02/16/06 Weird Washings

LPCullen

Jimmy is forever leaving things in his pockets and they always end up in the washing machine when I do the wash, since I don't clean pockets (of course any money that ends up in the washer belongs to me). That's also why his clothes are washed separately from mine.

What are some of the strange things, or not so strange, things that you've discovered in your washing machine after doing laundry?

I too dont check pockets and some of the strangest things I have fund in my washing machine besides change and money are I washed my keys to the van I have also washed hair ties that the girls leave in there pockets. I also have washed a pack of bubble gum which was a HUGE mess. When we had cats they were famous for putting there little mice in the washing machine.Iam sure there have been other things I have washed but those are the most recent items.

Lyn :D

Ha! At first I thought you were referring to finishes for minis, such as "aging" techniques.

When my kids were living at home I never thought to check their pockets until they hit elementary school. I think the worst "surprise" I ever pulled out of the washing machine along with what I thought were clean clothes was an assortment of frog parts. I re-washed the clothes.

As for the biggest surprise I had involving using the washin machine, I was going to wash a load of clothes after dinner. The washer & dryer were in the utility room that opened onto the patio rather than into the house. I opened the lid and began loading the dirty clothes and a snake's head popped out from between the drum and the carcase to watch what I was doing. I stopped and tried to coax her out onto a broom handle I laid across the machine (I was standing out on the patio at this time), but she was having none of it; so I flapped a pair of DS's skivvies at her & she ducked back in and I finished loading the machine & added the soap and turned it on to fill. She finally decided discretion was the better part of valr and emerged, a bit wet, onto the broom handle. Once I saw she was a rat snake & not a poisonous one, I grabbed the broom handle & carried it over to the shrubbery and let her go & then closed the washer lid and went inside and instructed the rest of the family that at no time was the washing machine lid EVER to be left open!

Momma snake continued to return, under our washing machinewas where she had decided the herpatic L&D suite was located and from time to time curious little faces would peek out and scurry back when I did laundry.

CRAYONS are the worst enemy for sure!! I have to check Rachel & Sarah's pockets because I have ruined things because of a pink crayon or a blue one in the white clothes.

I ruined my husbands socks and my favorite shirt because Rachel had a red crayon in her pocket :D It seems the one time I don't chech is always the time I should have ;)

I sometimes check. With four kids you would think I would remember more. :D

It must be a florida thing because I too have found things living in the washer. ;) In our old house the washer and dryer were in a room off the carport. I went to do laundry one day and afer opening the lid a VERY large black lizzard popped out. I let the lid slam closed cause it startled me. We had lots of lizzards at that house and it was not a big deal because they were friendly and did not bother anyone. At first I thought it was a snake ( we had a very nice rat snake that loved my rose bushes too) but after it came out I found it was a lizzard. I refussed to do the laudry for a week unless dh went in first to check for it.

For once I'm glad that we live in a colder climate than Florida. No snakes or lizards here.

A couple of months ago I found my husband's cell phone in the washer (when I was removing the now clean clothes to put into the dryer). The cell phone was not even two weeks old and we'd just signed a 3-year contract. So...we had to "buy" a cell phone. Before that, I'd put his wallet through the wash a couple of times.

Susanne

Hmmm. I'm starting to feel grateful for the screws (the really pointy ones), razor blades, screwdrivers, and other stuff like that in the washer!

One thing though, and don't try this. A $100 bill will indeed make it through the washing machine intact. However, it will disintegrate in the dryer. Wanna know how I know that?

I end up washing alot of nuts, bolts and washers and other assorted hardware, and an occasional cig. lighter. Never had any critters tho. But I did have a baby chipmonk drown in the toilet once. The cats have a bad habit of sneaking in with what they catch and letting them loose indoors to play with. I also had a chipmonk live under the stove for about a week. He would creep out and eat from the cat bowl and then run back and hide. Finally he found the door I left proped open, and went home.

One thing though, and don't try this. A $100 bill will indeed make it through the washing machine intact. However, it will disintegrate in the dryer. Wanna know how I know that?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did it cost you $100 to find out?

Susanne

I've found $1 bills intact in the dryer. I guess just the larger denominations are un-launderable. So, if you're going to go in for money laundering, you can only do it with $1 bills! That must be the Fed's way to cut down on money laundering. LOL!!!

I haven't found anything more exciting than a tissue that has disintegrated and then ended up in tiny bits all over everything in the dryer. And a LOT of dog hair when I wash the dog's blanket! You could knit a sweater with the contents of the lint trap. One of my friends says that when my dog walks by, a whole other dog falls on the floor! (He's a border collie mix.)

Ha!  At first I thought you were referring to finishes for minis, such as "aging" techniques.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me too!

Momma snake continued to return, under our washing machinewas where she had decided the herpatic L&D suite was located and from time to time curious little faces would peek out and scurry back when I did laundry.

Oh My Goodness. I cannot tolerate snakes. I would have had an absolute fit!!! We had tons of water snakes where I grew up and they weren't timid either. One of them attacked my stringer of fish when I was fishing, and when I started to leave, it actually came on land and chased me!

Another time, when I was a kid, I was catching frogs in the pond in our backyard and a water snake chased me and I sat on top of the jungle gym - one of those dome things from the 70's - holding the terrified, croaking frog while my mom killed the snake with a garden hoe. And of course I never knew if they were water moccasins or copperheads or not, so I lived in mortal fear of them!

I hate snakes.

:D

Well, not the little green garden snakes. They're cute.