I got a new house

chesterfieldzoo

I was looking on craigslist on a whim and a house came up. 10 minutes away. I called the guy this morning. He had built it for his daughter who no longer wants it. It is missing a few pieces (door, railings) the shingles need to be redone and it needs paint and landscaping and such. But it is assembled well and square. I thought it was a bargain at $10.

There was another one, but it was a leettle too pricey for me - $6000. And it needed work.

I see quite a few for cheap, but they are over an hour away usually or houses I already have. This one is perfect because I have one in the box, but it was severely damaged years ago by a small flood in the basement. I was going to cut new pieces to build it. Now I can use that one for missing pieces on the new one. I have absolutely no idea what I am going to do with it (decorating wise) I plan basic color schemes months in advance of a build, but with this being a surprise, I am going to have to stare at it for a while.

Any suggestions on interior era and exterior colors? I am thinking maybe 1940's? Or 20's? Post victorian but pre modern - that transition time.

Congratulations on such a great find - and for such a great price!!! It's a beauty! How about a soft grey with cranberry and navy accents for exterior? just a thought, but I'm sure it will be lovely in any color scheme. (I suppose the navy and cranberry wouldn't fit the era you want to do though :o I think their color schemes were a bit more "colorful")

At any rate - it will be a fun project for you.

Have fun with your new house!

Wonderful deal!! I love that house! :o

I didn't have to stare at it for long - it about smacked me in the head, all the way here in Florida, yelling "early '40s!!" Wartime - see Goldie Hawn in Swing Shift. Goldie's house was nothing like this one, but the look and feel of that movie is what I saw in this house.

I'm seriously envious.

Ohhhhh, green with envy, in a very good way afcourse, of your great find, congratulation!!!

Looking forward to seeing how it takes shape with your attention!

Hugs

I am thinking maybe 1940's? Or 20's? Post victorian but pre modern - that transition time
My favorite era! Mine hasn't spoken to me yet, but that's just as well, it's pretty far down the stack of houses waiting to be built.

BTW, that goes 'way beyond "bargain"!

1940's? Or 20's? Post victorian but pre modern - that transition time.

My favorite era!

My favorite era too. Although I love to look at Victorians and decorate for that era, my RL favorite is WWII and a little earlier.

I find wartime USA an extremely "romatic" time, for some reason. I was born in 1945, so 1925-50 was kind of prime time for my parents. Maybe that's why I'm attracted to the era.

If you do the house in this time period I'll be SOOOO excited to see its progress.

Congratulations on the great deal!

Make sure your kitchen shines so brightly that it could blind you. My Mom waxed her floors to high shine once every week!

Here is a 1930s dh. Check out the radio on the bottom of this page.

In the house where I grew up, all the doors had doorknobs like this.

I cannot wait to see what you do with it.

Wow, thanks for the links. After I posted the thread I thought it was funny that all I have to do is look around my house for ideas as well. I have a lot of stuff from the thirties. Our boat was a 1936 cruiser, I have a huge radio, floor lamps, knickknacks, clocks. I plan on making mini versions of some of them. I think I even have a mini 30's boat somewhere...

I am going to upgrade the windows. The existing ones are a lovely dark yellow and very brittle. I am going to try to get the shingles off also, they are spaced very far apart like there weren't enough. Now I am very anxious for saturday (frankenmuth) so I can look for people and stuff for inside. What's nice is because of the era, it wouldn't be unreasonable to have some victorian stuff.

I usually hate rehabs. This is looking fun though.