Finally bought my dollhouse!

mkelz21

I finally decided what I wanted my first house to be.....the Bellingham 455 by DC. I got one this morning off eBay and I can't wait for it to get here. I have wanted to build a house for a few years and I finally bought one- I couldn't get the feeling to go away. My man thinks I am a dork, but I know someone here will appreciate my excitement and giddiness like its Christmas morning.

Now I have to find enough space to spread out and work on the massive beast they call Bellingham.

• 2 weeks later...

So I made quite a bit of progress this weekend. I have the shell built minus the windows, doors, and porch. I also need to decide where I want the interior walls. I can then work on the inside. I did get some paint for the exterior, a shade of green. I am going to accent the outside with some white or gray and nice chocolate brown. I attached a few shingles to see how they would look and I can't decide if I want to stain them or keep them natural... and I ordered some bricks to do the foundation and chimney. I want to get the exterior painted before I do anything else. I only had trouble with the smaller dormer, but nothing a little sanding couldn't fix. The roof has a few gaps, but I think shingles will cover them up just fine.

I think the boyfriend is a intrigued and curious about the house, although he won't admit it. A friend of ours came over and it was one of the first things he had to show him before we watched Ironman. At first Randy (BF) was not sure what was going on because I rearranged the Hot Wheels room- I redid our extra bedroom to showcase his collection- there is not any little kids living with us- but I had to make room for the DH. So if anyone stays the night, they only get the couch now and not a bed. lol

post-2854-1223419838_thumb.jpg

post-2854-1223419850_thumb.jpg

I am waiting till I get it all painted to decide on the shingles. I just was getting impatient and wanted to see what they would look like. I got the first coat of paint on the exterior. I am sure I will be having lots of fun* or not so fun moments piecing together the windows and doors and cutting all the exterior trim.

I got lucky last weekend I managed to not have any homework, housework, and I had a sick BF- so I got to spend plenty of time by myself. I am not complaining. :angry:

Well, alright! Now we know for sure you're "one of us" . . . anybody that rolls up those shirtsleeves and gets that much progress :angry: done that quickly is a "real" dollhouse person! I love your posts - they make me smile as I can feel your excitement. I hope you have lots more fun on it the rest of the week too!

Wonderful house and you are making excellent progress. One thing I would like to suggest is before you get much further is to start primering, this includes all the window frames. Do not forget to primer/paint the edges of the frames as they will show when you put the windows together.

Oh my goodness!!!! I have a Bellingham I bought at an Estate Sale and I have just waited and waited (about a month) and have not gotten anywhere and look at you. I just have minor repairs and then can't wait to decorate but have not clue. I can't wait for you to get yours finished and see it! My repairs include redoing the railing on the porch and I tore off the balcony railing because I couldn't find the same size. I bought what Hobby Lobby had and it was not the same stuff. I am now going to wait...and wait...and hopefully hear from you guys as to what to do next!

I am so excited about this site as I might be able to have the dollhouse I always wanted as a little girl!!!

Hugs

Melanie, if you look at RL houses, it's certainly OK to mix railing styles on a house!You can rig a wire bender by nailing two fairly large nails next to each other on a board and clip lengths of coathanger wire to bend in the middle and use for fencing, and you can use lengths of craftsicks with drilled holes to hold your wire pieces in place; it's how I made the "wrought iron" gate on La Casita:

gallery_8_1766_107489.jpg

So I really do think I have a problem? Miniature Addiction. haha. I was browsing Craiglist today, instead of working, and found a great deal on a DC Farmhouse 505. I am no where near completing the first house but I could let this one get away. I have to convince the BF to drive an hour away with me tomorrow to pick it up.

But I did get a little time this weekend to work on the house. I got some wallpaper picked out for most of the rooms with some accent interior painting as well. I need to Lowe's and pick up some mdf because I need to make some larger divider walls to get the rooms the way I want them.

Also any opinions if it would be weird if there was no bathroom? I think I am going to squeeze one in but it is the only room I am not satisfied with it's placement. Also would it be weired if there are no stairs going to the 3rd floor?

k I really need to get back to work....ugh

• 1 month later...

Kellie,

Congrats on getting your first dollhouse! I also just recieved my first dollhouse as a gift. I have wanted one for about 10 years now...since I was 16 years old and the itch to have one never went away! I can understand where you would think your man thinks your a dork for having one because I know mine probably thinks the same thing. Hopefully he will appreciate it in time like you do now. I know joining this forum has giving me more of an understanding that I am not the only "dork" in this world! LOL! :banana:

Kellie,

I do not think it would be wierd if you did not have stairs going to the third floor. My suggestion would be that maybe you would have individual rooms instead of a house plan. If you know what I mean. Have each room be a specialty room instead, for example, a scrapbooking room, a halloween room, your favorite period in time, etc. Maybe that would be something of interest to you?

The Bellingham is one of my many that I have not built yet. I do love it. I have two built dura-craft houses that are bigger than that one and they are beautiful houses. If you have any questions I would be happy to help. There are alot of posts on here from people who needed instructions for the Bellingham so in the avent that yours are missing too alot of us have them to share.