Best house for a newbie

tcmorrison

I have a neighbor 3 houses down who is getting VERY interested in dollhouses. Right now she has my HBS catalog and is drooling over it. That's a good thing we all know. She is now an at-home Mom with 2 little girls, 3 and 1.

She's thinking seriously about buying a dollhouse kit AND hubby says pretty much whatever she wants to get. I'm really excited for her about the support from hubby. I'm just thinking about what dollhouse kit would be best. I'm thinking one of the small ones like the arthur or buttercup.

Any of you more experienced ladies and gents got any advice?

Terri

ps I'm very excited about having someone so close by interested in minis. THIS IS GREAT!!!

Oh goodie, a new mini friend!!!

Well, I just adore the LE Arthur and it is a super easy build for sure :flowers: it all depends on how large she wants the house though...

Looking forward to hearing about what house she falls for, and please do invite her here as well!!!

Hugs

I guess most people start off with something small like the Orchid maybe??

I'm really not one to ask though....my very first build was the Harrison (btw: I've built it, but it's STILL not complete), and even though it's a bigger house, I didn't find it to be difficult.

So I guess it depends on how much she feels SHE would be able to comfortably tackle.

I too would vote for the Arthur...the roof line isn't that hard to work with! And will give her confidence to go on to another house down the road....and then another, and another, etc.......

So I guess it depends on how much she feels SHE would be able to comfortably tackle.

This is pretty much my thought too. My suggestion would be "whichever one speaks the loudest" to her. Some people want to start with something smaller & less complicated to "get their feet wet", but then some people look at one of the bigger, more involved kits and fall in love with the house and that's the one they have their heart set on.

I would encourage her to get whichever house she has her heart set on. If she runs into technical building problems, she could always come to you (and here) for assistance :flowers:

Since i am still a newbie with this i would suggest something with a simple roofline. I found that shingling is quite difficult to try to do around all the slopes on the roof of the Orchid. Its not impossible but i think it is one of the more challenging things about building the houses at least IMO.

I'm thinking about buying her a small house as a "thank you" for babysitting, on very short notice. I still want opinions here as I haven't done any of the small houses.

Thanks for the info on these houses...there's things you just don't find out unless you build one.

Terri

ps I'm going to ask her if any of them have reached out and grabbed her. She doesn't know about them talking yet.