What is this type of trim supposed to be used for?

Lynette Smith

I picked up some trim at the Hobby Lobby the other week. After I got home I looked at it and dscovered it was not the type of trim I thought I was getting (the package must have been in the wrong spot!). I wanted molding to place parallel to the steps for a nice, finished look.

When I got home I discovered that it has a chunk out of one side, like for a picture frame only on the wrong (front) side. It would cost almost as much to drive out to return it as it cost in the first place, so I wondered what is it and how should be properly used?

post-3408-1222233950_thumb.jpg

No, one side is like picture frame molding but then the opposite side (perhaps I should say top and bottem since they are both on the shaped side of the molding) has a square cut section like you would use to put something recessed in it like glass, a picture, etc. Its very mystifying, since I've never seen anything like it in a real hardware store's molding trim section.

The package got wet and the cardboard tore, so I feel I should keep it. I just wonder what is proper use is.

If one side is square, (top) and the "v" groove is (bottom) could it be used as a baseboard, with a round electrical wire running under it? How thick is it? I'm sure you'll find a use for it. Nothing goes to waste in this hobby. Everything has the potential of becoming something. Good luck.

Looks to me like a chair rail. In a real house it would be put on the wall about 4 feet or so up from the baseboard -- or whatever the height of the dining room chair backs, so if somebody was sitting in the chair and "schooched" it back against the wall, it would hit the rail and not the wallpaper underneath.

But as someone said, seems like you could use it for trim around a door, or above a fireplace, or as baseboard, or....

Just because something is labeled something, doesn't mean that's it's only use!

Go to the Crafts etc. website, and look under dollhouses (which is listed under crafts, I think). They are Hobby Lobby's supplier and will probably have pictures of all the trims HL sells in the dollhouse section. Maybe you can match it up to one of those.

I was going to say chair rail too. You can use it when you half panel your walls and then top off the paneling with the chair rail. Here's another use for it: when you put your windows in, you'll notice that most windows come with interior trim these days. But it's usually just trim that goes around your window in a square. To add more realism to your windows, use your chair rail to make that bottom sill for the inside. You'll really be glad you did.

And if you want a bit of variety with the chair rail, panel your kitchen or dining room walls 3/4 of the way up the wall and if your chair rail is large or wide enough, you can set plates on it against the wall for that old timey look.