Holiday gifts on a budget

heidiiiii

my mom and my best friend's mom (going through chemo right now for advanced lung cancer) always love amaryllis bulbs in pots to watch after the holidays. Sometimes they are very reasonable at places like Wally-mart.

Heidi, you just made me flash on one memorable Christmas morning when we still lived in Signal Mountain, TN, and DS#3 was 3. The older boys each got a GI Joe in their stockings and he got a stuffed animal, and each kid got a packagoe of fig newtons along with other small dollar store toys. The "rule" was that stockings could be opened before breakfast, but the gifts under the tree had to wait until after. The older two were deeply engrossed in their action figures and toy cars, etc; I was busy cooking breakfast & DH's attention was focussed on the coffee maker, so no one watched as #3 quietly went from one stocking to the next, downing fig newtons until breakfast was ready and the older two made a beeline for the table and the youngest sat there holding the last package of cookies in one hand, more than half-empty and a bite out of the one in his other hand, looking perfectly miserable and far too full to be able to eat any of his breakfast!

Oh yes Holly. You have to watch those kids with the candy and treats in the stocking! They can O.D. on it before breakfast comes to the table.

I have mentioned this before but I wanted to say it again for some that have not heard me say this...

I never put the girls names on their presents.

Instead I became creative..and they always hated it! ROFL

Laverne and Shirley

Tom and Jerry

Lucy and Ethel

Fric and Frac

etc...

Only YOU know whose present is whose. They will drive themselves nuts. Think about it. They are shaking their presents but are they shaking THEIR present? Or their SIBS present?

Tell them on Christmas morning.

A tradition me and my wife started with our kids was that when we go looking at X-Mas lights on X-Mas Eve. One of us sneaks back into the house to fill the stocking with new pj's and slippers for all of us. When we get back, the kids see that Santa :idiot: came early for the pj run. Of course having 3 girls at the house, we have to have a fashion show ;) . My son was barely old enough last year to understand what went on but this year he will probably join in with all of us. After they go to bed, thats when we fill the stockings with all of the good stuff, hardly any candy. (My kids are already hipper as it is now without sugar.)

Heidi, you can also find out what songs she want and download them for FREE from Limewire onto her itunes. I Love Limewire and I find songs there that are not for sell in iTunes ;) Just a thought. There are also some free book websites (Actually Swap books) http://www.swaptree.com/ is a good one. These are just suggestions that may help.

:idiot:

Our christmas tree only went up on christmas eve, and presents arrived during the night. We also got stockings before breakfast, and presents much later. Parents remembered which present was for which person without putting names on them (except when we had the same present, like each got a hairbrush or bubble bath...). I do like the idea of different names on like Heidi does!

Made a miniature scene in a hollow book for prospective MIL last christmas... wasn't too expensive using bits and pieces lying around, but she liked it.

If you have bits lying around you could make a scene too, in a hollow book, or in a box. You can print off a picture of santa in his sleigh and make a window out of sticks to put in front of it... Make a fireplace shape out of card and put a photo of a fire behind it... cut some stockings out of felt, make some presents for under a tree. Make a table out of some bits of wood with a table cloth, and some paper/unwrapped presents on it.

Muriel :idiot:

I have several things I give...... My mocha spiced coffee in a baggie with a ribbon tie - nuff for 6 cups and that is inside a pretty green or red mug when you can find them, with some home made cookies.

I've made small vignettes this year for my family and friends......just a square "floor," two walls, and a Chrysnbon chair and a round skirted table decorated either with a Christmas scene or another little scene. These are already wrapped andr eady to send. I made 4 of them.

For my granddaughters I made dolls of course. Collectible types not to be played with. For my grandsons, I made wooden airplanes on the scroll saw. And for one older grandson, a spy pod out of wood with many different parts. Those too are wrapped and ready to send. Thank goodness for Fluffy!

For my Mother who lives in an assisted living apartment I give magazine subscriptions. Ones I know she will read. she looks forward to anything coming in the mail. it also is a year round gift. After she is thru reading they are handed down to others in the family by age, oldest to youngest. She does not put up a tree so last year I made a mini tree for her. I bought a small wooden plaque, varished it and glued a 6 inch tree on. I used Lee Max mini light on the tree, disguising the battery box under a wrapped box with no bottom. then I glued lots of mini packages under the tree. Using an assortment of small beeds, I decorated the tree. I also did this for my sister who has 6 cats and does not put up a tree.

