my Buttercup story

shamrockgirl18

well, when i first got my Buttercup at the flea market, I thought I would do an autumn themed house with a Thanksgiving dinner and lots of accessories for fall.

When I started working on it though and gathering accessories and furniture that I already had, it began to take on another scenario.

It's the humble abode of an English professor. There are books all over the place, some plants, a cat looking out the window, a desk with a lamp that would look perfect with a typewriter on it. . .

Since I actually am an English professor, I am just making it look the way I would want it to look if I lived there, and my real house actually is kind of a library and I have 2 cats. . . .

Anyways, I got a lot of inspiration after watching the 1994 version of "Little Women" (favorite book of all time) and looking at Prof. Bhaer's room in the boarding house.

I wasn't able to find any pictures of it, but I'll leave you with these pics of Jo writing and of Jo and Prof. Bhaer

post-3025-1222357440_thumb.jpg

post-3025-1222357445_thumb.jpg

I love the new idea...you will have so much more fun with it as it is a theme near and dear to your heart.

Love that movie - I have watched it twice in last few weeks. I just love the March house in the movie - if I ever get a Willow, that's how I want to do it! :angry:

Ooh, I've got a Buttercup myself (still sitting in the box :angry: )! Can't wait to see pics of yours! I love "Little Women" also. Which is your favorite...the Katherine Hepburn version, the June Allyson version, or the Wynona Ryder version? I've been toying around with an idea for a scene from "Pride and Prejudice" (the Greer Garson version). Gosh, what a wonderful movie!

Lynne

Ooh, I've got a Buttercup myself (still sitting in the box :) )! Can't wait to see pics of yours! I love "Little Women" also. Which is your favorite...the Katherine Hepburn version, the June Allyson version, or the Wynona Ryder version? I've been toying around with an idea for a scene from "Pride and Prejudice" (the Greer Garson version). Gosh, what a wonderful movie!

Lynne

I have seen all of those movie versions:

1933 Little Women: I'm a BIG fan of Katherine Hepburn, but her performance in this movie seems too exaggerated to me. It seems like she's going out of her way to shout all the time and make very exaggerated gestures so that she will appear to be the tomboyish Jo. . . .

1949 Little Women: I like this one better than the 1933 one. Lots of great actors: Margaret O'Brien, Mary Astor, June Allyson, not to mention the charming Peter Lawford. . .the acting is better but the colors of their costumes and on the set seem to bright and pastel and cheerful. . .like they were still showing off Technicolor technology. . .

1994 Little Women: MY FAVORITE! Maybe I'm biased because this is the one that I saw when I was growing up in the theater but I just think the sets and costumes are perfect, the actors are perfectly cast and give great performances and this is the way I envision the characters whenever I re-read the book. :)