scrapbook paper vs. wallpaper

miniwendy

I was "handed down" a bunch of 12x12 patterned scrapbooking paper. Lots of lovely colors and mini prints. Its a little thicker than regular writing paper, but doesn't have that rubbery type surface texture that wallpaper usually does.

Can it be used for dollhouse wallpaper easily? And should it be used or do you really need to go with paint/doll wallpaper? Is there something that I can paint over its surface to protect it and make it more dirt proof? I'm planning on giving the house to a friend, so I want it to last reasonably well.

Thanks for helping me :)

Wendy

Scrapbook paper works just fine as it is, as wallpaper, and generally is much cheaper than "dollhouse wallpaper". Do you know if it is "acid free"? (Most paper for scrapbooks is...) That means it'll last a long time..a GOOD thing! :) I don't think dollhouse wallpaper has that rubbery feel either (like regular house wallpaper does).

Someone else will have to talk about how to put some sort of "finish" on it. I just diluted Aleen's white glue with a bit of water, applied that to the wall, and laid the scrapbook paper in place. Then smoothed it out with an old credit card, and did that a few times till the glue started to dry..then left it alone. It bubbled a bit, but then dried flat, and seems just fine.

I have used both scrapbook paper and things printed from my computer the same way for both wallpaper and flooring. I glue them with Mod Podge and then coat them with a thin layer of it after it has sat for a bit to give it whichever finish I want (glossy on the floor and matte on the walls). I have found it usually works very well.

Cool!! (although my daughter has just spotted the scrapbook paper and is begging for all the pink floral pieces so I may have to hide it :) )

And the printables info is great- I didn't know there was anything like that out there. You guys are an absolute wealth of information!

I must apply that too thick or something..it never seems to dry properly, and the items remain sticky. I've tried it on various printables without success. :)

Hi Ann, I have found that the brand "Plaid - Patricia Nimocks" clear acrylic matte sealer (in a spray can, with blue and black labels) works great. It's in the craft section at our Walmart. Hubby got me some Krylox matte sealer spray, but the second coat seems to whiten a bit... Suitable for some aging contexts, I guess, but not as I wanted at the time...

I have used the Paricia Nimocks and it is wonderful. I use scrapbook paper all the time. However I just bought 4 rolls of wallpaper on sale for a dollar a roll. There is enough in a roll for an entire room. I think I lucked out there. But scrapbook paper works great that is what I have been using and I have had no problems.

• 12 years later...