Reasonable Dollhouse Life Span

I was just wondering how long should someone expect a dollhouse to last. Even if it was built correctly, using wood glue, primed, etc is it reasonable to expect it to last decades or more, maybe 100 years? What do you all think?

Hi, Gina . . . My bet is on a really long time (decades, I hope). I base this on all the REALLY old ones I've seen still intact. Also, there are still a lot of Bliss houses in good shape even though they had so much paper on them. I've always been surprised by that. Anyway, this is just a guess, and I suppose it does partly depend on how good a quality materials are used to start with, but I should think that they would hold up pretty well. :wave:

Gina, Corwin is right. It depends on the person in charge of the house. I restored one from 1775. It was the worst. People had let kids play with it and paint it. Some that were a lot newer than that one were in just as bad condition. Others from the different eras that I worked on needed little or now work on them at all. If people care enough to take care of the houses that are handed down to them, the houses will last just about forever. They just need proper maintenance and care.

I hope mine will last forever too! I have seen some 100+ year old ones in a local museum! The secret I assume is to somehow instill the love of minis and dollhouses in the next generation, so the TLC can continue throughout eternity!

I believe it depends upon the owner....we may hand our dollhouses down to family members and hope for the best. I know I couldn't bear to think that something I had spent years on making would be "played" with and destroyed. But I'll be gone before that happens, do you think we will know about it? LOL

I would hope they would last for a few generations anyway..........now you've got me worried!

Im hoping mines last forever as well.

Wolfie, lol, nopes, I dont think we will know about it after we're gone but I still think Id be spinning in my grave if my houses were "played" with and broken. Is it spinning or turning? Spinning sounds like way too much, I dont even have that much energy while alive.

I have one of the houses my grandmother built about 30 years ago. I can still smell her home in it, and I have had it about 11 years. She used some glue instead of curtains in that house, so took them down and cut out where the glue turned the material orange. I also took out all of her electrical, and it was pretty old and not working right. Her paper in some of the rooms yellowed, so my daughter and I upgraded all the paper except 2 rooms. Out of the 4 homes I have, my daughter plays with that one the most.

My first build was the Harrison. I got if for my 12th birthday nearly 30 years ago and gave it to my niece for her 12th birthday. Its still sturdy and I've trained my nieces and nephews well on taking care of things from previous generations to continue through future generations. They in turn are treasuring their favorite toys to pass down to their children.

I feel secure that, barring acts of God and criminality, that my houses will go on long past my lifetime.

I was glad to see this question on here because I have been wondering this myself. I hope that my houses will last long enough to be passed down to future generations. I go peek into my house first house all the time to make sure everything still looks the same. I worry about the glue holding and things fading. My quilt shop that I made for my mother in law makes me stress because she is several states away and since she got to display the shop in the window of a doll store I have been worried about if the sun was on it. I know that on every visit I will be checking it out making sure nothing is broke,missing or whatever. She does have some grandkids that I would suspect if anythings messed up. I believe that after reading wrote I just wrote that I must have OCD! :wave: Oh well I think you have to have that a little to even work with mini's in the first place! lol