Nob Hill Dollhouse...

Kitten

I *might* be interested in getting this dollhouse, but I can't find many pictures of it online.

Does anyone have this house or have you seen it up close and personal? It doesn't seem like it's very big 29 1/2 L x 28 1/2 W x 33 H, especially given the fact that it has 10 rooms. I was wondering if the rooms were tiny.

I know I need another dollhouse like I need a hole in my head, but I'm kind of curious about this one.

Any info would be appreciated.

BTW, I just saw that there were two made with that name....the one I'm thinking about is the Skilcraft Nob Hill, not the one by Walmer.

TIA

Thanks Heidiii...I love the one done by Walmer even more than the Skilcraft one.

I'm finding out (by searching on google) just how hard they are to come by. It makes me want to jump on this deal even more.

young lady, how big is your home??!! Where do you have your houses set up at? I moved my 3 into an upstairs bedroom since my son moved out. I STRONGLY put a bug in my husbands ear about the duracraft madison on ebay....we'll see... :dunno:

If you want it and you can afford it, BUY IT!!!! A few weeks ago I thought too much about to buy or not to buy a dollhouse and decided not to buy it. Now, it is gone and I can not have it and I feel bad because I did not buy it.

young lady, how big is your home??!! Where do you have your houses set up at? I moved my 3 into an upstairs bedroom since my son moved out. I STRONGLY put a bug in my husbands ear about the duracraft madison on ebay....we'll see... :dunno:

LOL

We have a pretty decent sized home, but it's not a palace or anything like that. Honestly, I don't even know where I would put another large dollhouse. If I get it, I'll probably store it until I can figure something out. So far, the QA, San Fran and Newport will be displayed in the living room. The MHM will go in the dining room. The rest are upstairs in my craft room.

Come to think of it, I probably could squeeze another 1 or 2 into my craft room though...hmmmmm....

LOL

Come to think of it, I probably could squeeze another 1 or 2 into my craft room though...hmmmmm....

:dunno: Love the way you think! And I think you might kick yourself if you don't get it, I know I would but that is just me...

Hugs

I ended up screwing my grandma's to the wall so there is a little space below for my daughter to park her cars, camper and tent. The room I took over is not that large. I used 2x4's to make a stand for them. Looks a little redneckish right now, but I plan on getting a skirt around them someday. I am wondering how my future QA will work in there. Might have to move another kid out! How is your QA coming? Did I mention that I am jealous?? :dunno: I get really overwhelmed if I have too much going on at once with the houses, so I am really trying to finish up the 3 I have going before I start another. Almost done with the woodstock. I need to go to Joanne's to check out the little strips of wood to make more picture frames. Gosh, I need a blade for my miter box. I have only used one between two homes!!

If you want it and you can afford it, BUY IT!!!! A few weeks ago I thought too much about to buy or not to buy a dollhouse and decided not to buy it. Now, it is gone and I can not have it and I feel bad because I did not buy it.

Same here - Saturday night I saw someone had listed a partially finished Beacon Hill on our local craigslist. I soooo wanted to call on it because the Beacon Hill is on my list of "must haves" - but I ended up talking myself out of it because until ds moves out on his own (thus giving me his room for my dollhouse village), I don't have anywhere else to put another house right now.

Woke up Sunday morning and decided what the heck, I'll find a place to put it - if all the remaining pieces to finish putting it together were accounted for - I was going to get it.

Went on Craigslist to get the phone number and the Beacon Hill is gone..... :dunno:

So if you want it, can afford it and have a place to put it - don't put it off - cause it may not be there later!

Audra, if my husband would ever lift his ban on the basement and family room, I could fit more houses in there. He made me promise that I wouldn't infringe on the basement...that's his "man" space *eyeroll*. And the kids hangout/play in the family room sometimes, so I don't want them to have to walk on eggshells around a dollhouse in there. So my space is limited as well.

The Queen Anne is coming along nicely. I'm still working on the exterior and patiently waiting until I can get my addition to put on it. Then I can completely finish the exterior and start working on my plans for lights/wiring.

I told hubby that I was window shopping to pick out the "next house" I wanted him to get for me....he just grunted, threw up his hands, shook his head and said "greeaaaaat"... :dunno:

I have a Skilcraft Nob Hill. It's in the ICU with the rehab Glencroft and a few other sick houses. I made it in the eighties for one of my daughters, and it lived in the attic rafters for many years while my girls were teenagers and way too cool for dollhouses. It took a great fall a few years ago and broke neatly in to three floors, but needs a lot of freshening up besides being put back together. I've removed the wallpaper, flooring and trim I thought was so cool 20+ years ago and am planning a major bashing to open up the entry hall and enlarge the living room.

