plastic and use the cheese side for the sink? Paint the clear plastic with white paint..if you painted it from undernead it would have the plasticky shine to it...add wood turnins for legs? I'm not sure what the scale would look like though...

I'm feeling better this morning, I was just tired yesterday afternoon I guess. I've never been really "crafty".. no, that doesn't sound right, not that kind of crafty, lol! I mean artistic I guess.

Anyhow, thanks for all the great ideas! I'm going to have to stop at the grocery store and walk around measuring all the little containers like crackers & cheese, mini-mints, etc. Hope I don't get hauled off to the loony bin. :roflmao:

Holly, what kind of clay do you use for the bellfast sinks? Are all the "oven-bake" clays pretty much the same, or is one kind better for sinks and such?

Thanks again! Hey, I have a few min before my dr appointment, I'll grab my camera to download the pics and post a few pictures of my little Fairfield to my gallery.

cya,

Shanna

I use white Super Sculpey III and mold around the bottom of a mustard tin. The first one I made I forgot to poke a drain hole in it, but I remember better now. When I bake it I put a bit of balled up foil inside to support the shape and cover it with foil so it doesn't darken. This is what it looked like befroe I added the polyclay tap & drainpipe:

gallery_8_149_249838.jpg