When my exteneded family got together (we no longer do this as 1/2 the family heads for the warmer climate in winter) we used to buy small gifts, wrapped and then played the dice game. We sat in a circle, had dice in a pie tin. we took turns shaking the dice and when doubles were tossed you sellected a gift. After all gifts were chosen, we set a timer for 5 minutes and continued tossing dice. If you got doubles you stole from another. Altho we did adapt this rule so no one got numerous gifts and some one else nothing. Wehad lots of fun and laughter while playing. I really do miss the family gathering.

One year for my siblings I collected recipes from my mother. Those dishes we remember from childhood. then from my sisters I gathered recipes that have been served at family gatherings that we all enjoy. I then made a cookbook. Printed out on my computer.

For our son an daughter in law who are planning a out of state vacation in '09 we will give cash. Plus a few things like books or music. Nothing extravagant tho. We stopped that years ago. John and I will exhange things like memberships to Ancestry.com Net Flicks

Rita

Well this year we will be making cookies. ( I make 5 different kinds each year) My uncle in law looks forward to it every year. ( it's the only time his wife will let him have his favorite cookie. lol)The kids are making ornaments to give and I am cross stiching a oicture for my MIL and AIL. I am sure DH will probably give his dad a gift card to eat out. I also made a few of th egifts for the kids. Crocheted blankets and doll clothes and such.

Ornaments with pics of the family are easy and cheap. So are picture frames you can decorate yourself. I have found that most people really enjoy the things made just for them more than things just bought.

My budget gifts are things like using my air miles or points collected from things like drinking coca-cola to get movie tickets free. Or buy a book of video rental coupons from the video store and make up a basket with candies and popcorn.

Gifts in a jar are nice too we have done different themed ones like pasta and added things like a garlic press and pasta spoon that can easily be found at the dollar store. We have made homemade salsa and given those in gift baskets.

I often make baked goods, fudge and chocolates which i make fillings for so they are special and make them in christmas themed moulds.

One of the best gifts i have ever recieved on a budget is a personalized mug. Starbucks has a tumbler mug that you can remove the insert and add your own designs to it. My sister started that with my daughter and i end up getting a new one each year all with pictures of her from that year. She colours on them adds her handprints and puts in pictures. It is the best keepsake and my most cherished gift. It can be done with anything maybe someone's pets or friends or family or even just all about things that interest the person and the mugs dont cost much either.

I dont drink coffee but i still use it for tea or juice or hot cocoa.

Last year for christmas i made an embroidered tablecloth and tea towels for my dad. He loves mickey mouse and has been collecting all kinds of stuff for his kitchen that is mickey mouse so i used that theme when making his gifts.

My grandmother used to make me barbie doll furniture when i was a kid she made it out of plastic canvass and yarn. Both of which are not terribly expensive. I loved those things she made some beautiful furniture too. I had all kinds of things she made me an ice cream shop and a pool table and a beautiful canopy bed with a dresser that had real working drawers and then made a wardrobe for me to have my dolls clothes in.

another thing my grandmother made was pillows that were themed one had a doghouse and a little knitted dog that could go inside of it. Which were great for the car we had something to play with and a pillow to rest with if we got tired.

My mom made a really cute thing for my daughter one year before she stopped talking to me it was a shadow box which had little dolls inside and she made a wooden sign saying "keira's room" it is lined with some satin and pink tulle it is very pretty.

If you have people that like to do crafts it is easy to find all kinds of things at the dollar store to make a gift basket from

Hopefully some of those ideas help!

Craigslist, Freecycle, garage sales, ebay, thrift stores... I've been cruising them all over the past few months! Grown up relatives will get wooden birdhouses/feeders hand painted by my kids (naked wood feeders from Michaels or other craft store, $1-5). Kid relatives will get books. I'm thrilled that I can find brand new children's books at garage sales and thrift stores for under a dollar each. That way I can get each niece/nephew several books.

