Wallpaper...

texandziggy

It seems like everyone has their own way of papering and I was just curious how other people put up wallpaper in their houses. Paste? Mucilage? Double-sided tape? Template or not? That sort of thing. Wondering what works best as I'm about to start papering the first floor of my current house.

I use cardboard templates and it works great B)

I do this for two reasons:

1. i change my mind frequently :thank_you: and so its easy to have a new look

2. i use round wire to electrify my houses and all the wires hide behind the templates which it makes it easier to fix any repairs

I mostly put a small amount of glue on the wall and then spread that out thinly which after I apply the wallpaper directly to the wall. I figure that when/if I change my mind I can make the templates and paper those instead...

Looking forward to seeing your wallpaper in place!

Hugs

I can tell you what not to use-spray glue. I used scrap book paper for homes and used elmers spray glue to attach. Once the humidity hit this summer, my paper is not sticking so well. It is starting to have a ripple appearance.

first of all, i don't wire. the oldest dollhouse i have i probably papered close to 20 years ago and the paper is still right & tight & fairly bright (kept out of the sun.) i buy real dollhouse wallpaper. i press it dry onto the wall & crease it where i need to cut (the more you do this, the better at eyeballing the space you get to be.) always cut it a bit shorter than the wall, because wallpaper expands when wet & you can always even it out with trim. i then apply dollhouse wallpaper mucilage all over its back

(but lightly) and apply directly to the wall, fitting along the top first to get the pattern straight. then i scrape down the paper to its edges firmly but lightly with a credit card to get rid of air bubbles & excess mucilage. this method always worked for me.

oh, and i used to swear a lot. B)

re cutting wallpaper: i used to use an x-acto knife and metal straight-edge ruler. then i got handy with a paper-cutter. scissors never worked.

good luck. and always buy an extra sheet of paper (at least at first.)

I prime my walls. I make templates of all walls (round wire is hidden behind the templates), then I use wonder under and IRON it directly to the template on one side then strip off the protective paper and iron my wallpaper to the top of the template. This makes a sandwich - bottom layer - template, middle layer wonder under, top layer wallpaper......the ironing melts and fuses the wonderunder to botht he template and the wallpaper. I use real dollhouse wallpaper. I use lightweight cardboard. I use wonder under from Jo-Ann's or any fabric store. there are no bubbles, no distortion. I tack glue the templates to my house walls thereby covering all wiring. This works for me. No mess, no fuss, and I can re-decorate later on if needed. I glue my celing trims and baseboards, window frames, etc. to the finished piece and it's done!

I prime my walls, dry fit the paper and crease it where it needs to be cut. I them apply mucilage to the back of the paper (my preferred paste, but Ive also used Yes Paste without a problem) and then put the paper on the wall. Ive never had a problem doing it this way. I never rub it with anything because it never has bubbles or creases. It dries perfectly flat. Ive twisted and turned my wallpaper over just about every angle you can think of and Ive never had a bubble or crease, doing it this way.

The only times Ive had problems with wallpaper is when Ive used the wrong paste because Ive been too cheap to buy the right one or to impatient to wait and get it. Ive also had problems when Ive applied the paste to the wall of the house rather than the wallpaper. That has caused creases. Other than those two times, everything has worked out just fine.

I always use real miniature wallpaper or a very good quality scrapbook paper. I remember I used to be terrified of wallpapering but not anymore. I will wallpaper just about anything now. lol

Before I assemble the house, I measure and cut the patterns while the pieces are flat. When I cut the patterns, I leave about 1/4 inch for corners. I mark the back lightly in pencil which piece goes on which wall. Then after I assemble the house, I install the pieces using wallpaper paste applied to both sides of the paper and the house. This is after I primed the walls with Kilz latex. After letting it dry overnight, I cut out the windows and install trim.

I don't use a template. I put 2 coats of semi-gloss paint on the walls and use wallpaper border paste to put up wallpaper.

That's just what I do. It works great. Some of the prepasted papers stick well, some don't. I usually add the wallpaper border glue lightly to the prepasted.

I prime and sand down the walls, size the printy wallpaper to the area to be covered and cut down to fit, spread an even amount of white school glue over the paper, and very quickly apply the paper to the wall... Then I (with all deliberate speed) rub down the paper with a soft cloth to get rid of wrinkles... The glue sets quickly, and too much makes the paper soggy; it is probably not the best way, but so far it is what I do...

It seems like everyone has a different method of doing this.

I prime my walls with primer and then make templates of the walls with cardstock and make sure they fit well. I usually use scrapbook paper that I've sprayed with a matte sealer. Then I apply scrapbook paper to the precut templates and after it's flat and dried I cut the scrapbook paper out and leave about an 1/8 inch surplus around on some of the walls. If I don't need it then it's easy to use the exacto and cut extra off. I apply it with watered down Aileens tacky glue . When I attach it to the walls I do a light layer of the watered down glue and then a few tack spots at the edges to keep it down.

I've tried Mod Podge and I just didn't like how it turned out. I kept getting bubbling. The template method is the most effective for me after much trial and error. Maybe if I used regular dollhouse paper I wouldn't need the templates, but some scrapbook paper is thinner and the cardboard gives it a little more stability.

If I am not lighting I adhere it straight on the wall. Prime walls first. Then I take out my trusty rubbery plastic school ruler, pencil, sharp Exacto knife, old grocery store shoppers card and either Tacky glue or Grandma Stove`s wallpaper glue.

Measure wall height, measure wall length, mark those measurements on back of paper with ruler and pencil, put the ruler up to the line and zzzzippp with the xacto knife. I double check each time. So I do length then check, then do the width and I am done.

Put on the glue thinly spreading it all over but not heavy. Put up and then use the card to smooth out the bubbles.

Everyone is different. So maybe you can take cues from a bunch of us and find your own niche in the wallpaper business of it all!

• 2 weeks later...

I prime walls I'm going to paint or wallpaper. I use premixed RL wallpaper paste in a tub from the hardware store and apply it with a 1" matural bristel brush, like I use for painting.

I use whatever wallcovering material I think will work best for the look I want for a given room; I have used dh wallpaper, RL wallpaper, scrapbook paper & giftwrap. I haven't used fabric (yet) and grass or other natural materials (yet); I don't print wallpaper off the computer, since over time the ink supposedly fades and to go out and buy whatever will retard or prevent that happening defeats the cost-saving purpose for doing it, IMO.

I drop-match the pattern when piecing. Basically I use a method similar to hanging RL wallpaper. I start with the wall opposite to me and lay the paper on it so that the top edge is even with the top of the wall; I have a small wooden brayer (for wallpaper borders) that I use to smooth the paper, and I work from the middle of the wall up, down, to each side & into the corners. Usually the paper is wide enough to reach the corners. Then I match the patterns at the inner corners and repeat the process of pasting the papers to the adjacent walls. When the paper is THOROUGHLY dry I go in and trim away around the windows and door openings. I do one room at a time.

One thing I do differently from RL wallpapering, because it makes slightly less mess, is to spread the wallpaper paste onto the wall, rather than the paper.