Showcase Our Miniature Finds

Minis On The Edge

I got the coolest thing today! I custom built dollhouse that definately needs some TLC. I originally contacted the owner via craigslist for the furniture, but when I got there and saw the house.... :giggle: I was in love. The house is phenomenal, but has fallen into serious disrepair. It seems to be a rushed job... and there was some damage done when I removed furniture, most of which had been glued in. (Tips on safely removing hot glue from furniture?) The carpet all needs to be pulled out and redone.... there is a lot of.... feces of unknown origin, but probably a mouse. She is a beauty though and I can't wait to get to work on her! I have promised DH though that I would finish of on the Coventry before throwing myself into this one. He thought I was silly when I hugged the house as I tucked it into the closet for time being. He loves his car, I am entitled to love my house. :buddies:

Here is a sneek peek of the house, but see my album for ALLLLLLLLLLLLL the goodies!!!

Edited by Momof2Moos

It sure will be fun, and I can't wait to get started. But I need to the right thing and not disregard the Coventry. So little, or big, helpless house will have to sit in the closet for a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I am brand new to the hobby, I was scanning Craigslist for furniture (I have none) and I came across this. A woman sold me the house and everything in it for $10! She is the one who built it, it is unfinished, but she gave me the shingles and gingerbread and even sandpaper and a new paintbrush. The instructions call it the "Peaches 'N Cream Dollhouse" Right now, it is for my girls to play with. When they are a little older, maybe we'll do a rehab. I also might comandeer some of the furniture - which still has price tags on it $$.

gallery_5643_4292_108129.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have to take pictures later..I am hot and tired. But I found some minis!!

I went to a church rummage sale today. I found two black cast iron owls..they are about an 1 and a half tall. They are very heavy. I was thinking maybe they were part of an unusual chess set at one time.

Anyway..They are going to go in the Pomeroy house! I have not decided if it will be inside or outside. I will post pics later.

I have recently become slightly obsessed with this beautiful turquoise hand painted German furniture. The bench and armoire I got at my local mini shop's annual yard sale a few weeks ago. The clock I just got from eBay, and it works! It's not battery operated, it has real little gears and a pendulum. How cool is that?! And since I have this thing with working clocks, of course I had to get it...

Now I need to keep working on my collection, then figure out where they will live.

gallery_3297_2706_261423.jpg

That is a beautiful set - I hope you can find more. The fact that the clock actually works just blows me away - what a treasure. They look like vintage pieces ... but as you got two of them at your mini shop - I guess they're not. I would be in love with them too, if I owned them. :)

Thanks everyone, I do love them. And the clock is WAY cool, with all its little gears and all. From what I understand, they are from the early 70's. My mini shop has a yard sale every year where others can participate and bring in their stuff basically on consignment sorta to sell, and that's where I got the first 2, although I had been seeing them on eBay for a while. I see different pieces come up on eBay quite often, but it just comes down to whether I can justify spending the money at the time. But the clock was a must. And I didn't even really get how neat it was until after I received it.

There is an entire house for sale right now on my local Craigslist, 4 rooms with all the furniture, curtains, lamps, and even a little doll. Wishing...

Thank you for posting that link- I saw it earlier and it is in my watch list!

I found a treasure trove on my craigslist this week- a fellow had a box full of trim and 'dollhouse supplies' that he wanted $50 for. I could see from the pics it had more than 4 of the HOM kits so I ran down and bought it from him. WOW!!! It was like Christmas unpacking that box! There were two Carlsons 1/2 scale kits- the Victorian Bay and the Old Time Store- both were in stages of completion but the lady who belonged to the box had done a FABULOUS job so far. I haven't touched those yet. There were also 5 new light fixtures that cost around $20 each in the late 70's, and at least 6 more that had been removed from the packaging but look to be in good shape. Enought electrical supplies to do several houses. Also at least 4 packages of hardware- doorknobs, drawer pulls and hinges. There were at least 100 full size pieces of trim- most were marked with pricing about 1/6th of what we might pay now. There were also several kits for textiles and a whole bunch of felt bear kits and accessories? (If anyone knows anything about miniature bears can you fill me in?) There was also a magnetic jig!! AND a set of unopened HOM finishing jars- perfect! Even the thinner was full. There were 4 or 5 kits including two different Chippendale arm chairs and the Chippendale Double Chair Settee. BUT- even better - I found packed into a little box the partially glued together Chippendale Broken-Bonnet Highboy! WOOHOO! I just saw a straight top one go for $36 on Ebay todayand though I haven't been doing this very long- that is one I haven't seen offered yet. And ALL the parts were still there with it and the directions! I have finished that one today and it is all ready to start the clear coats. It is the most beautiful piece.

I am considering calling the gentlemen I bought the box from to tell him his mother's treasures are being well - appreciated! I am guessing the value of the contents of that box have got be close to $800.

Sorry I haven't been around but I got bit by this mini-bug something fierce and I have been busy building and fixing and bashing- my daughter Sydney has been helping alot too. I need to share some photos since we are now on house #4! (Siince May-LOL)

Kathy

Now- I haven't FINISHED 4 houses since May-LOL! We have ACQUIRED 4 houses since May! (And 3 others still in their boxes- hee hee) Yes- this from the person who was only going to do one- right!

BTW- I am really glad I am not doing the Garfield- I found a completed Pierce on my Craigslist last week too and it is plenty big enough- it wouldn't fit in my truck to get home so we had to tie it in the back. I live on a dirt road so I was nervous about the washboard so the kids sat in back and held it for me so it wouldn't get bumped. This was AFTER we exited the highway!!

This Pierce was well done by the first owner- electrified and interior wallpaper fairly good. The second person, however- messed it up- cut out all the wiring that was exposed and covered up all the ceilings with white copy paper. Bad glue job on the porch and trim- cleaning that up now. They also patched the third floor and removed (or never installed) the stairs.

I will put some pics of that one in an album too. It is not going to be nearly as dramatic as the first one we found.

My first one- Orchid- is slated to go to our school fundraiser auction in September. I did nothing to the interior so I am thinking it might be fun for someone to finish how they like it. (Seems to me generally speaking many people are more interested in doing the interior- and the exterior of many of these houses I see is lacking in good construction)

We got another that the shingles are on upside down.....

Guest Nathaniel

Hello!

I just bought and picked up this HUGE GORGEOUS Victorian house! Can anyone help me identify its name and value? I actually emailed the seller about it over a year ago and it was still available a year later so i snatched it up! :rant: SOOOOO EXCITED ABOUT IT!!!

Click here to see it!

This house is now the PINNACLE of my collection - so far.... LOL :no:

Any ideas on its name or builder?

Any ideas on what you would value it at? I am trying to justify what I spent on it... lol..... :)

I will post more pics of it later all furnished with Bespaq and other HIGH quality furniture. Only the best for this baby! LOL :)

Thanks!

Nathaniel

p.s. can you tell im excited? :)