Orchid door and bay window

Wow I cant believe how many posts there are here about the Orchid! but im adding to them right now lol

I got my orchid from A.C. Moore already built as a shelf model. So my orchid is a rehab. do you think that i could possibly get all the parts to make the door including the plastic from the company? it was the only thing missing from my orchid when i bought it already made...that and the front porch railings but i replaced them. i dont want to make my own door and i really dont feel like altering the hole in the wall for a houseworks door.

Also, does anyone know the dimesnions of the bay window (Im not home) and is this close enough in size to fit? http://www.miniatures.com/hbs/global/Index...PRODUCTSKU=5008

I would call Greenleaf's Customer Service. I am sure you can purchase the needed parts. I haven't measured my Orchid bay window, and can't right now, so maybe someone else can help you there, but I would consider just getting all the parts from Greenleaf.

• 3 weeks later...

i just put the kit window back on the houseworks one is too big and i dont feel like cutting a bigger hole. having problems putting the roof back on the bay tho since it was already shingled. i gotta get some more aleens glue cuz elmer is too runny lol.

• 2 weeks later...
i dont want to make my own door
I used to think that way, and then I got the Laurel to rehab. I had big scraps of basswood and craft sticks and some ornamental molding & stripwood, and not any extra money, and I fiddled around with it and discovered that doors and windows aren't difficult to make at all!

• 1 month later...

Well since I was too lazy to call up greenleaf for new parts and still too lazy to cut the hole bigger for a prefab door I ended up making my own (with Hollys words dancing around in my head) from a piece of scrap wood, part of the broken railing from the orchid that I had saved, and a piece of decorative plastic that was perfect for a window! I just need to put some trim around the window and possibly add a mail slot and a kick plate and it will be done.

gallery_1884_2081_27009.jpg

thanks holly. i finally got sick of seeing a hole in the front of the house lol. Funny thing is that i have a ton of little pieces from random things that are perfect for making my own stuff. my grandma loves making stuff on her own too.

There's always a cheap, easy alternative, when faced with a dollhouse snag! That's why I, so love this hobby! My Orchid bay roof is made out of popsicle sticks, as it was missing from the kit, and the octagon window casings I traced and cut out of a thin craft corkboard sheet. I'm glad to see you decided to make the door, yourself, and it turned out fantastic!

gallery_1884_2081_12749.jpg

I put some trim (painted cardstock) around the window and put on the hinges. I think its looks pretty good now so im not going to use the kick or the mailslot. Still no batteries so this is from my cell camera. poor quality

• 4 weeks later...

its on a basket weave chest full of old VHS tapes that i cant part with after switching to DVD lol. we rarely open it so it doesnt need to have its own base. plus i want to be able to switch between grass and snow as the seasons change.