Little update on the Beacon Hill

thystle

I finally got some pictures, using our old camera, so the pics aren't that good, but you can see what I got. She's a beautiful grand lady, fallen on hard times but hopeful for a bright future!

The cigarette smell is almost gone, have to get right up on the house and sniff, so I have been able to start fixing her up. Right now, it looks like a disaster! I took the stairs out, sanded and reglued them and started staining them mohogany--she wants all her inside trim done like that, so out it comes! I've been sanding everything I can reach, will dust and wipe down so I can lay wiring and prime the house.

Since the house was put together with hot glue, a hair dryer is doing a good job of loosening things up, except the odd parts that seem to be put together with wood glue (very little of it). Everything is loose and falling apart--I forgot the tower was sitting on top and bonked myself a good one trying to get the old siding off. :blink:

Let's see if I can put a picture here:

post-3225-1215788313_thumb.jpg

I'm sure she'll look good as gold when you're done with her...

I admire those of you who can rehab houses/take them apart...I'd be a nervous wreck worried that I would break some of the wood. I don't have much patience for rehabbing.

Mohogany stain .... I can almost see what she will look like when you are done. She is going to be elegant when you are finished. I can't wait!

I have been sympathizing with you on the smoke problem (I have asthma).

Yea, I keep having nightmares that I'm going to take something apart and end up with a pile of splinters! I've never done anything like this before.

Loretta, I hope she looks half as good as the BH's I've seen on this site. Ciggy smoke and asthma: :blink: LOL

She's going to be beautiful when you finish her!!! I'm sure too, that when you finish rehabbing with new glue, paints, stain, etc., that the yucjy smell will be gone too!!! I don't like cig smoke either, it makes me ill. I'm using miniwax mahogany gel stain in my Beacon Hill and love it!!! :blink:

I rented an apartment once that had terrible smoke smell in the kitchen cabinets. I painted the total insides, top and bottom included and you could no longer smell the smoke. That should work on your BH. Paint seems to seal in the odor and the cabinets were really bad.

This is so weird....neither Doug nor I smoke, and yet sometimes I can smell cigarette smoke in the house. Perhaps we are haunted? The closest neighbor is about 1/4 mile away..... I know deer and bear dn't smoke! Princess doesn' indulge..... Anyway my 2nd husband smoked those little cigarello things.....boy did they stink. Everything smelled bad. The car, the bedroom, the kitchen, everything literally stank. I hate that smell...probably is why he is no longer my husband......

Thanks all, for your help with this house. :) After a good cleaning and sanding, I'm in the process of painting--in fact, she is upside down right now so I can reach the ceilings!! It's a good thing this house is so lightweight, cause it's way bigger than it looks in pictures.

Wolfie, that's weird about smelling smoke--I do that sometimes, figure it must be the wind carrying it, as no one near me is a smoker!

Anyway, I am moving along, got two coats of stain on the staircase, will possibly do a third after I check on it today (had to take a day off, my carpal tunnel/bursitis was acting up). Still not totally decided what the house's "story" will be, but I think I will have lots of Victorian elements remaining if the house is a more modern look.