Halloween Foods

Wolfie

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was little my granmother would take me trick or treating to all the elderly farmers in her area. So as a tradition I give my kids and the kids of our freinds(who trick or treat us later in the evening) popcorn balls and carmel covered apples.I know it is traditional and all but now a days no one gives them out because it isn't safe. And I don't think it feels like the hollidays with out it.

You can slice the apple and put them on round toothpicks, then poor the carmel over for a smaller less exspensive version(also great for those who have ful beards,like my husband)

Question for all you mommies...

My son isnt quite 2 yet, but I would love to start some holiday traditions with him (like making cookies etc). Is it futile to try it this year? I am thinking he wont understand what we are trying to do, and he wont remember. It would probably be more for me than him. Am I wrong? Should I try? I need the voice of experience :)

It is true that he might not remember it because he is so young....but YOU will. I did things with the girls when they were young that they do not remember but there are things that they do.

This may be the one that sticks in his brain.

Even if it does not, you are starting a great tradition with him. You will be able to say when he is a great pastry chef " He has been baking since he was 2 years old!"

Go for it.

I've never done much cooking for halloween, but I love to put out our decorations (mostly indoor stuff) and we keep a jar stocked with candy corn.

My sis-in-law has made chocolate covered mice before. I'm trying to remember how it was done. They were really cute. I think you dip a maraschino cherry (with stem...that'll be the mouse tail) into melted chocolate and lay it on it's side on wax paper. Then 'glue' a hershey kiss so that the flat side is up against the cherry and the pointed bit of the kiss is the mouse's nose. Then we used halved slivered almonds to make the little ears (very tricky to get them to stand up). Finally make little red eyes and noses with a bit of frosting in a pastry bag.

We also have a recipe for thanksgivng turkeys involving keebler fudge stripe cookie (standing up for his tail)a square base cookie, a chocolate covered cream drop for the turkey body and a candy corn for his head. I actually have one of these (probably mummified) that I keep in a ziplock so I can remember how he looks).

I've been collecting the Halloween recipe books available at the cashier stand for YEARS now - of all the recipes they've provided, this is by far my favorite:

Spider Web Dip

It looks great and tastes great too! Sometimes you have a great food effect, but no one will touch it. The cat litter is a perfect example -great effect, but over the top for being edible... so I do it, but only as a decoration. There is a cake version, but since it's never touched, I just dump a box of grape nuts cereal into a tin pan, and then add chocolate frosting-covered Tootsie Rolls. I think it looks more realistic than the greenish cake recipe I've seen.

I also came up with a great Halloween version of a tasty Pampered Chef recipe. It's a veggie dip they have using Italian seasoning mix and mayo and cream cheese... with a little food coloring it can have a brownish hue, but still be tasty. Piping it in squiggle lines onto crackers or cucumbers, then adding almond slivers as 'wings' and poppy seeds as 'eyes" and you have Windshield Delights!!

Last year i made witches hat calzones

Use cresent roll wraps as they are already a perfect shape, place some pizza sauce and shredded cheese or other alternative filling place another wrap on top pinch together and slightly roll the bottom to make a bit of a brim to the hat. if you are really energetic maybe cut out little stars or moons from some deli meat to decorate the hat. It is a really quick meal to make before the kids go out or a fun food for a party.

As far as baking cookies i would say do it i have been baking with my daughter since she was about a year old she loves to put the cookie cutters on the dough and if thats too hard your son might like to help add sprinkles or something similar to the cookies. Something i have done in the past when my daughter was really small is cut the shapes out while she was having her nap and have them ready on the cookie sheet for when she woke up so she could help decorate.

I don't mean to be a prude or anything like that but I do not celebrate Halloween.

Oct 31 is our anniversary. 6 years this year!

I normally cook Marks favorite dinner, a huge prime steak.

Oh no..you are not a prude. Many people do not celebrate Halloween and that is a-okay in my book.

Halloween is mine and my wife's favorite holiday. This year we are going to take the kids Trick-or-Treating on Friday, the both of us are going to our next door neighbors house for a party, if I can find someone to take the kids for the night that is.

My wife loves to make homemade popcorn balls that has little plastic spiders or anything creepy on them. She pops the popcorn from the kernels then mixes it up with Karo syrup, then makes the balls out of them. She wraps them with orange cling wrap then puts the spiders on and another layer of cling wrap.

