Halloween Foods

Wolfie

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting? Bruce and our friends have come to expect these from me this time of year.

Pumpkin Bars

Ingredients:

---------

BARS ---------

1 c

Vegetable oil

Eggs

2 c

Sugar

2 c

Canned pumpkin

1 ts

Baking soda

1/2 ts

Salt

2 ts

Baking powder

2 ts

Cinnamon

2 c

Flour

---------

FROSTING ---------

3 oz

Cream cheese, softened

6 tb

Margarine, softened

1 ts

Milk

1 ts

Vanilla

2 c

Confectioners sugar

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350.

In a large mixing bowl, cream oil, eggs and sugar.

Add remaining cookie ingredients and mix well.

Pour batter into an ungreased 15 x 10-inch jelly roll pan.

Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes.

Cool completely and frost with cream cheese frosting.

These moist pumpkin bars will keep up to a week, covered, in the refrigerator-if they're not eaten up first!

Deb

I will be making Kettle corn. You put 2 tb of oil in pot with 1/2 cup of popcorn kernels. Then you wait for the popcorn to start popping and you lift the top real quick and dump in 1/2 cup of powdered sugar. When the popcorn is all done, you add a 1/4 cup of regular sugar (while still on the fire). Then you can add a bit of salt..so you get that savory/sweet combo.

Wolfie, I treat my DH and DS to Halloween "treats" all year long - my cooking is pretty SCARY :welcome: :D

We used to do the pumpkin seeds as well...always good! Or I would sometimes do spiced pecans.

Spiced Pecans Recipe:

Preheat oven to 350 deg. Line a cookie sheet with alum. foil. Spray w/Pam lightly.

In med. bowl, 1 egg white, lightly beaten with 1 T. water

Stir in 3 cups of pecan halves till pecans are completely moistened.

In a medium bowl, mix 1/2 c. white sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. gr. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. gr. cloves, 1/2 tsp. gr. nutmeg. Sprinkle over moistened pecans, lightly toss.

Spread pecans on prepared cookie sheet. Bake 30 minutes, stirring once or twice. Don't overbake. They keep well in container with tight fitting lid - I usually store them in the fridge and take them out to come to room temp. Can be frozen for longer periods as well.

Have fun!

Chris

Wow! The receipes sound wonderful. I'm always amazed at how well pumpkin and cream cheese go together so fantastically! Yumm! Thanks for the receipes guys! I got packages of pumpkin flavored cakes/cupcakes from Costco the last time I went. It makes fabulous tasting pumpkin muffins/cupcakes/cakes and loaves! Made by Krusteeze! (sp) ......we love to make the cake with cream cheese frosting.

I know what we're going to have for Halloween now! Some of Deb's bars, dipped apples and some of the other things suggested on here!

I have had "frog eye salad" at a friend's house, and it was pretty darned tasty! I'm going to make the pumpkin bars with cream cheese for Doug and myself too of course, but he's not fond of the kettle corn which I wil definitely be making for ME! Yippee! Perhaps even today!

I have my old standby. Pumpkin pie from the Eagle brand cookbook. My son adores it and I have yet to find any pumpkin pies in the grocery stores. Last year my son did not get any pumpkin pie because I was sick through Thanksgiving (Canadian) and Halloween. My kids also love my caramel apples. And I bake cookies and decorate them in the shape of jack o lanterns.

My favorite is simple, but the one Mom awlays made for me. Sugar cookie cutouts with the dough tinted orange. Use a jack-o-lantern cookie cutter. After they have cooled, outline the face's features by piping on chocolate icing. YUMMY!

Last October Chelsea and Natalie participated in a anti-police brutality rally (it is held every year). I made these cupcakes called Vampire Bites.

This is the regular version.

I made the vegan version for the participants. One girl told Chelsea that she couldnt eat them because she was lactose intolerant. When Chels told her there was no dairy in them...the girl ate three! LOL

I made them again for a Buddhist meeting but instead of having the blood drip down I used the cherry filling, black icing and green icing to make little cherries on top of each cupcake.

The vegan version shows you step by step pictures on how to fill the cupcakes and decorate (for reference).

Ohhh, now this is something I will have to share with my collegues in school as I know there will be a little Halloween partying for the kids there during the week off from school...

Hugs and thanks for a superb idea (from another lactose intolerant person as well :lol: :gathering: hehe...

Anna,

The cake in the vegan version comes out wonderful. You cannot even tell! I sometimes cheat and buy canned frosting instead of making it. I cannot remember the brand of frosting but there is one out there that has no dairy in it..

Just check the containers of them in the cake mix aisle if you want to go the easy route.

we also did a party and had friends bring thier own dish in advance i had them tell me the name of what it was and then made a menu we let every one guess what the dish where

Ie.

whitch brew (green chili)

frog eyed salad (fruit salad w/pasta)

troll fingers in blood sauce (pasta in marnara)

swamp soup (Pea soup )

grave dirt w/mud (ground cookies and pudding)

and the list went on.