To bash or not to bash?

Brandon

So Im at the point where the roof is about to go on my Glencroft...Ive always thought this house was just perfect as it is...I couldnt imagine any bashing it might need. Famous last words, huh?

Well...I came across the octagon room box that was the prize for all of us who entered the HBS Sugarplum contest years back...and wonder if I slice it in half (such that half of the "floor" can become the "roof")...wouldnt that make a cool kitchen? I could cut the right bay down to floor level, making it a wide doorway, and then the original smallest downstairs room could be for dining.

Not sure how to make it look right on the outside though? What do you guys think? Should I bash it?

The only problem I see with the plan is that adding that chunky, clunky MDF Grand Ballroom roombox, even cut in half, to either Glencroft side wall will destroy the original look. If it were me (here goes) I'd use either another piece of 1/8" plywood or foamcore, duplicate the kitchen part of the front wall and splice on additional floor to make the kitchen wide enough for a dinner table & chairs, and use the original side; and make the roof over the addition more or less flat, since I really wouldn't make the bathroom any bigger...

Sue...yeah I would create the half timber and stucco look on the addition too.

Holly...youre right. I cut the roombox in half...and it just looks like something that fell outta the sky. Im gonna play with it a bit and see if I can come up with anything to make it a little more "right" but Im thinking its a bad idea. Ill get some picture of it up next to the Glencroft here in a bit.

added photos to my gallery. I sort of stuck the bay I would be removing onto the angled wall of the addition...then after I took the pictures, put it on the front wall, which looks somewhat better. But Im just not sure...hard to picture it without the details...

gallery_96_2368_288021.jpg

Once you cut the hole for the bay and cover the addition with half-timbering and fill it will look considerably better! I wonder if you want to treat this as a "late" addition and enlarge that upstairs window to accommodate French doors and make the top of the addition a terrace/ balcony with an ornamental railing, or finish it off as a screen room/ conservatory and bash the bathroom with a hinged wall.

• 1 month later...

I am planning on bashing my glencroft also. My husband and I are going to try and mirror-image the right side onto the left at the end of the staircase, which would include mirroring the curved roof at the front, centre the door, and add additional windows. Got the original idea from the book "Dollhouses to Dreamhouses". Want to finish it in paperclay like the "my mini shop" blog. I never thought of bashing it on the other side - hum... maybe I need to do some more thinking before we start cutting out the new pieces....