Do you ever have this problem?

keinanna

I ordered some furniture online it is proper scale but now that i have it i am finding that it just does not fit well in my Orchid. It is not fancy or anything in fact it is play quality furniture for the kitchen but the room is just too small. Its kind of disappointing cause it is not something i would want to use in my garfield. I am thinking i am going to be forced to build an additional room just to fit the furniture. Is this a common problem buying something for the house only to find out there is no way it will fit nicely inside?

Well quite a few of us here are looking for excuses to build more houses, so I think having furniture that needs a house is a perfect excuse!

Haven't really had the issue as I've bought most furniture in a shop and seen whether it'll fit. But yes, sometimes rooms in dollhouses are smaller than in real life and not enough furniture fits into them I think.

You could always just do a room box for the rooms of furniture you have that won't fit.

Muriel :)

I've found I can sort 1/12 furniture into 3 groups very small, medium and large. It depends on the manufacturer, Make note of who made your furniture in the future you will know that if you want larger type furniture you can order from them..

I have some bunkbeds that are waiting for a couple of large houses. ( and some dining room or kitchen furniture)

My biggest problem so far has been finding a small but not too small bathroom set.

I solved my Orchid kitchen problem by putting the wall in the very middle of the house. I notched out a "slot", so to speak and put the partition in the center of the front door frame. The little people can enter and go to the kitchen, or livingroom through the same frame, and the door clears it perfectly. Has your partition been put in solid already? Perhaps moving it would help to fit the furniture in. Good Luck! And ya, there's always the next house. I've actually bought houses to "fit", some furniture, lol Now, that's obssessed!

The partition is in and sits right against the door frame even if i did move it over i dont think there would be enough room for this furniture to look right. The room is just too small. I can fit it if i had to but because of the doorway and the front window it just does not work the way i would like it to. BUT being that this is a house for my daughter i wanted playable furniture and this stuff is perfect very solid stuff. So that being said i dont think i would want to use this in a larger more elegant house it would just not work. IF i block off the doorway it could possibly work like i have it in the picture but ideally having more room so i can have some cupboards and maybe even a little table would be nice.

post-3185-1215760560_thumb.jpg

Oh and about buying new houses just to fit furniture i have not done that yet. But i dont think i would NEED that as an excuse everyone here already knows i am an addict so they know better than to deny me a new house. I have been talking to my sister about the possiblity of wanting to move and the other day said i was looking at houses she thought i meant minis and told me i need help since i am too obsessed. She just does not understand :)

Another reason to find another dollhouse to build "down the road." You can never have too much money or too many dollhouses! It keeps you busy and off the streets.........LOL

Oh yes definately!

I have a couple of sets of living room furniture like that. They are too large for one house but look too small for others. I want to recover them with new fabric as well but it's frustrating that they don't look quite right in scale. I have alot of dollhouse furniture and because the items don't look right in certain houses, I purchased more. I have a ton of furniture and still no furnished dollhouse, isn't that funny? I'm afraid to furnish a house due to my cats. They are theives and are destructive. So as soon as I get a cat free room together I can furnish a couple of my houses.

I have been lucky so far my cat has stayed away from the dollhouse and has no interest in it. I did however find out that my laptop fits perfectly in the living room of the dollhouse. I was doing some updates on it and installing new software so while i was waiting for it to finish i set it inside the dollhouse since i have no extra desk space at the moment with my dollhouse and supplies taking up most of the room on my desk. It worked great! i guess if nothing else the dolls could have a really big screen tv.

My partner suggested for an idea for a tv to somehow mount an ipod in a dollhouse not sure how that would work but might look interesting

I have boxes and boxes of furniture that I have bought, for a house and then it did'nt fit !!! LOL. I have soooo much furniture I started hiding it from my husband (shame on me!) and when I gave a dollhouse to my BFF I of course fully furnished it.(So I could get another to build, of course) I went looking for some of the furniture and found like 5 or 6 boxes, I was so amazed at how much stuff I have. :blink:

WOW it's so addicting, I love minis sooo much!

Jacki

in Smoky California

This has happened to me with some of the smaller cottages so now I measure my rooms before buying furniture. I also cut out templates of the furniture I want by its measurements and place it in the rooms to see how it will look and how much space they will take up. This saved me from buying extra for my Willowcrest.

I have been lucky so far my cat has stayed away from the dollhouse and has no interest in it.

My cat usually has nothing to do with my houses unless I have one out and he's investigating. He used to lay in my Newport Cape before I put the upstairs walls in and he became too fat to fit in. Or so I thought until two days ago. I have it stored with the front towards the wall and the rooms facing out in the corner of my living room. There is a recliner sitting angled a bit in front on it, but I can still walk back to it and play with it. So, my cat, who never bothers it, the other day jumps on back of the recliner and pushes himself into it by backing his behind into it. He's so fat that he pushed everything out. I had to pull him out of it and he hasn't touched it since. I still don't understand it.

I don't buy furniture for the most part, unless it's cheap dollar store stuff or Michael's hutches. I try to make most everything, but if I do buy something I try to make sure it will fit. I lose stuff too much so if I bought a lot of furniture I'd just lose it.

Just a thought here, if your Orchid is to be a play toy for your daughter anyway, why not find the piece that came out of the doorway in the partition, and close it off? The RGT houses do not have doorways between every room and they still can look pretty good. This is also why they are more spacious. I've had to remove doors, and move the occasional window, on some kits to make stuff fit, that I really wanted in there. Maybe it's worth a try. Good Luck, I'm sure you'll figure it out. This is how I separated mine, if that helps.

It will fit just not in a way i am really happy with. I have a possible layout which is in the picture. I really wanted to have cabinets but i really dont think thats going to happen. if i block off the doorway the corner shelf i think will be nice in the kitchen. What do you think? The furniture is not finished yet but it is really only there on a trial basis anyways

post-3185-1216072055_thumb.jpg

I think that House of Miniatures kits are usually of a consistent size, except the sofa, which seems too big. Unfortunately, Bespaq and the highend competitors also seem right in scale for most uses (unfortunately because they are expensive). You might try 3/4 scale for small houses like Lundby and Ideal, Renwal (but some are plastic but very nice). After some mistakes, I dont buy anthing unless I have the dimensions.

Good luck and of course, as others have said, build another house!

• 2 weeks later...

With the furniture you have in the picture, you can do cabinets above the sink and the shelf above the table, or put a stove where the table is.

This and the fact I can't afford to buy any more ready-made furniture "on spec" is why I now make all my furniture.