need siding help!

miniwendy

Hi, I'm new here. I think I bit off a bit more than I can chew for a first dollhouse! I had thought that it would be easier to rehab/finish up a partially done dollhouse than start a kit from scratch, but I'm beginning to realize that maybe this wasn't the best way to go.

I picked up a partially put together house off of Craigslist. I think it is a Lafayette, but quite a bit of the trim peices are missing, so I'm not entirely sure! The person who built it glued the major pieces together (walls, floor, roof etc.), attached the windows and trim, glued on all the shingles and then spray painted the entire house a single color without protecting anything from the spray (picture spray spattered windows etc.). Also, there are large hardened paint drips and runs on the exterior and giant glue blobs.

So, I ordered siding strips from Greenleaf and thought I'd side the exterior and just cover up all the problems.

Sounded easy. And I'm sure you experienced folks could do this with your eyes shut! But, I'm having problems. The biggest of which is the siding curling up incredibly when I put it on. I tried laying heavy books on top to keep it flat, but then the siding usually ends up splitting. What am I doing wrong? I'm using Allenes tacky glue, but tried the yellow carpenter's glue and that didn't seem to work any better. Help!

Thank you! :blink:

I'm no expert in siding but I think water based glue is what makes it curl up. I sided a whole house without overlapping and held it down with weights but it took forever. If I do siding again I'll use Quick grab glue. It works great for shingles also. :blink:

Quick grab glue is a solvent based (non-water based) glue. You can get it from miniatures.com or WalMart may have it. (My local walmart has it in the craft aisle). Quick grip could be a bit messy and stringy but it dries very quickly, dries clear, and will not curl the siding. If you're doing the whole house, I recommend picking up 2 tubes so you have enough.

Also, if you lay books on the siding right after you glue it down, it shouldn't splinter or break the siding as long as you're weighing down a straight, flat side. If you try to uncurl the siding after the glue dried, that may be more difficult to do without breaking the siding.

You can apply the siding with wood glue but you would immediately have to lay weights on top of it to keep it flat while drying. Start by clamping the ends of the siding wherever possible with binder clamps, or regular clamps. Then, lay a piece of wax paper on the siding (to prevent any glue from getting on the weights and to protect the siding) then apply the weights. Masking tape, clamps, books, etc., are all good things to keep siding down in addition to heavy things.

Work in small sections if you have to so you can make sure the siding doesn't curl up again and so you have enough weights to keep the siding down.

Aileens' also makes a wonderful quick grab glue.....and it is about the best and very fast drying! Good luck with your project. Doing a rehab is definitely a challenge!

I'll try Walmart for some quick grab glue and give it a try.

I may just buy a dollhouse kit (something basic), build it and come back to the rehab later once I've developed some more skills. I've been thinking "kindling" thoughts a little too frequently with this project!

Thank you!!

Wendy

Wendy, take a look at my "Laurel rehab" album's "before" pictures; every bit of it was originally built using hot glue (including the window plastic!) and none of the inside had seen paint or sealer.

gallery_8_1103_172797.jpg

gallery_8_1103_130685.jpg

On the subject of siding (and shingles), I use Probond wood glue. Less is more. I run a fairly narrow glue bead and spread it around thinly, then lay the siding strip on and tape the lower edge. I stop every three or four rows and weight them down.

• 12 years later...

I too am trying to figure out best way to glue siding on with least amount of work. I tried wood glue and was very disappointed that it didn't take. And my hot glue didn't take either!!

I'm going to try the quick grab glue. Can that just be glued only? I don't want to be putting weight on it to make it stick.

thank you

@thumblelina

Sometimes you have to get creative with clamps. I use clothes pins, bar clamps, or masking tape to hold siding in place. I like Aileen's turbo tacky, but you might still need to hold stuff in place.

Are you able to the turn the house so the side you are working on is flat? That way you are not working against gravity?

Also, try to do a few of the lower boards completely around the entire house so your corners meet consistently.

Edited by Mid-life madness

I use E6000. Be sure to use it in a well ventilated area. You will need to tape the sheets in place, but it works well, and is easier to deal with than white glue for this purpose.

• 1 month later...

I've been using the quick grab glue  and had to succomb to using something to weigh it while drying, but it's been working!! And I am very happy as I move toward finishing. Then onto the shingles. Does anyone have any thoughts on shingles?

• 3 months later...
44 minutes ago, Kiki1955 said:

I'm having a problem too, I'm just finishing the Garfield and getting ready to put on siding......can't weight it down as the house is almost complete. How on earth am I going to do this?

Use the Aileen's turbo tacky glue and a a couple dots of hot glue to temporarily hold until the tacky glue dries completely.  Sometimes you just have to get creative with clamps, clothespins etc.....It won't be done in one day. You will need to let sections dry.

When I get around to building my Garfield I'm considering finishing the exterior with some combination of stonework (carving/ sculpting spackle or joint compound), brickwork (sandpaper bricks), stucco and shingles.  The Garfield I have doesn't want clapboard siding anywhere.