might be moving out of state

tracibobs

We lived in Signal Mountian, TN, for a while, mini years ago, and we love the Bristol-Johnson City area to visit, but I'm a Floridian from as far back as I can remember and I don't "do" cold weather! But that said, I also like house #1, and watching the "stick-built" homes going up, a lot of the same technology that goes into "manufactured" homes is used.

My husband and I are in the process of moving from Maryland to Florida in the next 3 weeks and an interstate move is a royal pain!! It's extremely expensive (several thousand dollars) and we've opted to rent rather than buy.

With the real estate market the way it is, it's extremely difficult to get any sort of mortgage. Plus, with a rental, the headaches belong to the landlord..not the renter. It's surprising how many people who can well afford to own a home prefer to rent these days. Some have even sold lovely homes to rent. It seems the American Dream of home ownership is falling by the wayside.

Be prepared with at least a 20% down payment on a house. The banks will scrutinize you even more than they used to for a mortgage. And, of course, the actual expense of moving is quite high.

we'll things did nopt work out as we planed we did not get to go up. my grandparents are only paying because they want to not because they have to their were putting the done payment part they had some money put away they were planning on leaving me but decided that they wanted to help us so that was going to be the down payment pary and jay can make the monthly house payment fine. we had allready got all the quotes and everything from a morgage company on an amout we wanted for a house we found and there was no prob at all we just cant go because the lowes he was going to they filled his spot so he is not on a waiting list so who knows how long it may take. moving im not to worrierd about my aunt said she would drive one big moving truck and her husband would rive the other. and each take a week off to help us their really cool.

I was really upset it feel through i just feel like i need a change in my life i know it sounds silly but i just needed this but hopefuly with in the next year or two it will work out ok.

Jay and i have started to look at land and the prices are not bad we can have our dream house the shell and roof and plumbibg and electic for a really good price and we can do the inside my grandfather is 70 but more like 50 and spent his life building huge house's plus i spent my teens with him building all kinds of furniture so we can finish the inside and that way it can be just how we want and the good thingh is the house is really not that big its a one story with basement 4 bedroom 2 bath plus office its a plan from a manufactuures home that i love the layout and mygrandfather drew out the plains for it for it to be built. Hes kinda excited i love building and we can go are own pace as long as the shell is done and we have a roof the inside can be done in our time even if its messy for a while.

DH & I decided mini years ago that if we ever moved out of this house we'd buy 10 or more acres of old citrus grove (with healthy trees) and put a modular home in the smack-dab middle of it. We had also toyed with the idea of moving to Gainesville when they opened up the UF Alumni Village, but it sold out almost overnight and the waiting list is longer than actuaries say we'll be alive. If we can ever find a reliable contrator to do some of the repairs & improvements we want on our house I'd be content to stay here until I die.

Oh, well duh (smacks own forehead) I thought you meant your grandparents were going to be paying part of the monthly payment, not the down payment. So, never mind anything I said, bc I totally misunderstood and I'm sure I made no sense at all! Hmmm... something tells me I need more sleep! :crazyeyes:

Your new plans of building your own place sound awesome! I think that's got to be everyone's dream. Enjoy! :D

Wendy

we use to go to tn every year my grandmother HUGE elvis fan and one think i remember most was how nice the people were very friendly and jay so wants to be able to see the seasons change i never wanted to leave florida untill about a year ago im just sick of the high cost of living the traffic is awful over half the people are rude. with the money we make we could be living great there but here its paycheck to paycheck its amazing the diff just a few states away can make

Traci, wild horses couldn't drag me back down to S FL to live! I don't know what started it (I hate to blame Disney, like Carl Hiassen does). I love living in the Panhandle, because although it gets cold up here, and we have seasons (just not for months and months at a time), it's not nearly as expensive as where you are. If we ever move for economic reasons it'll be Baldwin County, AL, for sure!

we use to go to tn every year my grandmother HUGE elvis fan and one think i remember most was how nice the people were very friendly and jay so wants to be able to see the seasons change i never wanted to leave florida untill about a year ago im just sick of the high cost of living the traffic is awful over half the people are rude. with the money we make we could be living great there but here its paycheck to paycheck its amazing the diff just a few states away can make

And we're leaving Maryland because we can live cheaper in Florida!!! No kidding...Maryland is atrocious as far as the cost of living!! Especially here on the Eastern Shore...the pay is way below average for a job and the cost of living is very high.

Where you move to in FL makes a huge difference. Our county is a very inexpensive place to live, if you don't have children still in school, because we're one of, if not THE, poorest counties in the State. If you want a big city, neither Jacksonville nor Pensacola is a terribly expensive one to live in. New housing costs are high, along with gas. The power companies will work with you on energy-saving measures, and there are other benefits to owning a home in FL, as opposed to renting, that will cut your costs. Of course, if you want to live on the water your house will cost the total GNP of any two Third World nations, and if your income is slightly above the poverty level, your taxes will pay for those property owners' storm damage insurance premiums... (you can tell what some of my soap-box buttons are!).

Yea the tampa bay area is high in price and everything else and i dont mind the cold i use to live in minnesota now talk about cold it does not get that cold in tn atleast but i did hear somewhere that knoxville does get some snow is it true that would be kinda cool