I am here!

Good to be here -- something about me --

I started with dollhouses at about eight when Santa Claus brought me a wonderful heavy-cardboard dollhouse with lots of furniture. After I used that to shambles, my parents bought me a Keystone and lots of Renwal furniture. (I still have it, but it has a well-used look). Shortly after that, my sister received a dollhouse also. We invented elaborate stories for the occupants and their friends, and even drew up a detailed map of their town. We made furniture and other household goods, and turned all sorts of items (including a kitchen chair) into houses for their friends.

I could not imagine not having little people in the houses, nor not knowing details of their lifestyle. I even know the locale, which is almost always Fredericksburg, Virginia, and the time is always the present. My philosophy is that I don’t just build dolls’ houses, I build dolls’ homes.

My current dollhouse mania began when my sister arrived one day with an RTG Alison Jr. - type dollhouse kit. I put it together, decided it was too small, broke it apart, bought another, and bashed the two together. Thus began my kit-bashing “career” as well. My favorite architecture is Georgian. Shortly after building the kit, I saw a beautiful front- opening Georgian in a British magazine. I couldn’t afford it, plus I wanted some modifications. I was stymied until my husband said: “draw up the plans; we’ll build it ourselves”. This is my “rather large” Georgian and started my custom-building phase.

I have my Keystone and it is still inhabited by the Mason family. I have “the original Rowbottom Manse” - a kit bashed, unknown brand (from Target) Victorian; Badger’s Cove-a kit bash of a Corona Buttercup with a Dura-Craft Ashley; Toad Hall - a bashed Greenleaf Glencroft; an unnamed RGT Thornhill; Abigail’s Teashop & Bakery - a custom, Colonial-style, octagonal building; and a custom Georgian that my family has named “La Extravaganza”.

I like custom building and kits, but since something always compels me to bash a kit, maybe I am really just a custom builder at heart.

:lol: