Kummerow house kit

bookmarm

Does anyone have info on this company? I bought a vintage 1980's kit of a 1/4 scale 'brownstone/painted lady" type row house today. It's very heavy cast plastic that's primed and ready to construct. The details are very nice! It will be a challenge to come up with a color scheme and paint!

I can post a photo later when I find recharged camera batteries. Went mini shopping with a friend today at PJ's (near Charlotte NC). Jeff has wondeful stuff stashed away in that shop.

gayle

I took some pics this morning. The front is in two pieces, with the bay window bump-out separate (and the front steps with metal rails). The sides will glue just behind facade. There are four very plain wood floors and a chimney. The plastic casting is already primed a brick color. The whole thing is fairly heavy and feels like pottery or wood. I'll need advice on glue, since it will mostly be 'plastic to plastic'. I will REALLY nedd help with outside color scheme since it's fairly detailed. I'm a fairly plain painter, so this will be a challenge.

there's ALOT of detail. I didn't get close up shots of the outside walls, but there's brick/molding/gingerbread/vert & horz siding casting. The windows have no glass (yet) and the double front door doesn't open. It's designed to hang on a wall or have as a freestanding structure. I just love it!

I would appreciate anyone's suggestions on glues that will work with plastic to plastic. Hubby said just crazy glue....

I could spend a whole day in that shop! My wallet is always in need of transfusions afterward.

Gayle, I'm not good at directions (and am usually a knitting passenger), so I'm hoping someone with more knowledge of the roads around Charlotte can chime in to help. I think you take an exit toward Monroe. There is a big Harris Teeter distribution center almost across the road from the shop and a children's consignment store next door.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm going to think about paint colors (ecru/soft pink/soft green/dark green? grays/greens/blues?....), but also got to finish landscaping the Fairfield and knitting a lace shawl for State Fair competition. Deadline and delivery are this week. Took some art work and left it last week, but they haven't posted the juried out selections yet on the website.

Andrew/Doogster posted some plastic-to-plastic glue info on the White Orchid thread, but you might want to check out http://thistothat.com . It makes a BIG difference what kind of plastic it is. Don't the directions suggest the glue to use?

Thanks Holly!

I'll check the directions again. Only one page and printed in 1982. Without knowing type of plastic and what was available then, this might be a little challenge. I'm sure it can be done...just wanted to start out ahead of the bumps

Kummerows is a husband and wife team who make Arts & Crafts style minis in several scales. I bought a lovely 1" scale light fixture and vase from them at last year's Philadelphia Miniaturia. You can see them here: Miniaturia 2007

I didn't stop by Kummorows booth until the end of the day last year. I'm making a beeline for them this year!

Jeri,

thanks for the info! I'm glad they're still around. I'd love to know what goodies you come back with next time!

Holly,

The instructions suggest Super T Gap filler glue. I'm not always glue savvy...is this ZapAGap? Crazy Glue? Gorilla glue? Also calls for Wilhold glue for glueing the plastic walls to the wood floors.

The instructions also say that nails can be used to secure the pieces, but to drill holes through the plastic first. Certainly makes sense, and I guess send the nails in with some good glue.