I love doing stockings for the kids- usually dollar store stuff, art supplies, mittens/socks. Its so fun to watch them open them. They also get one big gift from "santa" that they will play with together throughout the rest of the year. This year I've been watching Craigslist and ebay, and they will be getting some really nifty Playmobil. Also craft supplies/sewing supplies for my daughter and art supplies for my son.

Hubby and I give each other gifts that are really for the entire family- like board games.

Homemade "coupon" books, geared to different family members. My sister typically gets coups for babysitting, and when the money is there, she gets a gift card for a retaurant and movie so it's a "date night" package. Other family members will get help with various household tasks, help with shopping (for older folks who have difficulty getting around) and then "romantic" coups for the SO. Kids could get coups for special one on one time with a parent or grandparent....

Dollar stores rock, as do sales! My sister and I are absolutely hard-core shoppers...when we say "shop til you drop" we aren't kidding! We are those people who are out shopping at 4AM on Black Friday and I think the earliest we've ever quit was 6PM and that is only because she had a child-care issue and had to go get the boys. We like to plan ahead on Thanksgiving by going through flyers and websites to make a plan of who/what/where, and we shoot for the killer deals. Last year, we hit Kohl's by 6AM for the Kitchen Aid mixer deal...the one that is normally priced at 269.99....yeah, we got 'em for 129.99 and they were the last two in the store! We were in line for about three hours, and we took turns guarding the spot while the other one wandered around the store adding to the purchases!

Another thing is that we both shop throughout the year, as we see things that would be great for so-and-so. The only problem I have run into was forgetting where I had put the purchases!!! Christmas club accounts are also helpful for saving up throughout the year...I put in extra money, like when I return bottles or get rebates, and it really does add up throughout the year.

This year will be interesting.....my mother-in-law is planning to go to Florida for the winter, probably leaving shortly after Thanksgiving, so shopping for her......some sort of care package. She has expressed interest in an IPOD, but she is notoriously bad with electronics...so Eric's brother and I are considering how to make this work....we think that we'll preprogram it with her favorite songs, but we aren't sure how to set things up for her to sync it......ah well.

This topic is awesome! I've already gotten a bunch of ideas and I hope we can all keep 'em coming!!!

For the ipod idea you can always get her an adaptor that plugs into the wall so that she does not have to fiddle with the computer part of it and then just have one of you change the music on it for her when she wants things added

When she sets up her iTunes account on her computer, It will ask her if she wants to save what is on the iPod or trash it. If she saves it, it will all go on her iTunes.

Then she can add more songs later with CDs or and iTunes card.

Today Kohl`s is having a one day sale (they always have a sale..LOL). 40-50% off.

40-50% off sweaters and tops for the entire family

50% off Home Essentials (dinnerware, table linens, bed, and bath)

50% off Kitchen Electronics

Plus up to 80% off final clearance items

You can get some nice gifts for cheap. They have electric blankets on sale also.

Is there any chance of getting some of these cookie and fudge recipes. I have never made cookies before and would love to try but would prefer to use a tried and tested recipe trather than a random one from a book. Some of the best home baked goodies have been created from handed down recipes that some ones aunt of grannie used to make!

Here are some of my favorites. I usually include a a small quantity of each of these in my holiday gift baskets. Most are really not hard to make either especially the tiger butter recipe. Making rice crispy squares is more difficult!

Whipped Shortbread

• 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1/4 cup red maraschino cherries, quartered
  • 1/4 cup green maraschino cherries, quartered

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2. In a large bowl, combine butter, flour, and confectioners' sugar. With an electric mixer, beat for 10 minutes, until light and fluffy. Spoon onto cookie sheets, spacing cookies 2 inches apart. Place a piece of maraschino cherry onto the middle of each cookie, alternating between red and green.
    3. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the bottoms of the cookies are lightly browned. Remove from oven, and let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer cookies on to wire rack to cool. Store in an airtight container, separating each layer with waxed paper.

