Scoring the exterior of a house

Just One More

I have a Hofco house that is scored on the outside walls to resemble siding. I also had a RGT house that was done this way. Do you think it would work on the 1/8 inch houses and what tool would you use? The lines could be drawn before assembly so that would be the easy part. The only siding I've ever done on a GL house was with the siding provided but not overlapped. I've used purchased siding ages ago on an appleblossom and that was much easier than a strip at a time. Scoring would be easiest if it would work. Has anyone ever tried this?

Pat, I personally haven't done it, but when I bought my Emerson Row, the previous owner had begun work on it and that's how he did the exterior walls. I can only say that it looks good done that way, but again, can't tell you how it was done.

I almost feel bad that I'm going to be covering up all of his hard work with paperclay once I'm ready to start working on it. :blink:

I've scored the chimney on the Washington 2.0, I used a metal ruler and an engraver, it does work and, It looked o.k. I prefer to put varnished brick printie on chimneys however, I'm really not excellent at doing straight lines. I also like sidding on a house, it's easy to overlap, and fast if you use quick grip glue. I suggest you try it, if you don't like it, side over it, or sand it out and paint. It doesn't need to be scored very deeply.

There is available at most any store that sells hand tools, what is called a scorer, or scribe. It is just about like a pencil, with a sharp point on one end. It is extremely hard metal, and it will scribe or score wood. I've used one for small pieces of wood that I used for making furniture. I would think you could easily take a wall, clamp a straight-edge on it, score the line, and move the straight-edge down to the next one. The tool is very inexpensive. I got mine at Lowes.

There is available at most any store that sells hand tools, what is called a scorer, or scribe. It is just about like a pencil, with a sharp point on one end. It is extremely hard metal, and it will scribe or score wood. I've used one for small pieces of wood that I used for making furniture. I would think you could easily take a wall, clamp a straight-edge on it, score the line, and move the straight-edge down to the next one. The tool is very inexpensive. I got mine at Lowes.

Thanks for the info. I'll get one at Lowes. I know on some of the houses the grain may go across on one wall and up and down on others so will have to experiment on scrap to get the feel of it and see if it will make a difference. I have a metal T-square. I'm always wanting to try something new. :)

I've used a scriber but prefer to use the back of the point of a utility knife blade with a steel straight edge for floorboards. I think I'd go back to the scriber for siding, though. If I want the siding lapped, though, I still think the GL siding's the bomb.

• 2 weeks later...