Sugarplum

Connor's Mom

I have my heart set on eventually doing a schoolhouse since I am/was a teacher. I am trying tofind the right house, and I thought the Sugarplum might be a good fit for a one room schoolhouse.

I was wondering if I would get some feedback and advice from all you who know all the houses much better than I!

My birthday is coming up next week, and I want to ask for the right things :) LOL

Thanks!

The sugarplum is a darling of a house, it is on the small side, ie I find Lundby furniture working great in there (apprx 1/16-1/18 acale) if one doesn't use the furniture that comes with the kit. I think it would work great as a school, I have seen it dressed like a ballet school somewhere, I know that.

I used a Primrose for my haunted school "Hubble bubble, school of trouble" LOL and that is sort of inspired from teaching as well... :)

Speaking of the Sugarplum thouigh, I really need t o schedule a weekend with my PILs so that I can "play" some with the Sugarplum...

Hugs and looking forward to hearing more about your plans!

Just my two cents, but have you considered the Adams by Greenleaf? At miniatures.com the Adams & the Sugarplum are both the same price and their main floors are similar in size, although the Adams is only one story and the Sugarplum has a second floor.

I've never built the Sugarplum but I got the Adams for my birthday this year & it went together like a dream. It would make a great one room school house. In fact, a one room school house was my original plan for the kit but when I got it - the kit demanded something else instead. (just a forewarning, of all the kits I've built or started to date, the Adams has been, by far, the most opinionated of them all!) lol!

Also - the Adams is the kit used in miniatures.com annual contest this year - so if you got it, you could enter photos of your finished project in the contest.

We have used the Buttercups for many different things. We had a Christmas Store and a Church and Gingerbread House. I was also thing of doing a School because I have Renwal School House furniture. I hope what ever you choose works well for you.

Here is a pic of the Church as Rita revised it. You could possibly do something similar for the schoolbell housing.

i'd thought once of using the buttercup as a one room schoolhouse. as i recall, it has a small anteroom that (with hooks and a shelf) could represent a cloakroom.

for fun, you might want to google "little red schoolhouse" sometime. lots of interesting sites.

The Sugarplum is wonderful for the schoolhouse. With the second level as storage or teacher break room. Also you can consider the Buttercup or the Storybook Cottage. Depending on the theme of school. Victorian, 1900's, 1930's, post-war II or modern. Or for other themes- ballet, art, computers, dentistry, medicine, or music. Anyway you want it will be fine. Be brave and take the first step and do what you want. Michelle

The Sugarplum is wonderful for the schoolhouse. With the second level as storage or teacher break room. Also you can consider the Buttercup or the Storybook Cottage. Depending on the theme of school. Victorian, 1900's, 1930's, post-war II or modern. Or for other themes- ballet, art, computers, dentistry, medicine, or music. Anyway you want it will be fine. Be brave and take the first step and do what you want. Michelle

The Adams Lisa mentioned was intriguing too. I was thinking the same thing about the upper level, having it be storage. I was going to do an "old fashioned" school house (think Little House on the Prarie), so I dont know how accurate the 2nd level is,but I can make it work lol.

I like the Storybook Cottage, but I already have my heart set on making that into an ice cream shop. I am still thinking about my Santa's Workshop I want to do too. The Buttercup could work for that.

OH BOY! I never thought I was going to become this addicted!! LOL I am going to be set for a few years!

My Sugarplum is destined to be a toy shop - but it would make a cute little one-room schoolhouse. The second level isn't quite a full floor, so technically it could pass for a one-room dollhouse. The upper level could easily be storage - if you're going for "Little House on the Prairie", you could put barrels of supplies, a couple of blankets, maybe even some old broken farm implements that got left behind when it was converted to a schoolhouse, a supply of wood for the woodstove, with a rickety ladder set against one wall, so "Johnny" can fetch a couple of logs when the fire needs feeding. You're going to have a lot of fun with this one! :wave:

You can bash the Sugarplum any way you wish, and no one will hold a gun to your head to require you to install the second floor, or punch out the fireplace for it; or, you could make up the firniture with the kit & finish off the second floor as an apartment for the teacher to live in.

I'll bet Valerie & Rita remember the old Buttercup bash site that used to be available.