Halloween Foods

Wolfie

I found this one today in the Farmer`s Almanac online today. I am going to make it tonite.

Acorn Squash with Apple Raisin Stuffing

Boiling water

2 acorn squash

2 large cooking apples, peeled, cored, chopped

2 to 4 tablespoons raisins or coarsely chopped dried cranberries

3 to 4 tablespoons butter, melted

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

4 tablespoons brown sugar

In large baking dish or jelly roll pan, pour in around ¼-inch of boiling water. Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds and pulp. Place squash halves, cut sides down, in baking dish. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Combine remaining ingredients. Stuff center of each squash half with apple mixture. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until apples and squash are tender. Stir each squash center lightly before serving. Makes 4 servings.

I only have one squash so I will share it with Chelsea.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a recipe for scary Whoopie pies.

These whoopie pies got dressed up for Halloween - with seasonally orange cookies and gross-out green (but still delicious) cream filling. Goblin Pies

Start to finish: 1½ hours (30 minutes active). Serves: 8

FOR THE COOKIES:

2¼ cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon cinnamon

½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature

1 cup packed light brown sugar

1 large egg

1 teaspoon vanilla

½ cup canned pumpkin

1 cup buttermilk

5 to 6 drops orange food coloring

FOR THE FILLING:

1½ cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature

2½ cups powdered sugar

1 tablespoons vanilla extract

¼ teaspoon salt

5 cups marshmallow sandwich spread

2 tablespoons green food coloring

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

To make the cookies, in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine butter and brown sugar. Use an electric mixer on medium to beat until light and fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes. Beat in the egg and vanilla.

Add the pumpkin. Reduce the mixer to low, then add the flour mixture and buttermilk alternately, beginning and ending with flour. Add the orange food coloring, then beat until evenly blended.

Portion 16 mounds of batter (¼ cup each) onto the baking sheets, 2 inches apart.

Bake 10-12 minutes, rotating sheets top to bottom and front to back halfway through, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean, .

Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.

When the cookies are cool, prepare filling. In a large bowl, combine butter and powdered sugar. Use an electric mixer on medium to beat until smooth. Beat in the vanilla and salt.

Add the marshmallow and beat until smooth, then add the green food coloring and beat until evenly colored.

To assemble, arrange 8 cookies on the counter, flat sides up. Divide the filling evenly between the cookies, about ½ cup per cookie, and spread in an even layer. The filling also can be piped onto the cookies.

Place a second cookie, flat side down, over the filling on each. If you store the pies in the refrigerator, remove them about 1 hour before serving.

I just found this recipe and I am going to make it for the party.

Spooky Spiders

1 cup (6-ounce) semisweet chocolate or butterscotch chips

2 cups chow mein noodles

1/2 cup peanuts, pecans, or walnuts

In small saucepan, melt chocolate or butterscotch chips over very low heat. Stir until smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in chow mein noodles and nuts until thoroughly coated. Drop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheet covered with waxed paper. Chill in refrigerator 15 minutes or until firm, then store loosely covered in a cool place.

So simple, I wish I had thought of it!