Flooded basement update!

Shelly N

First, Thank you Everyone! I have finally sorted through things and boy do I have a mess!

Most of my doll materials, laces, ribbons and molds I think will recover!

My Avon box full of Micro Mini's houses and kits is completely gone. I did manage to salvage some Metal minis. I had all of the NE house kits even the new ones plus all the furniture to go in them, along with my bliss house from Cynthia howe.

The bespaq baby house and furniture In Quarter scale is gone. All the interior papers everything.

And if you ever wondered if floss is ok to get wet? Unhuh, well at least not in bucketfuls! All the gauze I had for working pp is stained, not sure it will come clean.

I also lost a beacon hill brand new in the box.....a box of the greenleaf furniture 56 pieces, I don't think they will recover.....Oh and an unbuilt brookwood. These items were in the bottom of my workroom closet.

But, the good news is that is all I lost out of the 2 rooms. My grandson lost about 2 shelves of books, his remotes I think are going to be ok. I am drying out the stuffed animals, and boxes of materials and silks.

Again, Thank you to everyone who has emailed me!

It's a major trama and something you need to treat yourself for. You have lost more than items but you and your family have survived and you will gradually replace those items with like items or new ones.

Now is the time to be good to yourself, get plenty of rest and try to not be too depressed. T :lol: morrow will indeed be better.

When did this happen? I just now saw your post. I know how awful this is. I'm still recovering. I didn't lose any of my mini stuff. Our basement was destroyed but nothing in boxes or anything like that. A beacon Hill in the box ruined? It would be hard to lose things like that. We were lucky the TV and other furniture were high enough not to get water. The other stuff was up off the floor also. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. It is very hard to deal with. It's such a mess to have to clean up. I wish you the best.

Hello Pat, We had over 3" of rain in less than an hour yesterday evening, we ate dinner, everyone was watching an Ant show so I decided to go downstairs which is where our living room is to watch another tv show and found the mess! Yikes. We caught it in time that it did not involve the furniture thank goodness. Just the 2 bedrooms which one of them is my workroom the other is my grandsons room.

Shelly -

I've tears in my eyes as I read this. I know how much we all value our collections and stashes of building materials. Packed inside all of my boxes are not only my mini materials, but hopes and dreams. I'm sending hugs. I'll be thinking of you.

I've had a migraine for the past couple of days. Maxalt takes off the pressure off, but sometimes the headaches keep re-occurring for a couple of days. I spend a lot of time either laying on the couch or in bed (lots of the time I sleep), but otherwise I daydream...happy thoughts. This afternoon I was daydreaming on plans for a roombox nursery scene. I find my miniature daydreams very relaxing and satisfying.

-Susanne

I am so sorry Shelly! We've had lots of issues with water over the years--the house I grew up and this house...what a pain! It's such a powerless feeling! I guess the good thing is that you caught it early and that everyone is safe...take care :lol:

I am so sorry to hear about all that you lost. Going through anything like this is so traumatic and draining! Our basement flooded several years ago and we lost everything down there. Nothing of any great value (it was older furniture and such), but the one thing I lost that I was most upset about was a horse rug wall hanging that was my grandfather's. We tried to save it, but it was too badly damaged. It had fallen off the wall and was too waterlogged to save. We had about 6" of water, our neighbors got about a foot of water in their basement and lost everything down there also. Luckily, we were able to save our other neighbors basement with the "bucket brigade" method. We do get a small amount of water occasionally in our basement, but nothing like that first time, thankfully.

Please take care, it is an exhausting chore, that's for sure.

About 13 years ago now we had flooding in our old house - nearly 7 feet of water (yes, "feet" is correct) filled the basement and started to splash into the first floor, before it stopped. We spent weeks salvaging my husbands hand tools...but of course lost the furnace, water heater, washer, dryer, electrical tools (he had an entire workshop down there), tons of other stuff. Most of it we trashed but did try to salvage the tools as many of them were his father's (and so antique). Then of course was the structural mess -- walls had to be torn back to the concrete, electrical had to be redone, water pipes replaced, etc. And with that much water (and no heat or air conditioning) the whole house smelled musty and moldy. It took us nearly a year to get everything out of there and get the house cleaned and restored...and then it flooded again. Fortunately this time it was only about 3 feet, and we hadn't put anything back down there other than the furnace and air conditoner, so the cost (in energy and dollars) wasn't so great. But it's something I hope I'll never have to go through again!

THANK YOU Everyone! Most of the mess is cleaned up now, although, I do still things laying around to dry. Looks like more rain today but maybe not as much!

Wow, some of the flood stories! I know I am not alone!

We contacted the insurance company and they won't cover the losses becasue they say it IS underground water, we have a creek running underneath our house that when we got that much rain it came up from under the house....

The funny part of this whole story is we live on the top of a small hill. All the run off runs off to our horse barns.......

Shelly, I'm so sorry to hear of your ordeal. It must have been terrible to find out that your insurance wouldn't cover the damages. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, that with more rain coming, you all remain safe.

Yuck, Shelly! You might be able to salvage may of your fabrics by rinsing them in a mild soapy solution of lukewarm water, rinse it all out and hit them with a peroxide rinse before the final rinse in clear, cool water; especially the laces & gauze. Unless the silks aren't colorfast, they ought to wash OK in cold water.