Eggnog fudge

INGREDIENTS

• 1 cooking spray
    • 1 cup eggnog
    • 3 cups white sugar
    • 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    • 1/8 cup butter, chilled
    • 1/2 (11 ounce) package white chocolate chips
    • 1 cup chopped almonds (optional)
      1. Line a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with aluminum foil and set aside.
      2. Spray the bottom and sides of a large saucepan with cooking spray. Heat eggnog and sugar over medium heat. Bring to rolling boil, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Boil for 2 minutes.
      3. Fold in marshmallows, cinnamon and nutmeg. Return to a boil for 6 minutes, stirring constantly. As the mixture boils it will become brown. Remove from heat and quickly stir in butter, white chocolate chips and almonds. Stir until well mixed and glossy.
      4. Quickly pour into prepared pan.
      5. Cool at room temperature. Remove from pan, remove foil and cut into squares.

Tiger Butter

INGREDIENTS

• 1 pound white chocolate
      • 1 pound semisweet chocolate, melted
      • 1 1/3 cups peanut butter
        1. Line a 10x15 inch pan with parchment. Set aside.
        2. In the top of a double boiler set over simmering (not boiling) water, heat white chocolate and peanut butter. Stir constantly until white chocolate and peanut butter melts.
        3. Spread onto prepared pan. Pour melted semi-sweet chocolate over top and swirl through with a knife, to create a marble pattern. Chill until firm. Cut into 1 /2 x 1" pieces.

Eggnog quick bread

INGREDIENTS

• 2 eggs
        • 1 cup white sugar
        • 1/2 cup butter, melted
        • 1 cup eggnog
        • 2 teaspoons rum flavored extract
        • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
        • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
        • 2 teaspoons baking powder
        • 1/2 teaspoon salt
        • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
          1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease bottom only of a 9x5 inch loaf pan, or three 6x3 inch loaf pans.
          2. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in sugar, melted butter, eggnog, rum extract, and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. Stir into eggnog mixture, just enough to moisten dry ingredients. Pour batter into prepared pan or pans.
          3. Bake bread in large pan for 40 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Breads baked in the smaller pans require 25 to 40 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack, and cool completely. Wrap tightly, and store in the refrigerator.

Dark chocolate fudge truffles

INGREDIENTS

[*]2 cups Dark Chocolate Chips

[*]3/4 cup whipping cream

[*]Various coatings such as toasted chopped pecans, coconut, powdered sugar, cocoa or small candy pieces

[*]Combine chocolate chips and cream in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH (100%) 1 minute; stir. If necessary, microwave an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, until chips are melted and mixture is smooth when stirred.

[*]Refrigerate 3 hours or until firm. Roll mixture into 1-inch balls. Roll each ball in coating. Cover; store in refrigerator.

Baileys balls (Like rum balls but different)

• 1 package nilla wafers crushed very fine

• 2 cups ground almonds (can do this easily in a food processor)

• 1 (12 ounce) package white chocolate chips

• 3/4 cup light (clear) corn syrup

• ¾ cup baileys liqueur

• icing sugar for rolling

DIRECTIONS

1. Very carefully melt the chocolate chips in the microwave stirring every 10-15 seconds to make sure it does not burn.

2. In a large bowl combine crushed vanilla wafers, ground almonds and melted chocolate chips. Stir in corn syrup and baileys; mix well into a thick dough. Let the dough sit for an hour.

3. Coat palms of hand with icing sugar and roll dough into balls It is easier to do if you have a melon baler to scoop them. Place on a cookie sheet, foil or wax paper to dry.

4. Roll in icing sugar and refridgerate in an airtight container.

Rum balls

INGREDIENTS

[*]1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

[*]1/2 cup white sugar

[*]3 tablespoons corn syrup

[*]1/2 cup rum

[*]2 1/2 cups crushed vanilla wafers

[*]1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

[*]1/3 cup confectioners' sugar

[*]Chocolate jimmies (sprinkles)

DIRECTIONS

[*]Place chocolate chips into a microwave-safe medium bowl. Heat in the microwave for 1 minute, stir and then continue to heat at 20 second intervals, stirring between each, until melted and smooth. Stir in sugar and corn syrup. Blend in rum. Add crushed vanilla wafers and chopped nuts. Mix until evenly distributed. Cover and refrigerate until firm.

[*]Roll the chilled chocolate mixture into bite-size balls. Roll balls in chocolate jimmies Store in a covered container for a week before serving to blend the flavors.