Thats such a neat idea with the popcorn balls i will have to try that

Another thing i do is i have a mould for making chocolates and de the chocolate orange then pour it into a hollow pumpkin which i fill with halloween candies like candy corn and black and orange jelly beans.

This was a tradition started by my grandmother when i was a kid she also made bat and ghost chocolate lollipops for us. I have all her old things so i have started doing this for my daughter and next year will do the same for my nephews. This year since one is not born yet and the other is not even 3 months old they wont get them. My daughter will for sure though! I might actually do some for my son as well since he will be visiting soon. I dont usually see him too often but he is getting older now and has been asking his adoptive parents to be able to see me more so i think he will really appreciate the special treat.

I was thinking of doing the spiced pecan recipe with peanuts or walnuts too.

Here is an adult version of candy apples: Bourbon Candy Apples.

Sweet and Salty Caramel Apples.

Witches Broomsticks.

Witches Fingers.

Chocolate Mice.

Cinnamon Apple Popcorn.

Food Network Halloween Party Menu.

I am going to do this one for the party.

Caramel Apple Pie on a Stick.

Ingredients

1 (14-ounce) package caramels, unwrapped

3 apples

3 cinnamon sticks

30 vanilla wafer cookies

1 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions

Heat a small saucepan over high heat. Add 3 tablespoons water and the caramels and reduce the heat to low. Stir the caramels frequently until they are completely melted.

Be careful not to burn the caramel.

While the caramels are melting, pull the stems out of the apples and cut a thin slice from the bottoms so they have a flat surface to stand on. Insert a cinnamon stick into the top of each apple.

Put the vanilla wafers into a plastic bag and coarsely crush them. Put the crumbs into a bowl and mix in the cinnamon.

Dip each apple into the melted caramel, making sure to get it completely coated. Put the coated apples onto a cookie sheet lined with waxed paper. Refrigerate the caramel apples for 1 to 2 minutes to harden up the caramel. Roll them in the cinnamon-crumb mixture.

We eat a lot of orange, red and yellow coloured foods in October. It just seems fitting. I buy lots of orange peppers, oranges, carrots, turnips (yellow), tomatoes, bananas, apples, wax beans, beets and foods like that.

I mostly like my food uncooked.

A lot of you guys sound like you're really great cooks. I spend very little time in the kitchen.

-Susanne

I mostly like my food uncooked.

-Susanne

Do you intentionally eat raw? Or are you like I can be sometimes..Nothing better then a nice big salad or a veggie platter with dipping sauce. That can make me so happy. Just crunching away, lil calories (dip is low low in fat), and adding much needed roughage.

Just asking because there are many out there that eat all raw diets.

Do you intentionally eat raw? Or are you like I can be sometimes..Nothing better then a nice big salad or a veggie platter with dipping sauce. That can make me so happy. Just crunching away, lil calories (dip is low low in fat), and adding much needed roughage.

Just asking because there are many out there that eat all raw diets.

Growing up, my mum almost never let us have sweets: that included jam. I was a very fussy eater, but always ate the raw fruits and vegetables that my mum gave us to eat as snacks. She finally softened and decided it was easier to just give me the raw fruits and vegetables all the time rather than having me sit for hours in front of a plate of food that I'd never eat. For dips I was only allowed cheese and peanut butter. I also eat cereals, breads, muffins, and yogurt. Occasionally I'll eat pasta ... but I prefer it cold. Same with pizza. My favourite pizza is sundried tomatoes and mushrooms. But I like to put it in the fridge and eat it a few hours later.

Healthwise, I think its okay. Ray sure misses Dudley on occasions like Thanksgiving. He and Dudley sure love their turkey! I cooked one for Ray. Neither Trinity nor Missymew like people food (unless its tinned tuna).

I do love reading about everybody else's food choices and cooking. I do use my oven for baking muffins though.

-Susanne

Like I have said before, I am most happy if you sit a large platter of raw veggies in front of me.

I usually will put carrots, celery, cucumber slices, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, bell pepper, broccoli, and cauliflower. I make them when we have a game night.

I am pretty sure I will be making a mini one for the party.

I have another receipe! Simple, quick, and absolutely delish!

Pumpkin Souffle

Mix together:

1 pkg instant vanilla pudding

1 3/4 skim cold milk

1/2 cup pumpkin puree

1/2 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice

Pour into serving dishes. (I like to use stemware). Refrigerate until firm. Top with cool whip and drizzle lightly with maple syrup and walnuts.

If you don't want the syrup and walnuts, then just a dab of Cool Whip will work too! So light and refreshing this is!