It's a nice house - looks great from the outside. It's similar to the Pierce with the "L" footprint. It does have 10 rooms, but three of them are in the tower - one on each floor.

You didn't say if it's a kit or a built house. I did a lot of customizing to the house because I disliked the molded ochre plastic siding and the plastic windows (I saved some for a template for glass etching and they have turned the same yellow ochre as the siding). The siding makes a great template, though. I replaced all the wood except the walls with something better.

I'm very interested to know how this house works out for you.

Carol

I have the skilcraft nob hill kit sans cheap fake plastic siding (gave that junk away). i think the basic shell of the house will look cool when built. I thought about selling it, but i think it is unique enough to keep. hope you get one!

One of my best friends took a closet and made a HUGE dollhouse in it. About 8 floors and separate rooms - more like roomboxes I think in some of them, but it's fabulous and when you open the doors to this closet you just stand there staring...so much to see. She also took a video storage cabinet and made that into a wall dollhouse....with about 9 rooms in it! There are lots of ideas floating around. Besides the McKinley, a man showed how to build a wallhanger in the old issues of Nutshell News....and it was fabulous too! There are lots of places to hide dollhouses. I have a magazine article somewhere where a lady took a couple of her kitchen cabinets and made dollhouses in them. I have another friend who built roomboxes into the waqlls of her home.....her husband cut into the walls and studs to a specified size, and they inserted lovely roomboxes into those openings. They were all lit up as well, and she and I would sit in the dark and look at those scenes come to life. How beautiful they were! So there are lots of idea out there.

That house was on a Craig's listing for PA a few months ago and the price was really reasonable. It was too far away to talk my husband in to driving to get it. I thought the house was a beauty.

He-he, I was going to offer to take a picture of my kit, but ilovecats beat me to it!

It's a neat house, but I wonder why I didn't realize it had plastic siding? I guess it's been a while since I've looked at that kit.

I say, if the house speaks to you, and you can afford to get it, then you should. :::joins ranks of dollhouse enablers::::

Hi everyone,

This house (the Skilcraft Nob Hill) is currently in pieces in my garage. I've been working on it for several weeks now, and I couldn't resist replying to this thread after an impulsive Google search brought it up (in the past, such searches were relatively fruitless).

Almost five years ago I decided to get a doll house, it was something I'd always wanted to do but never had time. I found the kit on eBay and I was attracted to the more unusual architectural features, as well as the fact that it had two porches and it was more than a big box as a lot of the kits I looked at seemed to be. Of course, now that I'm building it I can see how much easier putting together a big box would have been... that cool tower is a bit of a challenge, but at the time I bought it I was blissfully ignorant as to that and many other challenges that were awaiting me. I also liked that it had a more compact footprint, and it seemed to be more reasonably priced than some of the comparable kits.

I don't know what I was thinking. I had a six month old baby at the time, and we were in the process of moving. The kit ended up in my attic for the next five years, until I drug it out almost two months ago because my now five year old daughter had admired the dollhouses at Hobby Lobby and suggested we get one. She was surprised to learn that we already had one. :)

It amuses me that the box says it's for children over 5 and that adult assembly is required. Some. (LOL) What I've also discovered the hard way is something most here are I'm sure well familiar with - the initial cost of the kit is the cheapest part. Buying all the other stuff is where I've spent probably five or more times what the kit cost. Who really wants to cut stair railing from a dowel? I've not got to the exterior yet - I've experimented a bit with the plastic siding enough to know that it takes paint pretty well, and I'm wondering if it would look okay painted or if I really should just go ahead and get siding? I've been working on it for well over a month and am only now getting ready to move on to the second floor. At some point it would be nice to have that half of my garage back, plus I really need to have it done before it gets too cold outside. That plastic siding would surely be easier, and I keep reminding myself that when I bought the house I never intended for it to be a museum piece... but after so much time, money and effort already in it I really don't want to use something that ends up looking cheap and cheesy, either. I guess I have a bit of time before I make that decision.

My biggest frustration with this house has been all the windows. I'm keeping it a relatively open floor plan, but the lack of solid walls is making furniture planning and placement more challenging, especially on the bottom floor where I've used a column and half wall to define the spaces. Overall I've been very pleased with the quality - the pieces have fit well together and it seems as though it should be quite sturdy when it's done... which I'm hoping it will be at some point... :)

My Skilcraft Colonial was my very first build and it was a honey of a house to put together. I tossed the plastic siding too but I used the plastic shutters.