Showcase Our Miniature Finds

Minis On The Edge

I already have a Marquam, but couldn't pass up a bargain. It has been a while since I last scored some kits that I personally like.

Ah, congratulations. I can't help but be a *teensy bit jealous... I have always LOVED the Marquam. Maybe I'll find one at a reasonable-ish price someday too. <crossing fingers>

There's a whole range of furniture in the same style. There's an arch, there's a little arch bridge, there are a few bigger benches, there's a swing, there's a rocking chair, there are two plant stands, matching fences and even round benches you put on either side of a tree to form a circle.

They come in a white painted finish, or the rusty brown one.

These are the bits that I found 6 months ago at our craft store in Dubai (similar prices) and I stocked up so much, the shop girl asked me if I was opening my own shop heeheehee.

• Like 1

Cool,Lene! I'd love to see the rocking chair. I've seen my set in green,too. It seemed a little expensive to me,at first-for wire furniture-but it has a wonderful smooth shiny finish that doesn't show up in the photos and is very sturdy. I was also worried it might be a little off-scale,but I think it looks good sitting in my rehab Orchid/beach house and my Buttercup-sized Dura-Craft Ashley-in-progress. My son and I just ordered 2 more sets-one will be in a future Halloween build for him,in which case I guess I'll paint it black.:D

Picked up this half scale beauty at an open house at Peg's Dollhouses in Santa Rosa today. I saw this house (the "Little Belle") a few years ago on the cover of an old Nutshell News and told myself if I ever saw one I'd buy it. About 30 seconds passed between when I saw it on the shelf and when I tracked Peg down and ask what she wanted for it, and she only asked for $100! Score! (And I snapped it up right under Debora's nose, sorry about that. :()

The front of the house is cast resin. The siding on the sides isn't in such great shape and the cute wrought iron railings have seen better days. The inside is a totally blank slate. It's wired with little spotlights but I plugged it in and nothing happened (story of my life!)

post-7-0-49963500-1405821539_thumb.jpg post-7-0-16673300-1405821537_thumb.jpg post-7-0-10213100-1405821535_thumb.jpg post-7-0-01453300-1405821533_thumb.jpg

Sitting next to my Queen Anne Rowhouse:

post-7-0-64925900-1405821528_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Wow! Great price for a great house. Never stops to be amazing the differences between 1/2" scaled houses. Your new house seems to over-scale the Rowhouse.

:bear:

Not sure what you mean, Gail. The floors seem to be the same height on both houses. The third floor on the row house does make it loom above the cottage, but proportionally they seem compatible.

Imo, the windows are so significantly different that it lends the illusion of the scales being quite different from each other. The doors, on the other hand, seem to be similarly sized. Just the way I look at it ....

Really love the new one, btw.

Thanks everyone! The ceiling height is slightly taller in the new house, but the new one is also four stories instead of three. That plus the bigger windows is what gives it the sense of towering over the Queen Anne Rowhouse, I think.

Incidentally I have another Queen Anne Rowhouse kit in the box, and I'd been thinking I would someday build it as a mirror image of the first and put them side by side. Now that I've seen these two next to each other, I'm thinking I could add a new ground floor (with garage) to the second Rowhouse, so it would be more like the height of the new house, and they could be displayed as a row of three. You do see houses like this in San Francisco - a few tall ones with a shorter one next to it. The only downside to displaying them all next to each other is that having the houses next door to each other gets in the way of opening up the hinged side panels.

The windows on the new house really are authentic to the houses in San Francisco. That's the effect I wanted on my Queen Anne Rowhouse but the window holes were already cut when I got the shell, and I didn't want to do that much bashing.

• Like 1

I was trolling on Craigslist again and came across a new listing. It was a huge lot of furniture, tools and accessories.There was no price listed , but there was a phone number. The nice man that answered asked what I would do with all of it. I told him that I build houses, furnish them, then give them away to someone who really wants one or I donate it to a cause so I can make room to build another one. He said that was exactly what his wife did. She passed a year ago and he wants it all to go to someone who does the same. He told me to come get it and he doesn't want any money for it, he just wants it put to good use and not just listed on Ebay and sold to the highest bidder. It made my eyes leak a little bit and I think I have a crush on a complete stranger. :wub:

• Like 6

Update on my Craigslist find. OMG!!! It wasn't a little bit of stuff, it was a truck load! Tools, paper. flooring, mini kits of all kinds, 3 boxes of (mostly high end) furniture. doll making supplies, mini fabics and laces, flower, books, household accessories, wood trim/molding...etc. We took a SUV and it filled the cargo area and the back seat. It was so packed we couldn't see out the rearview mirror, LOL. And...he didn't want a dime for any of it! He was such a sweetheart! He told stories of his and his wifes mini hunting trips and of the things they made together. I could have stayed and visited for hours.

• Like 5

I see one very busy Trish in the coming months!

If you don't think you'll be using all of it, you might consider donating to our member Ann New York for her dollhouses for cancer kids. She can always use furniture and accessories.

• Like 1

We went to our local auction house this evening and one of the offerings was a Storybook Cottage that had been built with hot glur (even the furniture, which the builder had upholstered, glue globs & all!) that no one else bid on and I popped up my hand when the auctioneer hit his rock bottom starting price. As I have mentioned elsewhere, my first attempt at a rehab was a Storybook Cottage, but I was unable to disassemble it to fix the second floor. While I will hate to destroy the pretty upholstery job, the funky globs of hot glue HAVE to go! and the singles are falling off already. It has been mumbling at me for months in the auction house, so I don't expect it to be shy about what it wants when it hits the workbench (after Washington and the Poor Pitiful Pearl II Orchid).

• Like 2

I've been cleaning and straightening my husbands area of the basement. Day 4. He brought all his gear back from Afghanistan over a year ago! And he never puts a tool up in his work room.

So in a fit of I need a break I went to the goodwill outlet - it was a mess but I found this cute little "day timer". I'm not sure if it's homemade, or part of some doll set, but since you pay by the pound there, it was super cheap.

I also picked up some samples of fabric and leather that will make great carpets and to cover furniture. At last I can cheaply attempt to recover w leather (or fake leather).

post-14520-0-59106400-1407297537_thumb.j