Robyn

Hi ,

Just joined the site. I have just purchased the Garfield Dollhouse and Im about to start it , my 1st dollhouse. I didnt realise how massive it was till it got here, wow !

Im in Sydney Australia.

I was reading a little online from others about doing dollhouses and the glue they used. I have purchased hot glue and wood glue as instructed on the instructions. But its been recommended by somebody online that wood glue would be better in the long term because hot glue goes brittle over time. Would like to know what others have found in regards to this before I start.

Thanks ,

Robyn

Save the hot glue for another craft. Get out your masking tape, clamps. large rubber bands and maybe a bungie cord. All of these can help hold pieces in place while the glue drys.

Keep asking questions here (none are too small) and those on the forum will help you though your first dollhouse build. Welcome!!!

:whistle: :D:D

I LOVE Quick Grip glue. That has held my RGT home (3/8 thick wood) with the help of nails of course, and I did not clamp at all. Plus it does not stick to your hands like a super glue would. Also, you have some wiggle room with that before it sets.

59334.jpg Dries clear, flexible and paintable. Allows time to position on items for a perfect fit, but without the risk of bonding fingers together! Water and weather proof. All-purpose permanent adhesive. 2 fl. oz.

When puncturing the tube to open it, you may want to use a needle to make a very small hole so the flow can be easily regulated.

Welcome to the forum! :lol:

Now ... back ... away ... from the hot glue. It is not, repeat, NOT a good thing!

You could (I suppose) use a little dot here and there just to hold things in place while the wood glue/tacky glue/Quick Grip glue/etc. dries. :D

You sure are jumping right in there with a Garfield. I'd love to have one, someday. (For now, I'm happy with my cottages and smaller houses. Mostly all still in progess!) Quite a few Greenleaf members have Garfields - check out the galleries!

You will find so many helpful people here, waiting to cheer you on with good advice, clever tips and tricks, and friendly support when you want it. All of this, and lots of humour, too! B)

Welcome to the "little" family, Robyn.

I could be nasty and say go ahead and assemble your Garfield with hot glue and then send it to me to rebuild it when it gets to looking like this Laurel I got last year and rehabbed: gallery_8_1103_172797.jpg

but 1) I haven't got room for it and 2) I have a Pierce now that someone built with hot glue and I'm also going to disassemble & rehab it (no pictures yet, we just got home yesterday after two months' road trip and haven't begun to unpack the camper!).

Hi and :)!! The Garfield is a great huge house. Enjoy it!! Definitely do not use the hot glue. I use wood glue or craft glue and have used the super grip (especially when I'm having trouble getting pieces to stick).

:)

Hi! I'm new here, too. I've been wondering around for a few days - just found this thread. I've been into dollhouses for about two years. I've built two dollhouses but I haven't finished decorating either of them yet. I love the way Minis On the Edge does her houses. I'm going to check into that stone stuff. :)

Hello all,

hadnt been in here for a few days and found all hese messages.

Thank you all, Im sure I will gain lots of info from you all. I have started my Garfield tonight and have done so with wood glue that dries clear. So I wont be using the hot glue gun. Seems everybody says no, will take the advice of those who have been there before :-)

Its a little scarey starting this , its a massive house. I have taken over my dining table, I have no other place to assemble it. My husband has made me a base on rollers, so it will be going on the base once I have completed the base of the dollhouse.

Thanks again,

Robyn

Hi Linda,

Nice to know there is another aussie out there from the same city :-).

I see in your message you have completed the beacon, I nearly bought that one. When I finally purchased the Garfield the shop in Manhattan where I bought it accidently sent out the Beacon Hill to the depot. Lucky I noticed a weight difference of about 11 lbs when they sent me a tracking number, they had to stop shipment and I finally got my Garfield.

Was the Beacon Hill hard to do ? I live in the Bankstown area.

Robyn

Hi and :lol: to the forum!

Everyone already said it about hot glue-- terrible stuff.

I use Tacky glue -- a good tip I got from the good and very experienced people at Earth & Tree (www.earthandtree.com). They also manufacture wonderfully stylish dollhouses.

B)