Winter Coat

Corwin

Well I went to the vet and got his shots done and asked why buddy was chewing on himself a bit to much they can't tell but they said it could be ring worm. So they gave us some cream for it well he isn't chewing on himself except when he gets the cream. Now here is my dilemma his tummy under his arms and the back of his legs his hairy is really thin. Winter coat coming in? Any ideas? He is as borzoi cross.

Corwin

Corwin, it could be his winter coat. Princess is growing a new "fur" and it's enormous already! The hair on her feet looks like a big foot foot already! Also the deer here have not only grown heavy coats already, but they are darker than any of us have ever seen, deep gray almost black in some cases. Even the fawns already are dark and fluffy! Perhaps we are going to have a harsher winter than usual.

True Wolfie, over here one sees signs like that with the wild animals too, we just might be in for a "white" Christmas, who knows?!? Most often we do get a sprinkle or two of snow, then it turns to slush which then afcourse freezes over... And then another snow in mid to late February... We'll see though as swe have had around freezing temp a couple of mornings allready...

Hugs

I don't know for sure my sister is the one who went to the vet. He got his yearly shots, the took a skin scraping and it didn't come back with any thing. It happened while I was on vacation and my sisters dog was here.

My pup has allergy problems that cause him to chew his legs and rear (haunches and upper back near the tail). We give him benedryl. If there seems to be a pattern to your dog's chewing, like he only does it to certain spots, I'd consider allergies.

Don't quote me, but I'm thinking that ringworm doesn't show up specifically in those areas of the body only? Any vets on here?

Corwin -

I'd check with the vet. Perhaps give him/her a call to find out the results of the scraping. Skin conditions can get worse awfully quick and can cause a great deal of discomfort to a dog. I don't think we're going to have too early of a winter here, because the wild jack rabbits are still grey and brown. I'm not seeing any white ones yet. I've not seen the geese form to head south yet, and the wild junkos haven't hit our city yet to feed before they head further south. They usually arrive at least 3-4 weeks before the temperatures drop and the snow hits.

Also, I've not been shopping for a new winter jacket yet .... that's a sure sign that we're not ready for winter yet.

-Susanne

hey corwin! My petey does the same thing he is a mut of a dog but he is ausi shepard mixed with something. I had to take him to the vet they gave him a cortizone shot and meds but they meds didnt agree with him. he sheds all year round his lovly white hair but he is getting his winter coat in now. The vet said to give him a bath with an oatmeal shampoo you can get aveno or a baby wash with oatmeal in it or something for dry skin. It might help. also if he drinks water from outside like a puddle or something or eats deer droppings he might get a parasite and that attacks the skin and the ich and chew the spots. I hope this helps def call the vet and ask or try the benadryl